1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Grains in chappaties and chips

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by seahorse, Jun 23, 2009.

1. seahorse

seahorse New IL'ite

I recently came across "nachni" in the form of chips. I have never eaten the grain nachni before, and I found this very tasty. I understand that nachin has a lot of nutritive value. does anyone have any information to contribute on the values of nachni? Also what is the English name for nachni?

I also understand that we can add nachni in chappaties by mixing it with wheat flour.

What a healthy way to eat in the age of fast food! maybe we should encourage children to eat these types of health foods instead of burgers and fries.

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi seahorse,

Nachni is commonly known as Ragi. English name is finger millet. Yes, it is very nutritious and is a staple in south indian food. we can make ragi dosa, puttu, and lots of other dishes with it. it is also introduced to babys in the form of kanji when starting them on semi solids. i hvn't used it with chappati though, must give it a try.... could be an intresting combo.... though I already add a dash of jowar, bajra and soya flour to my whole wheat atta while making chappatis for additional nutrition.

akila