Progestrone supplements

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sita2460, Sep 5, 2007.

1. sita2460

sita2460 New IL'ite

Hi,

I am Pregnant, about 5 weeks... just got my blood test result where hcg is 1533 and progestrone is 14.5 only... Dr. said projestrone is in the border line. So she is going to give me progestrone supplemets. Is it really going to help me? anybody taken it? also, is there any food that can boost up progestrone level?
    please share ur experience.

Thanks Much,
    sita.

2. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear Sita,

Congragulations on your pregnancy. Yes, your progesterone level needs to be above 20 to support the endometrial lining and preventing miscarriage. You need to take progesterone supplements till atleast week 12 if your levels are less than 20. There is no food that can help increase the progesterone in the blood. No harm in taking them, just take them as the doctor advises and start them ASAP.

Good luck with everything!

Regards
    Vidya

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  3. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

HI,

there is no harm taking progestrone..............i had to take them till 12 weeks....it helped me..........now im due in a couple of weeks..........

my doctor recommended me with progestrone cream 4 intra vaginal use....

so dnt wry is not difficult.

take care
    Dheepa

4. roopika

roopika New IL'ite

hi sita,

congratulations for becoming mom. even i am in fifth week, I think we can share our experiences.

regards,
    Roopika

5. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Anyone taking progestrone?

Is anybody taking progestrone capsules?

My doctor suggested me to take them. but i couldnt figure out why.
    If anybody is using/used, then pls throw some light.

6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Re: Anyone taking progestrone?

Hi,

I am in my 8th week and i have been prescribed folvite and susten. Folvite is for folic acid

and susten. Few Ilites explained me about susten.

Susten is form of Progestrone and considered safe in pregnancy.It is typically given to women if there is concern for progesterone deficiency.Progesterone is usually given until 12 weeks because that is when the placenta takes over production from the ovary.

susten is prescribed to prevent miscarriages. because the placenta can't produce progesterone till the end of third month or end of first trimester

Guess i have cleared your doubts.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  7. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Re: Anyone taking progestrone?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes you have cleared my doubt :)

8. Active2010

Active2010 New IL'ite

Hi all!

I was prescribed Emfolic for folic acid supplement and Gestofit for progesterone supplement. I'm in my 10th week starting tomorrow.

I read in the product description that progesteron is to be taken only till 12 weeks of pregnancy. My next check-up is scheduled on 20th March when I will be 10 weeks entering 11th week. I think I will get it clarified with my Doc then.

The tablet I was prescribed can be used for oral/rectal/vaginal use (thats what it says). However, I'm taking it orally only and was not indicated about the vaginal use of it by my doc.

Is there something called as a "best practice" - oral/vaginal?

9. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Hi I just chanced upon your post progestrone is best to take it through vagina. Please check with your gynec why this was not told to you? Do ensure important information like this is given to you when something is recommended. Take care and Congrats!

10. bushfa

bushfa New IL'ite

I am in my 27th week now and from beginning till now I am having progestrone capsule(Naturogest/Susten/Duphaston). I think I'll hav to take it till my delivery as I am having twins... I am taking it orally... I dont hav any pblm with having that tablet....I was having it thrice daily till my 5th month and now I am having it twice daily...

Bini..