1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Organic Foods is it Worth It ?????

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by sheetal, Mar 11, 2006.

1. sheetal

sheetal New IL'ite

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013

2. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Organic foods are the ones which are grown without any use of chemical pesticides. Of course, its very good compared to the normal foods. You get more vitamins and minerals from organic foods.

If u r ready to pay the extra bucks, go for it ...

:)

3. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Americans are nowadays inclining more towards Organic foods. I hear so much about Organic foods it made me wonder, should I be buying it too?
    I found out that non organic fruits and vegetables are induced with more pestcides to make the produce look better and more visually pleasing. Dairy products that come from cows that are organically fed and meat that comes from free range animals are said to be more nutritious and healthy.
    Are organic food worth the cost ? Seems to be one of the million dollar questions. More people find themselves saying yes to that question these days.
    I started buying organic fruits and sometimes veggies and mostly organic dairy, like milk, cheese, butter and yougurt.
    It is definitely very very expensive, but when I think about it as the price that I pay to keep my family especially my kids healthy, it seems to be a very nominal amount.
    Hey... what ever it takes to keep the kids healthy.
    I have to say I have been buying organic milk for sometime now and I buy 1% milk which tastes much better than regular whole milk.
    I would like to know if we get organic foods in India...Are they readily available. May be Indian farmers dont use that much pesticides and chemicals.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this matter.....

Thanks,
    Jothi.

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jothi,
    Yes, organic food is becoming very popular in India.
    In Chennai, we have quite a few organic food outlets. Even leading vegetable shops have separate organic counters. We get dhals, rice, atta, bread varieties, many vegetables etc. I have not heard of organic milk. The price is, ofcourse, very steep. If you buy everything from the organic counter, the bill just zooms up to an incredible amount!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra Madam,

Thanks for your reply. I am glad we get organic foods in India too. Even after I move back to India, I would probably keep buying organic fruits and veggies atleast the ones that we eat raw without cooking, and the other things I guess we can get rid of most of the pesticides by cooking it. Probably Aawin will start coming up with organic milk soon..

thanks again, love,

Jothi.

6. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear Jothi,

I tried organic milk here in the US, and I found it very tasty. It used to taste exactly like the fresh cow milk from our farm back in Trichy. However I read on some websites that the Vit 'A' palmitate that is an addendum in the organic milk is got from animal products and is not recommended for vegetarians who do not use gelatin and other similar products. I could not verify either way, so I stopped using organic milk.

Back in India, in Trichy, my parents get fresh veggies to this day that is harvested on the banks of Cauvery (Kallanai) and get fresh cow milk that is not injected with hormones and the taste is heavenly. As soon as I get to Madras or Bangalore, we can make out the difference in taste and sometimes even a peculiar fertilizer smell in the food. So I guess "organic" is the way to go, and the governments should do something about the prices!

Regards
    Vidya

7. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Vmur,

I totally agree with you, the government should do something about the prices or the farmers have to find economical ways of farming healthy produce without pesticides. There are more organic products in the market these days. I just bought a small pack of oreo cookies y'day completely organic almost thrice the price of regular oreos. I have not heard about the Vit A that you have mentioned. It is good info for vegans definitely.

thanks and regards,
    Jothi.

8. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Dear Jothi,

I totally agree with Vidya on the taste of organic milk.......after drinking that milk from past one year, now I cannot stand the smell of regular milk. And the taste the curd set from organic milk....its yummy and so different from that of regular milk.
    I feel we should put a limit on what we should buy organic and what not, that way we can control our budget on buying organic stuff. I personally prefer that my daughter gets most of the organic food....like milk, her cereals, fruits, eggs etc. For ourselves we get all regular stuff.
    Now we can find stores like Costco and Walmart providing organic milk, veggies and stuff....that surely does not pinch our wallets as much as the other regular grocery stores.
    Recently I have seen some stores hyping about organic clothing!! I wonder who buys them?:mrgreen:

Sihi

9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

yes i too use Organic milk and the taste is really good. Also , it is better for girls to have organic milk. The usual regular milk tends to make the girls attain puberty earlier !.
    Anyway regarding Vitamin A palmitate. I think it is form a veg source. It is added to everything including Soy milk that Vegans have , so it should be okay .

Vit A as retinol is better found in Animal sources. But that does not mean that the additives are from animal origin. The economics would not work since most things are fortified for Vit A.

Vandhana

10. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi

I read these posts on organic foods.
    How to searcha and select the organic foods esp veggies and fruits...is it labelled as organic, i think milk will be labelled as organic?? am i right??

thanks
    san