1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any difference between brown sugar(vellam in tamil) in India and US

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Rekish, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Rekish

Rekish New IL'ite

Hi friends..

I have heard that brown sugar(vellam in tamil) has lot of benefits compared to white sugar. But when i checked the brown sugar packet(Clover Valley light brown sugar) here in US, i dont see any difference between white sugar and brown sugar in the Nutrition Facts section. In both it is mentioned as 4g sugar. only difference is brown sugar contain molasses.

Is there any real health benefits from taking brown sugar instead of white one. Also the taste of brown sugar here is different from what we get in India. Is there any health benefit difference between brown sugar in India and US?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

2. hemas74

hemas74 New IL'ite

3. GayathriSri

GayathriSri New IL'ite

Hi, Please donot confuse Brown Sugar with Vellam(Jaggery)...I haven't found an american equivalent to Jaggery, only thing I found that closely matches Jaggery is Turbinado sugar..once again, both are not the same...Going back to Brown Sugar, it is manufactured by adding a little bit of Molasses to regular white crystalline sugar...Molasses is the unrefined byproduct from sugarcane sugar processing...By unrefined, I mean 'still contains the minerals that are removed from white sugar while refining/cleaning/whitening'...So adding a bit of molasses , makes brown sugar, a teenzy weenzy bit better than regular white sugar...Turbinado sugar, on the other hand is unrefined cane sugar..so it will have all the necessary minerals in it...Having said that, I have to add turbinado sugar is costly :( but definitely better than white/brown sugar....