1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Embroidery : Useful Discussions - Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by nithya prabha, Jan 7, 2007.

1. nithya prabha

nithya prabha Bronze IL'ite

hi all, I wanted u people to show some hand embroideries made in churis,sarees and some blouses.i know some basic stitches but i want some guidance from some experts.i will be glad if u show the embroideries that u had done on ur own,becoz i will get the idea from that.i also wanted to learn the embroidery that the people do on streets ,in commercial street.do tell me if u know any good teachers .
    thankyou, nithya

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hau Nithya Prabha,
    You are living in Bangaluru, you have a very good place to learn about embroidery-the Madura Coats company's center. They also circulate a mag.with designs and instructions, lots of offers etc. The name of the mag. is Needle and Thread. I used to get them. Now there is a large collection, and no time to do the work. So I have stopped all that for now. But the hand embroidery is very beautiful but time consuming. It is the best way to bust stress. Try to get the address of the company's studio from the telephones directory enquiry section and visit them.
    I am uploading the samples of my work. I started this 15 years back, when I was pregnant. I hoped to finish it in confinement, but my son was born even before I could go home. So it got delayed and now it is finally finished. Now the remaining work is, stitch the borders in red, attach the pieces to the long piece (toran 1) and also attach red gem-like bead at the V. Once I complete, I shall try to post the product also.
    It is called Aari Thoran, and it is Gujrati work. The piece is completely worked in chain stitch, basic, bright colours are used. Pieces of mirror are also used. This is from the Needle and Thread magazine.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  3. nithya prabha

dear varloo, im happy i got a great response from u.im waiting for ur. next post with the photo upload.thankyou. nithya

4. varudhini

varudhini Bronze IL'ite

Hand embroidery

Dear Nityaprabha

As our senior member Varalekshmy said Needle and Thread magazine is a good choice. They give good designs and will provide design papers with full details about the stitches and threads to use. I am also a subscriber to it and if u want I can give u the adress.

And also there are several websites for embropidery where u can see different stitches and patterns.

With regards
    Varudhini

5. nithya prabha

Dear Varudhini, im happy for ur response.pls. give me the address and websites. with regards, nithya.

6. varudhini

varudhini Bronze IL'ite

7. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Dear Varudhini, Thankyou so much for the information. Since I was also searching for one in Bangalore . Sharon b's Dictionary was really good. Thank you so much once again.
    Meena

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    I was not able to upload the pictures earlier. Now I have done it, view and let me know how it is.

Attached Files:

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    here is the second picture.

Attached Files:

10. nithya prabha

Dear varloo,

your work is simply super:clap .colour combinations r good.I want to know how to trace for a saree border.Otherthan , carbon tracing are there any methods ?Bcoz tracing for the saree border with a pencil seems hectic work to me.Pls. provide me any other easy method.Keep uploading your work,like the sarees etc.,even if it is old.Bcoz old is gold and we will get great ideas.
    thankyou,
    nithya.