1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Apartment - storage needs

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by chandrakiran, Aug 3, 2015.

1. chandrakiran

chandrakiran Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone -

I am i the process of putting together storage design ideas for a compact 3 Bedroom apartment. From prior experience I feel that there needs to be designed slot for several of our storage items to avoid clutter. Share your ideas on how and where you store some of these items and help me design my storage better.

1. Shoes/chappals - outside the house or shelf just inside entrance.(No foyer)
    2. Bags - 2 school bags, 2 laptop bags and four lunch bags !
    3. Collecting daily newspapers. We dispose them off once a month or once in two months, until then they need a place.
    4.Ladder used for cleaning fans, reaching out to lofts etc.
    5.Additional cylinder (do you all store it in the kitchen itself?
    6.Mops, wash clothes, broom, dustbin, vacuum cleaner.
    7.Laundry & Bathroom items (toilet cleaners, floor cleaners, soaps, soap powder - unused items purchased as monthly list).
    8.Extra plastic bags (Small and big ones)

Add on to the list if you have those "hard-to-provide-designated-storage" items

Thanks!

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

1. Shoes/chappals - outside the house or shelf just inside entrance.(No foyer)

You can have a multipurpose covered shoe rack .
    Something like this .
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/109634572156146784/
    Put up a mirror over it .

Or ,these days you get shoe racks that can be hung on the doors. Metal shoe racks which can be hung on the door.These come in many colours . I have one in white that matches the door.
    Hot Selling Commercial Home Metal Wall Mounted Shoe Racks - Buy Wall Mounted Shoe Racks,Commercial Shoe Racks,Metal Shoe Racks Product on Alibaba.com

sunita1211 and chandrakiran like this.
  3. yellowmango

4.Ladder used for cleaning fans, reaching out to lofts etc.

I suggest you invest in a good ladder that can be used as a rack when not in use. Buy one in bright colour and put it in the corner in kids room. You could put the school bags on the racks and hang the tiffin boxes on it....or just put up their toys on display.

http://www.pepperfry.com/ciplaplast-folding-stainless-steel-ladder-with-chrome-finish-milanoss-5-steps-1217296.html?gclid=CI_Di-PUjMcCFQSTjgodqHcAZA

sunita1211 likes this.
  4. yellowmango

6.Mops, wash clothes, broom, dustbin, [COLOR=#009900 !important]vacuum cleaner[/COLOR].

I have got a narrow rectangular flat cupboard made for the balcony .About 1.5 feet x 3 feet high .The front door is made of strips of wood so that their is gap for air to pass. All my brooms and mops are in that. I have put hooks on the side for the wet mop so that it can dry in sun light.

Dustbin goes under the kitchen sink.

sunita1211 and chandrakiran like this.
  5. yellowmango

7.Laundry & Bathroom items (toilet cleaners, floor cleaners, soaps, soap powder - unused items purchased as monthly list).

One big laundry basket (pretty plastic ones)in the bathroom. Two similar smaller ones under the sink for toiletries. But you have to make sure your bathroom is a dry one.

If not you could get a hanging laundry bag that can be hung behind the door.

1 person likes this.
  6. yellowmango

If you have to buy furniture then try to get as any multipurpose ones as you can. These days almost every thing doubles up as storage.

1 person likes this.
  7. chandrakiran

Thanks yellowmango for the suggestions!
    Dustbin under kitchen sink...doesn't that over time make the whole area damp and smelly?

8. chandrakiran

The idea for mops and brooms is super and i will plan for it too

9. yellowmango

I have always kept mine under the sink. If the sin drainage is good,the area remains always dry.
    I use a medium sized dustbin and clear it every day. I usually put two naphthalene(I don't have small kids or pets,otherwise I wouldn't) balls in the bin and then put the disposable bag.

These days you get dustbins that can be attached to the door if the sink area is covered.That keeps it off the floor.

10. HakunaMatata

HakunaMatata Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I used to fold the plastic bags as like in the image and put it in empty box or in drawers..

Attached Files:

5 people like this.