1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

"Best out of waste",support my thread

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by sankasailaja, Feb 17, 2007.

did u like my thread

1. yes

131 vote(s)
    99.2%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. sankasailaja

sankasailaja Bronze IL'ite

HI INDUSLADIES;

I Wanna start a new thread called 'Best out of Waste'
    I think u all mgiht understood about my thread,we all people do some good things from waste. sometimes some of us will have some waste things which we dont know what best should be made from it,for that items i think this thread will be helpful.
    I needour members support for my new thread.

I wanna share some of my ideas with u

curtain with choclate wrappers

• we need to select some shiny wrappers like gold,silver etc.
    • Fold them vertically and pin them with a stapler and keep aside.
    • If we have colour beeds(no need to purchase sometimes from our hairrubber bands or clips or from purses or from our old dresses will be there)
    • Just how we tie flowers for garland with needle like that we must do with wrappers,but in middle if we have any beeds join them too.
    • U can tie upto the required height.
    • keep wrapper lines how much thick u want the curtain to be(suppose u wanna close the room door fully means u can use that many lines)
    • After finishing lines take a wire or small rod to fix accross the tops of door,tie these lines to that rod.
    • Ur choclate curtain is ready.
    • It will be good for especially for children,even for elders also.
    I wll be happy if u give compliments or u can also say if i did any mistke in my thread.

Thanks in advance

IL share some of my more ideas with u if u like this.

Byeeeeeeeee:wave

1 person likes this.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sailaja,

I think this is a wonderful idea, u have started a useful thread. If waste can be constructively used, it is great.

I am adding my idea- it is not original. In the Canning centre where we learnt to make preserves, they would squeeze lemons for squash. The skins would then be chopped and pickled.

I am sure many more will post in this thread.

affly
    Vidya

3. varudhini

varudhini Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sailaja

Really a very novel and useful idea. It really interests children. Keep posting.

Regards
    Varudhini

4. tehzeeb

tehzeeb New IL'ite

Hi All,

Hope this thread can consist tips on cooking section too. If so, pls find one

when even you have leftover rice at home, do not throw away. Instead add little salt( if u generally dont add while cooking) and little green chilli paste ( grind few green chillies as per ur taste) to the left over rice and let this dry in sun for one or two days. make sure rice is dried up completely. Then store it.

When ever u want, u can fry this, add little salt, little red chilli powder and keep aside. Then fry few curry leaves, ground nuts . very tasty mixture is ready to eat.

Hope you all will enjoy this.

bye

2 people like this.
  5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sankasailaja...

This is a great idea indeed. Thanks for coming up with it. Surely, all of us will profit from it and I am sure many ladies here will come up with wonderful tips and suggestions. I am already collecting them!

I am often appalled at the amount of plastic shopping bags they hand over in the US. It cannot be eco friendly. But since one has them anyways, I use them as dustbin liners in the house and do not buy extra plastic liners, doing my little bit for the earth! Also, while preparing vegetables for cooking, like cutting and scraping them, I keep a plastic bag close by and chuck all the wastage into them directly and discard the whole bag later. This way, the counter top is at once clean and the wastage disposed. Ofcourse, composting the veggie wastage is the best solution if one is into gardening.

As for leftovers, I have to think of rasam. One is almost always is left with the sediment of rasam. A very good way to use it up is to make chapathi dough using the left over rasam and make chapathis as usual. They turn out spicy and yummy.

L, Kamla

6. Malini S

Malini S New IL'ite

Dear Sailaja,:goodidea:

This is indeed a wonderful idea. It will be really useful.

Like Kamla said, I too use the plastic bags to line the dustbin. The water washings of rice, dal are used for watering plants.

Vegetable peels, keerai stalks, banana skin, etc., can be fed to the cows.

Bye
    Malini

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  7. varudhini

varudhini Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kamala

Your method of using left over rasam seems good. Will try it. I also use plastic covers for lining dustbins.

Here are some of my tips:
    1. We can use used plastic bottles (shampoo bottles, jam bottles, sauce bottles that we normally through away) as pen stands. Just cut the bottle into half or to the length that you require. Paint inside of the bottle with water or acrylic colors. For outside cover with gift paper or plain chart paper. If you use plain chart, draw something as per your taste like flowers or sceneries and color it.
    2. Used towels: Just fold them and stitch and use as door mats. Stitch small square pieces and can be used in the kitchen to hold pots.
    3. Used I.V. bottles (plastic): Cut into flower shape, color them, and keep them in the vases.
    4. Thick colorful calender pages: Cut them into butterfly shape and can be decorated on the wall in a sequence of three, five, etc.
    5. We can also make small beads with calender papers and string them to a thread into long chains and tie them to the curtain rods.

Some more next time.
    Varudhini

sindmani, sveta86 and shobatharun like this.
  8. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Vegetable and fruit peels, used tea leaves, wilted flowers etc. can be composted. Layer the waste with soil in a large terracotta pot and leave in the open. After a few days, the compost makes very good nutrient for household plants.

Just like the rasam(ref: Kamla's post) left over sambhar and other gravies too can be kneaded with atta and made into interesting rotis. Just fish out the vegetable pieces first.

Left over Idlis : Fry or shallow roast idlis till golden. Drain well. Cut into cubes. Arrange in plate. Lightly sprinkle some chilly- garlic sauce( or Tomato sauce or ketchup). Add this mixture : (all finely chopped) onions+tomatoes+grated carrot+coriander leaves+1 green chilli +coarsely pounded roasted peanuts. Toss everything together once. Sprinkle Chat Powder or Jal-Jeera powder on top and serve immediately. Idli Chat ready. Can be improvised "as you like it".

Save wrapping paper from gifts recieved. They can be re-used for gifts you give or can be made into envelopes to put in gift-money or greeting letters. Glossy calender sheets ( the dates part removed) also make good gift wrapping.

sindmani and shobatharun like this.
  9. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sankasailaja,
    You have started a very useful thread.keep more coming useful ideas.:2thumbsup:

10. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sailaja,

:yes: This is a very gud idea.
    I just clicked the thread to post my thought but already posted by our members to use plastic bags in dustbins. Keep bags for peels on counter top in the kitchen sothat counter can remain cleaned.To make pen stands n to mix each leftover dish in chapati dough.

Now I m thinking for more:confused2: .