1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Smart Tips in house construction (Lessons Learnt/Best Practices)

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by zingy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Many of us would have bought a house/flat or would have seen/helped kith and kin in buying house and in the process learning First time mistakes, things that could be overseen or even picked best practices on the go.
    It would be good to have it shared so that fellow ILites
    ( especially first timers) can benefit from it

Here are some of the lessons learned during our house/flat construction along with best practices and smart tips picked on the go

1.Lesson Learnt : Avoid Shelves in bedroom/kitchen on the exterior wall on the house
    Reason :
    During monsoon days when moisture seeps into the wall resulting in mold/ mildew formation in clothes/books etc. Mold formation sometimes happens in single rain when you have furnished the shelves as there is less water circulation
    Work Around:
    It is better to avoid but If you still want to have shelf on the exterior walls owing to space utilization or aesthetics paint the interior of the shelf/cupboard and exterior wall with waterproof paint

2.Best Practice: One Geyser for both bathrooms ( in our house)
    In house where two bathrooms are comparatively in vicinity we could just have one geyser inlet and connect it to both bathrooms. This needs to be done during plumbing itself.
    Benefit:
    Less expense on utilities as Power utilization will be less compared and we do not have to buy two geyser :)

People do share your best practices, mistakes and recommendations it

mituyadav likes this.

2. zingy

Another 2 from housing journalComputer Typing

3. Best Practice:Extra tiles for future
    A
    lways save some extra tiles after the construction is complete. Even if it is flat you can request the builder to save some extra tiles in all types (Bathroom , kitchen, floor/wall) used in your house.
    This will come handy when one or 2 tiles breaks (Trust me this happens when least expected) or you have to break a tile to check some plumbing.
    It is very difficult to find the exact match when breakage happens after 3-4 years since the completion
    Benefit:
    We can prevent search for the match especially when we go for unique tiles

4. Best Practice: Extending loft from adjacent room to bathroom
    Normally Bathroom ceilings are in same height as that of adjacent rooms though it is not needed. We can extend the loft inwards from adjacent room (living/bedroom/kitchen) well inside the bathroom (partly or fully) resulting in big hidden storage.

P.S Being a Bigger storage You can add provision for lighting (even bulb will do)
    Benefit:
    Extra Storage (Better space utilization)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  3. thekumars9308

thekumars9308 New IL'ite

Hi Zingy,

Great thread. Something a lot of us can benefit from. Though I cannot contribute anything to this thread yet, because I have never built a house, I can definitely keep this list handy for future use. Looking forward to get more tips from ILites. Thanks for sharing.

4. zingy

Thanks thekumars9308:)
    Sure you can contribute Just think about something which you think is smart and useful in your house or somewhere you visited

5. thekumars9308

thekumars9308 New IL'ite

I will definitely post if I come across such smart planning tips. I have noticed the heater tip you have already listed in the house where my parents are currently living. One water heater for 2 bathrooms built back to back.

6. priyadarsinik

priyadarsinik New IL'ite

Few more to add:

1. Wide windows can used instead of the usual size ones. As well, windows should not be kept in the west facing side as this tends to make the the room hot.

2. Ensure to have the plumbing and wiring diagram of the house. Since we missed this:bonk, we are facing many plumbing issues now as we bought a readily constructed flat.

3. Best way to decorate living roon ceiling is to put those ready made Plaster of Paris ceiling designs.

7. zingy

Will sure wait for yours :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  8. zingy

Thanks for the tips:thankyou2:

In my cousins house in chennai they had this ceiling design along the walls . It looked very good. It cost them somewhere around 4000Rs and As it was ready made it was easier to put and didnt take much time for the labourers

9. zingy

5. Best Practice: Over head Water tank overflow pipe
    This is most applicable for small flats/independent houses. if the water tank is in middle of the terrace and water overflows from full tank in many houses it might be actually fall on the terrace and flows through the exit pipe

It is good to have the overflow pipe extended and positioned such a way that when the water overflows it falls in the garden and water falling is visible in a window preferably kitchen. We could actually plan with few up and downs it such a way that water gets distributed from the place it is falling to all garden.

Benefits:
    Water does not get wasted as we see it sooner

Already Overflowed water gets used for garden
    No water flow in terrace so ceiling lasts longer

6. Best Practice: Kitchen Counter height and board.
    Normally when Kitchen counter is set in standard height. Height difference between the user and counter can lead to shoulder and back pain.

It is good to intervene during construction and set height according to the person who is going to use the kitchen often. I have seen even some inches makes a lot of difference.
    Also make sure the kitchen counter board (granite/marble/Kadapa) edges are curved to avoid future injuries especiallty if you have 3-6 year kids
    And at times I get hurt too:hide: (We missed it in our house:-()
    Benefit:
    Cooking is more comfortable.

Counter tops don’t hurt

mituyadav likes this.
  10. deepagopalan

deepagopalan Gold IL'ite

Hello Zingy.

Nice thread,I liked the Best practice point,in future if I construct or somebody in my family or friends construct home means then I will advice them to go for this One Geyser for both bathrooms good point.
    Thanks for sharing dear.
    Cheers
    deepu