Any idea about Amniocentesis test ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by indumathy_77, May 21, 2008.

1. indumathy_77

indumathy_77 New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I am now 18 weeks pregnant and developed Chicken Pox during 15 weeks. It started drying after 3 days of me getting boils. Doctors asked me to do ultrasound scan and everything is normal. I do not have Chicken Pox (Varicella) antibodies in my blood and that is the reason I had it. Now doctors suggest me to do Amniocentesis test to ensure 100% that the child is not affected by the Chicken Pox virus. I have my appointment on 22nd May for the test. Has anyone or anyone's friends/relatives done the Amniocentesis test before? Please share ur views with me. My doctor is one of the best doctor in US. She says that many does the test now-a-days and it is not very risky.

Indu.

[​IMG]

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Hope you are feeling much better now after recovering from the chicken-pox. I have not had the amnio test done but I have done a lot of research on the test itself and have 1 friend who have had the test done whose baby is now a healthy 2 year old.The test is generally done to check for genetic or chromosonal abnormalities and neural tube defects.

The test is safe provided it is done by a competent doctor. Even then, there is a 2% chance of miscarriage caused by having the test done. The test involves inserting a needle into the uterus to extract a small amount of amniotic fluid that is then tested for various abnormalities.

This is what is most common side-effect of chicken-pox on the baby. "Most commonly, the fetus has no discernable effects from the maternal infection. Those that are affected, most commonly have limb defects. Others may have a rash that utimately leads to scarring or acquire a skin infection called zoster. Other problems including brain defects have been reported but are considered uncommon."

My advice is to ask your doctor if you can get away with doing a fetal anatomy scan rather than an amnio. Fetal anatomy scan is a level 2 ultrasound that looks at all the individual babies body parts from head to toe, including brains, heart, stomach, kidney, spine, hands and legs to make sure that they are functioning well. This test carries no risk whatsoever. Is this the same ultrasound that you have had already? If so, I would suggest staying away from the amnio because the amnio looks mainly for chromosonal and genetic abnormalities which would have any way been picked up from your 2nd trimester screening (AFP).

If you do go for the amnio, according to baby center.com you'll want to make sure that an experienced registered diagnostic medical sonographer provides continuous ultrasound guidance during the procedure. This greatly improves the chances that the doctor will be able to obtain enough fluid on the first try and avoid having to repeat the procedure. And when continuous ultrasound guidance is used, injuries to the baby from the amnio needle are very rare, thus reducing the chance of miscarriage.

Couple of articles on the net

Chicken pox: Will my baby be affected?

Chickenpox and Pregnancy

Chicken Pox exposure? - MotheringDotCommune Forums

A Singapore Motherhood Portal for the Singapore Parents: !!!!!!HELP!!! chickenpox during pregnancy!!!

Hope this helps. Good luck! Will pray for a happy and healthy baby for you.

Pooja

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  3. Happysoul1234

deleted due to duplicacy

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  4. indumathy_77

indumathy_77 New IL'ite

Hi Pooja,

Thank you very much for ur reply. Already detailed ultrasound scan examining the baby is done. Doctor wants to do amniocentesis to confirm that baby is not infected by the Chicken Pox virus. I made an appointment with Obstetrix Medical Group. Let me see what happens. U have given me some site details. Thank you very much and it gives me some positive feeling.

Indu.

[​IMG]

5. Happysoul1234

Hi Indu,

Glad your ultrasound went well. Obstetrix is a very good medical group .. are you going to the office on Hamilton Avenue? I go there regularly for my level 2 ultrasounds and dietician appts for gestational diabetes. Dr. Fishman there is very nice and professional.

Good luck with the amnio. Will keep you and your baby in my prayers.

Pooja

6. priyanka

priyanka Junior IL'ite

Hi Pooja

Indu has already mentioned the details about Amnio test.I am also 19 weeks pregnant.Had my Amnio test done at 15th week.The test result came out after a week.My baby is perfectly fine.

I can understand what you are going through.Just relax and everything will be fine.The pain is just like the pain of an injection.donot move at all during the procedure.Please take 3 days rest after the procedure.

God will help you.
    Priyanka

7. indumathy_77

indumathy_77 New IL'ite

Hi Pooja and Priyanka,

Thanks for ur replies. I am made an appointment with the hospital in Hamilton Ave. I only pray god that baby should be fine and get negative report.

Indu.

8. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hello Indu....

I have taken the amniocentesis test in the past. Its not painful procedure, slightly tingling feeling. The procedure takes 5-10 minutes hardly. But as Pmhansa has explained you in detail that amniocentesis test is only done if there are any genetic problem. I am not sure if doctor recommands this procedure for the other problems as well. Anyhow...don't be afraid, It is very simple test. Since your doctor has adviced you to go for it, so might as well and it will also give you the peace for the rest of your pregnancy too. Do not worry the miscarriage rate is also very low. But if you are not comfortable about the 2% risk of miscarriage, you can always so no for this test. Just rest for a week and do not do any hectic activity during that week. Ask your doctor in detail about it too. And also ask your doctor how early you can get the result. There is one FISH result, (this result is provided next day) but usually doctor wait for 7-10 days for the actual result. Do not worry and stay positive. You will be in my prayers. Take care and have faith in god...everything is good with baby.

Regards

9. indumathy_77

indumathy_77 New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I thank you all for ur replies and praying for me. :thankyou2:I had my test today. It was not painful and I had minor cramps, thats all. Doctor said that they will check for the Virus in the fluid. Everything went on well and I am normal. Waiting for the result......It will take 2 weeks for the results. Thank you all once again...It was a moral support for me when I read all ur replies.

Indu.

10. Happysoul1234

Hi Indu,

Very happy to hear the test went well. Like others have said, make sure and take it easy for the next week or so. Stay on bed-rest if you can and be positive , everything will be fine.

Pooja