Re: Setting up a new house - Share your experiences and valueable ideas here
We have recently bought a 3 bedroom-2 balcony-2 bath house. But my husband got transferred and we shifted to a new place. Our new home is now locked up but it is entirely furnished.
I will give you some ideas about setting up the kitchen.
1. Install a BIG black marble/granite sink . Do not install a steel sink. Granite and marble is easy to clean. Also black sinks look very clean even if they are slightly dirty. Marble/granite may be expensive than steel-but it is a good investment in the long run.
2. Kitchen flooring- should be of dark colored tiles/marble/granite. Go for -Black, gray, or dark brown color.
3. If you install a modular kitchen- select a pleasant color- Do not go for very bright colors for shelf-doors .
4. Electric chimney is better than exhaust fan. Nowadays, we get electric chimneys for as low as 5000 [five thousand rupees].
5. If painting kitchen walls, paint them in plastic/water proof paint.
6. Do not make too many kitchen shelves-it will be difficult for you to manage. There is no need to build shelves on the top part of the kitchen- it will not be very easy for you to reach there. You can make shelves in the bottom part of the kitchen-under the granite slab.
7. If you do not plan to install shelves- then get a ready made wardrobe or shelf [ made of plastic and not of wood]. It is better to hide things in the ward robe rather than displaying them in the kitchen openly.
8. Buy a plastic stand /.shelf that can be placed on the floor [to place the dishes after washing]. Put the shelf on the kitchen floor and do not mount it on the kitchen wall. Do not buy steel shelves for keeping dishes, utensils,etc. as it will attract oil and dust easily.
9. Place the fridge in the kitchen but away from the gas-stove.
10. Put a flower vase [with some artificial flowers in it ]. It will make the kitchen look beautiful.
I hope this helps.
If you have any other query regarding setting up your new home, you can ask me in this post.
Last edited by depressed; 25th June 2009 at 06:41 PM.
"When you cannot get a custom-made life, you have to create it with your two hands and one brain."-My Own Quote