Genetic screening in 1st trimester.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sayanka, Sep 22, 2009.

1. sayanka

sayanka New IL'ite

genetic test?

Hi all. how many of you decide to go for screening test and diagnostic test for genetic disorders in babies?
    please share your experience.Should we really do it? And does it cover any muscular defects as well?
    Please suggest

2. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Re: genetic test?

Sorry I dont have any opinion on this,but I am also scheduled for one in 3 weeks and am tensed and scared!I didnt opt. this my doctor told me to do this on routine basis.Most of the doctors recommend this though.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Satin, you can opt out of one if you want to. I did. I was not comfortable with the idea, for my own reasons, and decided not to have the nuchal folds measured.. No U/S other than the routine three, also. My doctor, agreed to not having these tests done after a discussion on the need for the tests when there is no obvious family history and a lack of previous pregnancy loss. It was an informed decision taken after much discussion.
    But here is the information on the tests performed during pregnancy.
    Excerpts

4. chaitusri

chaitusri Silver IL'ite

Thank you Tikka, you have shared very good information

Hi Sayanka,

As of I know the drs suggest genetical test based on family health history.

My dr just asked for the family history, she didn't suggest for these tests.

5. mom2vivi

mom2vivi New IL'ite

Hi Sayanka,
    I did not do the genetic tests that was offered to me in the 15th week of my pregnancy. Just did the routine ultrasound at 18 weeks and they do check the fetus for abnormalities at that time.
    Both me and hubby did not think too much about it because there was no family history of genetic disoders in both our families. So we just hoped that everything will be fine and prayed to God. I am really thankful to God for my perfect healthy little boy. Best of luck for whatever decision you take.
    :thumbsup

6. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hi Sayanka,
    Normally this test would be done based on family history and especially if the couples are closed relatives.
    It will be decided on family history most of the times. If everything is normal from both sides of your parents and inlaws, then there are very minute chances of disorders.
    But its always advisable to have this test done just to be happy and free during pregnancy. We can welcome a healthy baby!

7. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Thanks!Useful information! I have decided to go for the test though just to be free from worries later!

8. khushipoise

khushipoise Senior IL'ite

Hi all ,

Im new to this forum , just joined today. This is my first pregnancy, im in my 9th week. Im in the USA and MY gynac has advised me to undergo genetic screening in the 12 week , its optional ..to understand the risk of downs syndrome/ trisomy 18. Its a blood test and a ultrasound. It will just tell me the chances of the baby having a genetic disorder. I am really confused what to do , should i go for this test ? I heard there is a chance the results may be false positive. Did any of you experience the same ? did you go for the test?
    Please advise me as i don't know whether this is a necessary step or will it just add worry to my mind?
    Your help is really appreciated.
    thanks a lot

9. indigrl

indigrl New IL'ite

Congratulations on your pregnancy.
    Usually the genetic testing is done within 15 to 20 weeks. Based on nationality and family history I don’t need to get genetic testing done, I am 16 weeks pregnant with my second child. But I opted to do it. I would like to be fully prepared just in case then being blind sighted. Also as a parent we would like to make the right decision in case our child happens to have a genetic disorder.
    Talk to your doctor and see if there is a necessity to do the test if not may be you can opt out. Have a safe and healthy pregnancy.

10. khushipoise

khushipoise Senior IL'ite

hi ,
    Thank you so much for your advise.Congrats to you too.MY doc said that it will be done in 11th and 12th week . I dont whether its the same as 15 weeks. Did u undergo a test in the 12 th week also? I will talk in more detail to my doc and hopefully i can decide then.
    hope you have a healthy and safe pregnancy.