1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Best brown rice brand and where to buy?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Rums, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi ILs,

So far I have been using brown rice from Indian stores. Does anyone buy brown rice from other stores (american)? and found it to be good. If possible pls let me know. Thanks!!!

2. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

I buy Brown Basmati rice from Indian stores. I prefer it to Uncle Ben's brown rice that you get in the regular supermarket. I haven't tried any other brand since now I am happy with the Brown Basmati rice.

3. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

thanks. does brown basmati has a good fiber content?

4. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

5. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

pardon my ignorance.Whats the advantage of brown rice over normal rice?where do we use it?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  6. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

You can replace regular rice with brown rice in any recipe for adults. It is hard to digest for young ones though.

I make brown rice pongal, kichidi, sweet pongal, pulav, chinese fried rice and I also use it for making Dosa batter.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

It's really hard for me to believe anyone on a traditional Indian diet needs to worry about getting MORE fiber....with all the whole wheat, dal, and veg seems to be a lot even at a baseline.

8. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

I don't know how many of us here in this country are really on a traditional Indian diet. I don't even know how many peeps in India are on a traditional Indian diet any more. The kind of foods available is changing. Our taste pallettes are changing. Instant is easier and more easily available than natural and whole foods atleast in this country. Even in India, eating out, eating western foods is common and also sought out. So...we look for other ways to boost our fibre intake, to balance out other non healthy food we may take.

9. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

tashi- I was talking about a south indian diet. It doesn't have much fiber unless you introduce it. Whole wheat is not at all indian. I am surprised to believe that you are not aware of that.