1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How do you eat flax seeds?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Viiksha, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Vani09

Vani09 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Gayathri for the detailed info. Can you please tell how u do your green smoothie.

2. sathyashiva

sathyashiva Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I am taking flax seed for last 1.5 years..here is how I take it everyday..Prepare oats and add the grinded flax seed powder while the oats is hot...eat it right away :) You don't feel the taste of flax seed this way. Do not buy the flax seed powder or keep the grinded powder for long. I use my coffee grinder to grind everyday. BTW, I use the organic one both brown and golden flax seed. If you are in India and have nilgris store nearby, check out there.

satty

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

for medicinal benefits like phyto-estrogen purposes better have it cold pressed and cold milled.. i use the cold milled once a day. and roasted spicy powder regularly.

in case of grinding flax at home, ensure you do only small quanitities, as flax tends to spoil fast..store in a cool dry place..

flax seed oil should be refrigerated.

never buy in huge quantities.

nilgiris has flax seed powder.. and cold mill is availabe Prano Flax India. Flaxseed Products in most of the diafree shops and health shops...

4. gayathri1981

gayathri1981 Senior IL'ite

Vani 09

I live in the US..I bought a product called nutri bullet.its a high powered one , blends anything quick. I add 2 handful spinach,half avacado,2 fruits,some carrors,flax seed powder,and any nuts - 1 handful, add 3 cups of water,and blend for like 45 seconds, it gives me a 20 ounce thick smoothie, sometimes i add honey - i drink this twice, i also lost 5 lbs in 10days...for breakfast i had a smoothie, for dinner i had a smoothie, for lunch - i avoided rice totally, ate 2 rotis,with paneer,or tofu, and vegetables, or i prepared quinoa with sambar, or curries....no exercises i did....

5. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I mix flax seed powder in atta, in sabjis, in pancake, dosa batters etc.,

Regards,
    Lakshmi.

6. Vani09

Vani09 Gold IL'ite

Hi Gayathri
    Thanks for your reply,:) don't u take any thing in between. Do share your diet plan, even i got to loose weight, need to have a stronger determination.

7. sreeraga

sreeraga Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I use it in baking.
    I also add it when I make breakfast smoothies.
    Other options are adding to your breakfast cereal, Upma, Salads etc.
    You can even sprinkle the powder on your bread toast or any gravy vegetables you make for chapathi.
    Milkshakes / juices is a better option if you want to mask the taste.

regards
    AS

8. sphema

sphema Bronze IL'ite

I suggest, taking it with oats is good. Coz you are going to take 1 teaspoon everyday(assuming). Cook it along with Oats. You will not find the difference.

9. rajisivam

rajisivam New IL'ite

Hi,
    can anyone tell me where can I get FLAX seeds and by what name it is called in Tamil

10. romanch61

romanch61 Junior IL'ite

its called Kollu in tamil and its easily available in all provision stores and supermarkets....the best way to consume is to reduce the amount of ulundu to half and use kollu in its place while you prepare idly podi.