1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

From childhood I like to watch Weddings

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by iyerviji, Jul 2, 2011.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

There is a saying "Marriages are made in heaven" and that one's wife another person cant marry. A guy had come to see me though he liked me could not marry me because he was short and I was tall. But he did not keep quiet . When he went to the astrologer and came to know that my husband's horoscope matches mine , he told my husband that I will be asuitable match for him. That is how I was married .

Earlier Indian Weddings were for four or five days. Relatives used to gather in the house where the boy or girl used to get married before one month only. There were no caterers or contractors for marriage that time.

My sister's marriage was the first marriage in our house. During her marriage my grandmother took care of everything. She bought 100 kgs rice and she only cleaned it. Bought for her the steel items from the Barthanwalli only except for some items like Filter etc. Since it was the first daughter's marriage my grandmother was worried that the marriage should be performed well and no problems should be there because those days if sambandis are not looked after properly anyone can stop the marriage. So she prayed to God that she will offer 1008 kozakattai to Lord Vinayaka and after the marriage was over successfully she offered 108 kozakattai every Friday.

My sister's marriage was performed very grand. Thousand members attended. Since no caterers or contractors we only had to buy everything like provisions and everything needed for the marriage. The sarees and dresses for the bride and bridegroom, the steel, pithal and silver vessels for the bride, the jewellery, umbrella, mat, stick and fan for kasi yathra. Like this so many other things.

Buying the sarees and jewellery is not a great thing but the real paitence is required when everyone comes home to see the sarees, jewellery etc. To show each and everyone and keeping it back safely is a big task. I was happy that I could manage showing to everyone and keeping it safely. Helped my sister in getting the blouses stitched. Bought for her the best in everything.

The cook was an expert and everyone liked the marriage feast very much. My grandmother was very happy. Sister's inlaw's were also very good. When my sister left after marriage I cried the most as we were very close and felt more sad because she was going to Delhi after marriage.

Evening there was Mappillai ashaipu when the bridegroom was taken in a car which was decorated with flowers and near him all children sat and he was taken round. Later he was taken to the temple and the engagement ceremony was performed.

It was two days marriage. On the first day evening they had Engagement when the girl and the boy were given new dress to wear. To the bridegroom the girl's brother gave the dress and later put chandan kumkum to the bridegroom and also the garland and the gold ring. To the bride the bridegroom's sister gave the saree to her and later applied kumkum and chandan to her, put the garland and also ring to the bride. Those days the bride and bridegroom were not allowed to sit together during engagement.

Next day morning vridham was performed , then kasi yathra, exchanging of garlands and finally the marriage.

I missed my parents and also my grandmother (my mother's mother) during my marriage.

My marriage was performed by my brothers. My elder brother and bhabhi only did the kanyadanam. My in law's family was a big family but they were very nice people and never expected much from us.

During Marriage Reception all my colleagues and bosses came for the marriage. My boss told my husband till now we have take care of her now you have to take care of her. I felt so touched when he said that. My cousin's daughter was the center of attraction during my marriage as she looks very beautiful.

Now a days the marriage is given on contract and everything is looked after by the caterers. So less work by the families. They have only to buy the sarees, jewelleries and whatever is needed for the marriage. Earlier they used to have Reception after the marriage but now a days they have on the previous day itself.

I think slowly all these ceremonies will become less and people will be having Registered marriage , exchange garlands and have reception.

2 people like this.

2. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijimma,
    Nice reading your sweet remembrance about weddings. In childhood days, I also used to enjoy wedding in our family, as that meant wearing new dresses, getting to meet my cousins who used to stay away and off course eating good food! And how much I used to like that the cook is making food in the BIG tumblers and all my uncles and relatives in the village are party to it! The bride used to be dressed up by the relatives only and it was pleasure seeing how one of the aunty's would draw the designs on the faces of the bride (yes, that used to be the custom in our place, those days!)...

Yes, now a days it does not happen, because the famlies are so small now. Even the relatives can not turn up many a times because of their commitments elsewhere. So things have gone to the hands of the professionals.

Liked reading about the marriages of your elder sister and yours.

3. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear vijima,
    It was good to read about your marriage!!!
    Like you I also like to see marriages....
    Yeah... now a days people are going for registered marriage... That is the current trend...

Marriage is when you can meet other relatives and friends...

4. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Viji, very nice to read about your marriage. Where did you get married? Did your family have Nallungu? That was the main thing I liked in our Weddings.

You mentioned that soon people are going to have only register marriages. I don't think so. That was I thought 25 years back. Now they are spending more money on Sangeet, Mehandi, Wedding planner etc. Designer sarees are more important than thali ( mangala sutra). Instead of simple weddings, people always want to be different form others. I haven't been to a wedding in 30 years. My friend's daughter got married in Chennai. WOW!!! they spent money like water. All show off. No one talked about the rituals of the wedding.

As usual you bring up good memories of my past. Good day!!!! By the way, what color sari did you wear for reception?

5. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

viji mami,
    good to read about your marriage.I like to see marriage&nice spending time with relatives& cousins

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Kalyani dear thanks for the first fb.Sorry for the late reply. Yesterday was feeling bored to post replies . Glad you too used to enjoy weddings in childhood days. True wearing new dress and meeting our cousins is always fun

True now a days evrything has changed. Caterers are there to look after anything and the bride is dressed up by the beauticians. Glad you enjoyed reading the marriage of mine and my elder sister.

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Vid dear glad you liked the post. Glad you too like to attemd marriages[

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

CL dear thanks for your visit here and sorry for the late reply. I got married in Mumbai only. Ya we had nalangu. I also like to watch nalangu

Ya true some like to have registered marriage and some like to have the traditional marriage with mehndi etc. True people are spending money more on designer sareees, mehndi ceremony , best hall with decorations and lightings.

Thanks for your appreciation dear. I think I wore Cream colour saree with maroon border.

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sai dear glad to see you here and to know that you also love attending marriages

10. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Reading an elaborate article like this on wedding make me "want" to attend one !!
    So realistic and natural your writing is ma and it was a virtual movie camera taking me through all the scenes and happenings !!
    Great writeup and kudos to your amazing contribution !!