1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Avacado oil anone?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Chitravivek, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

My recent visit to Costco made me buy and try avocado oil. I read in the label it can be heated up to 500F. I don't see any difference in taste but I am scared if it will increase weight. Avocado has essential fatty acids that are good for us but too much of it is bad. I am not sure now if avocado oil can be used in every day cooking. Any experience?

Similar Threads
    1. pinky2
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I use it for all my Indian cooking -- high heat saute, frying etc. No difference in taste and no weight gain issues. As far as I know, the fatty acids in avocado oil are good for health. I have never heard about too much being bad. The composition of fatty acids in avocado oil is quite different from fat profile of raw avocado. Maybe that is what is confusing you?

1 person likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm curious about this. Any health benefits of Avocado oil? Any reason to switch from olive/coconut/sesame to avocado? I'm open to adding a fourth oil into th mix, it'll be fun!

1 person likes this.
  4. Chitravivek

Laks: Avocado oil has high smoking point (500F) I don't think olive oil has that much. Also Avocado oil is good for skin and can be used a massaging oil. Other than the nutritional aspect are the same. remember cold pressed avocado oil does not have high smoking point. I saw this for the first time in Costco and wanted to try. I don't see any difference in taste.

1 person likes this.
  5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Hi Laks,

No special reason. I just needed an oil for the higher temps like for tempering or shallow frying. I use a combination of olive for low temps and avocado for the high temps. For you looks like that high temp need is served by coconut + sesame. But somehow I never got into using either of those oils for cooking purpose.

1 person likes this.
  6. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

The main benefit of avocado oil is that it has a very high smoke point (around 500 degrees ) . Cooking with oils at temperatures above their set smoke point can create trans fats – a leading contributor to heart disease, cancer and other chronic health conditions. So use avocado oil for cooking processes that require very high heating.also, it is high in monounsaturated fats (good fats).
    Other than that just for drizzling over a salad i would choose extra virgin olive oil instead. So avocado oil is better for high heating cooking processes but other oils are more beneficial when high heating is not required. Also, i think that we need to look for the cold pressed variety of the oil as they are beneficial.

1 person likes this.
  7. Laks09

Thank you ladies for clarifying! I use coconut oil for any deep frying. I do use either coconut or olive oil for stir frys and tadka. Hope that's ok. I use the extr virgin one from costco. Sesame oil for dosas/chutneys etc.

8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I guess it is probably in the hand of the cook and how high a flame is kept during the cooking but I get a rancid bitter after taste if I use EVOO for tadka or say frying up an egg. I really didnt want to be worrying about flame height /exceeding smoke point and all that instead of focusing on the actual cooking while cooking so I switched to avocado. Coconut, I only use for my head. I only use the EVOO for salads. It is not meant for our Indian style dishes, I feel, at least not the way I cook. :) BTW use the Organic EVOO from Costco.

1 person likes this.
  9. Chitravivek

Laks. I would never heat Evoo. It should be consumed as is on salad or bread. Coconut oil for frying ? Doesn't it give a coconutty flavor to your fry?

1 person likes this.
  10. Laks09

Chitra - We love the coconut oil for all fried stuff. Papad fried in coconut oil - yummy!
    DD loves fish fried in coconut oil, just like her Ammamma does. Even chicken etc I do add it on top. Now you probably guesses, I'm a Mallu.
    Thanks for the tips ladies, I'll look for the avocado oil when I visit costco next.