1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Golu bommai.......

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by NRS, Jul 24, 2008.

1. NRS

NRS New IL'ite

Hey people,

I am planning on a trip to go to India during early Sep to get traditional golu(navrathri) dolls from South India. Any ideas as to where I can buy really old golu dolls. ( the ones that are heavy and made from mud)

thx
    nrs

1 person likes this.

2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Hi NRS,

Advance wishes for a happy vacation !!

We used to buy Golu Bommai from Mambalam, precisely Station Road,Arya gowda road (near Ayodhya Mandapam ). Also one another place for buying these bommais is Poompuhar (Mount Road), they will be having beautiful collections.

Try it out....

3. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi nrs,
    try khadi kraft in mount road- it is good.
    also in mylapore,the streets near kapaleeshwar temple sell loads of bommais you can try there as well.
    regards
    pavi

4. NRS

NRS New IL'ite

Thank you!! Truly appreciate your help. I am looking for old dolls though. I would be willing to take any old dolls that people have. :)

nrs

5. msriman

msriman New IL'ite

Hi nrs,
    i am a new member here. I too have been keeping golu for the past 11 years and have quite a collection now. Only old dolls made of mud and clay have defined features. The newly made mud dolls lack a refined look and appear smudged whereas the paper mache dolls are much better. Good luck in getting old dolls. I wish people would sell old dolls instead of throwing them out. I have made enquiries to this effect to get olden days dolls but no luck so far. Try also a place called bommai chathram. I think it maybe in Triplicane. Most of my dolls, my mom gets it from Kuralagam and a doll-maker.

6. Padma3

Padma3 New IL'ite

Best traditional place for these items in south india is not chennai ,but a small village called "Vandipalayam" which is near cuddalore and Panruti . There , all traditional mud clay dolls they will sell . personally , i have seen those dolls , trust me they are awesome and beautifully rendered each texture you can view crystal clear. But if you guys are around chennai , then you have take a car or bus to reach there which is around 3 hrs travel .. just do youe enquiry also about this place , if u feel Ok , then u can try .
    happy Holidays !

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  7. Padma3

Padma3 New IL'ite

Try Vandipalayam which is near cuddalore and panruti . its around 3 hrs drive from chennai to that palce . but trust me its worth it . u can get hold of lot of collections of dolls , tradional authentic mud dolls , beautifully rendered each texture you can see crystal clear. i have personally reviewed those dolls its amazing .. awesome in those small villages we have tremendous talented people in our country , beautiful craftmanship! .

you can enquire about this place , start shopping

Happy holidays

8. madhuharini

madhuharini Silver IL'ite

Hai,The place under one roof u are getting all the types of all mud golu bommais according to tamilnadu,andrapradesh,kartaka and other states is kuralagam at broadway,chennai.:spin

1 person likes this.
  9. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the info about Vandipalayam. In Vandipalaayam, do you know the shop and address or it is just we can go to any shop or is it the road side shops?

Thanks
    Priya

10. sreeramr30

sreeramr30 New IL'ite

Vandipalayama bommai are really fantastic.
    the bommai which are in sales at mylapore, triplicane and other parts except khadi craft are bought from kanchipuram.
    so better spend a day, take a car and reach kanchipuram (1 hour drive from chennai) and go there and buy on ur own.
    2009 year golu's new set is the different vahanam of thiruvenkadamudiyan(tirupathi utsavar), really nice in mylapore but too costly.
    if u cant go to kanchipuram or Vandipalaayam go to mylapore on vijayadasami and buy dolls in mylapore it will be very cheap.. they will tell 1000 Rs now and on last day but u can get it for 150 or 200 Rs maximum on last day..