1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Had the Roses chosen to wither.......

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by Malathijagan, May 25, 2007.

1. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Had the Rose chosen to wither...

Oh, Ye young ones, just bloomed into buds!
    Long journey Ye have in the ocean called life!
    Why do Ye yearn to give up thy life
    At the fall of a hat or a bat of a lid?
    What worries Thee torment? What aches in thy heart?
    That torturous death ye dare to seek?
    Jumping off the terrace or setting thyself ablaze?
    Do Ye not know that if Ye survive per chance
    It's death while Ye live for both body and soul?
    A guilt-filled life that is forever strife,
    Your loved ones shattered even if cause for it they be.
    Expectations high? Too difficult to satisfy?
    Failure in Love, that couldn't find another Love?
    What is it Oh, Dears?
    That to die Ye dare and to live Ye fear?
    Oh, Ye fresh blooms yet to blossom!
    Ye know not thy fragrance!
    For if the rose had chosen to wither
    When still in its infancy,
    Would the world have smelt the rose
    And made it the Queen of flowers?

(A tear-filled Elegy to the young teenagers
    who make an attempt on their own lives
    without giving a thought to the after-effects of their
    momentary daring / cowardice act)

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

very true malathy,
    today's hindu carries a news of one lokesh who committed suicide, now u might ask what is so new, many do it for no reason, but here he isan anaesthesia technician,and wanted to marry his class mate studying in kidwai institute of oncology, imagine the knowledge gone waste, the seat gone waste, which could had helped some other student.
    The intelligence that was acquired gone down, the service that could had been not found. weren't they working as training for the cancer patients and no impact on their mind abt it...not only the girls the boys are also equally so weak where love is concerned...regards sunkan

3. Malathijagan

Hello Madam!
    The thought flow for this poem rushed into my mind when there was an attempted suicide by a boy in my son's college hostel last summer by jumping from the terrace. My heart was filled with sorrow for an unknown face. I heard he survived the attempt with multiple fractures. But he had lost 1 yr or more of college(depending on his recuperating period), lost his admission in the said professional college and I do not know what all the other trauma he went through or is going through. All I can do is just pray for him that wherever he is, his problems get solved.

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear malathy,
    That was a real heartfelt one.....you touched a chord somewhere....the words were so flowing and touching.....sorry i am not able to put into words what i want to say.....but it was touching!

yeah, how weak these youngsters become and it is a momentary decision....only if they wait a bit longer and think rationally, i am sure they will never attempt to take their lives away! What a shame!
    Thanks for sharing with us.....:2thumbsup:

5. Malathijagan

Thank you Sudha,
    It was just an outburst of my emotion. Some times words cannot convey thereal feelings.It was only a small attempt to put my thoughts into words.But I wonder if i could half convey my real sorrow for those disillusioned lot.:cry:

6. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Malathyjagan,

Your poem is very touching and surely it will make those people attempting suicide to think. Often these decisions are taken on an momentary impulse. The people who attempt suicides, are cowardly and do not want to face the cgallenges of life. They seek an easy solution without knowing how much it harms those around them.

Regards,

TDU

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

[quote=Tamildownunder;68057

Dear Malathi,
    Well done! Keep it up! I was just wondering why you had not written anything about this matter till now. The poem is really touching! But it should be printed and posted where it will reach the student community.
    Your dearest,
    Mother

8. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Hi Malathi,

A touching poem indeed!! As you say the youngsters are too inexperienced and unmindful of the sorrow they cause by their actions.

And it is applicable to all those commit suicide:cry:

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malathi,

You do touch a chord with your poignant words. Like Pushpavalli mentioned, this should be read by those for whom it was meant. Hope you get to publish in some youth based magazines or pages. It should reach the young who seem to succumb to depression caused by love and other disappointments in their unexperienced lives.
    I am appalled whenever I read about such an incident. Sometime back, a famous and successful model cum tv presenter committed suicide. So young, beautiful and successful...so wasted. So many examples which come to mind. Very sad indeed.
    Did not know P Srinivasan is your mother??! If so, now I know where you get your way with words from! You both write well and send in thought provoking posts.

L, Kamla

10. Malathijagan

Thank you Chitra for the compliment.As in my reply to Sungan, I get emotionally disturbed when I see or hear such things happening around me. I feel helpless and I let out my sorrows in the form of a poem as you would have noticed from my earlier poems like-An ode to the astronauts, Innocence and Light at the end of the Tunnel. I have also written a poem on the Late princess Diana which I will submit at a later date.
    Thanks and regards.