1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a Best Way to Cook Vegetables?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by coolblues, Dec 5, 2012.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

It has been drilled into our minds that eating a good dosage of fruits and vegetables is one of the ways of being healthy. You are trying to incorporate vegetables into your diet but often wonder if there is a way to cook these veggies so that you get the most nutritional value. Well, no cooking method is the best but it does pay to know different ways to cook vegetables that can offer you maximum nutrients.

s34.jpg
    Use less water: Vegetables lose all its nutrients when its cooked in water. You must have noticed the green hue after you have cooked spinach. All the wonderful nutrients are ready to go down the drain. Remember to cook vegetables for little time in little water. Steaming and microwaving are great methods that use minimum water, which means less loss of nutrients. The results are the same as boiling or blanching but with very little loss of nutrition.

453.jpg
    Use less fat: Certain vegetables are absorbed better in the body with soluble fat. So you can sauté or stir-fry the steamed vegetables with healthy oil which even makes it taste better. Use the sautéing method for tender vegetables such as onions, mushrooms and peas. You must cut them into small pieces so that they can get quickly get cooked in the oil. Stir-frying is putting the vegetables on high heat and needs constant frying to prevent them from burning. Normally this method needs a wok or a sauté pan that has a thick bottom so that there is equal heat distribution.

b4958.jpg
    Boiling: This is one of the most popular and easiest methods of cooking. However, remember boiling can lead to loss of nutrients and can even lead to loss of flavor and taste.

• Get the water in the pot to a boil and then add the vegetables.
    • Never keep the pot covered when you are boiling green vegetables since it will lose its green color.
    • You can use little water for other vegetables and cover the pot when boiling them. Less water leads to less loss of nutrition.
    • Add a pinch of salt to the boiling water. This raises the boiling point of water, which will cook the veggies faster, and it adds flavor to the vegetables. Remember to bring the water to a boil before adding salt, which will ensure that it gets dissolved right away.
    Do you have any other tips that retains maximum nutrients of vegetables while cooking?

Admin Note: Here are other links on health cooking and food habits!

Healthy Cooking Secrets
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/47057-vegetables-pesticides-and-over-cooking.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/190527-healthy-food-habits-pls-share.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/134320-ways-keep-our-food-healthy.html

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    5 people like this.

2. archana506

archana506 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the useful info...

3. Sindhurak

Sindhurak Platinum IL'ite

Very Usefull info Coolblues.. :)

4. marrie11

marrie11 New IL'ite

very useful information!!

5. ravirupa03

ravirupa03 New IL'ite

Sincerely good advise to all of us

6. Punitha11

Punitha11 Senior IL'ite

very useful, I was told that microwaving destroy nutrients and I go for traditioanl way of cooking i.e cook veggies with little water and do not drain the water.

also storing the cut vegetables and cooking hte next day also results in the loss of nutrients.

7. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

punitha
    Microwaving vegs is a safe option to retain the nutrients.
    I agree with your second point...cut vegs do lose their nutritive value a bit.

Microwaving helps to extend the number of days you can use your lpg cylinders as well,given the current restriction in supply of subsided rate cylinders.:)

regards
    honeybee

8. pareshpadiyar

pareshpadiyar New IL'ite

i m in to business,my house staircase is towards north east in anti clockwise,currently my business is not in good possition, does this affect my business in any way, any solution?

thanks

9. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

This is not the right forum for such questions. Please locate the right forum.

10. arunavarshini

arunavarshini New IL'ite