1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

From Blah and Boring to Bold and Beautiful - Diwali Decorations

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by Rakhii, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear ladies, Diwali is just around the corner. I have just about started making some crafts at home and thinking of ways to decorate my home with little or low budget. just wondering if you ladies want to join with me. As of now, here is what I have in mind.

1. Salt-dough candle/ diya holder: Done. This was done by my (almost) 3 year old. Will share the pics soon.

2. Diya Banners: I am in the process of cutting some printed paper in the shape of a diya's and will be using them as banners in the hall way. I will post pic soon.

3. Silk Saree curtains: I am thinking of converting all those never-to-be-worn again sarees into colorful curtains. what say?

Lets make the rooms Bold and beautiful!

sindmani, vsharma, LuvLadoo35 and 2 others like this.

2. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Nice Ideas. Hope you wont change the silk sarees permanently into curtains. I was just thinking about Deepawali this morning. It is right before halloween. So, was thinking of Garden cleaning and decorating with lights.
    Lets see if I will get it done.
    All the best

3. Rakhii

Hi ars, thanks for joining. Actually, I am thinking of converting the silk sarees permanently. I know for a fact I am never going to wear them. Whats the point in just keeping them locked? Might as well enjoy them in someway.
    Also, I am planning on using a couple of more sarees of my grand mom too. She gave me a lot of sarees and some them, they are only for memory. It will be nice to see them around :)

Please do take a "before" picture of the yard/ home and then we can see what we accomplished after seeing "After" pictures. What say?

4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii and little M the ROCKSTARS ! I need a step by step instructions to your salt dough project please?

1 person likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Hi Chitra, you are always generous with complements :) The recipe is very easy, i also recently learned it.

Flour: 1 cup
    Salt: 1/2 cup
    Water: enough to make it like chapati dought (about 1/2 cup)
    Food color (optional): I went all natural and used Haldi to make yellow dough, instant coffee to make brown dough, blue icing drops to make blue dough and orange biryani color to make orange dough. You can go crazy and add anything you want!

Give the flour and salt in a big bowl to the little one and ask her to mix it. they LOVE helping.
    meg-a.JPG
    After that, divide the dough in equal parts depending on how many colors to want them to make. After division, here is the pic. Add the colors a little generously because mine are already fading out a little as we speak.
    dough.JPG
    I gave M a small tea candle to use as an impression to make a candle holder. She initially ate a small piece of dough and said "yukkk" because of the salt i guess. So, she didnt attempt eating anymore. Lol

I have set out the dough to dry out after the impression is made. Its still drying out. It takes at least 3-4 days to completely dry out. I will take a pic tomorrow. I must confess, the colors kind of faded after it dried out but its still OK to look at. Afterall, we are making fun and smiles and not making "art" per se na?

3 people like this.
  6. Chitravivek

Rakhii: I am set for Project with S. Actually this year I have plans to do Halloween pumpkin decoration too. Now she is old enough to do all this. Pass on some ideas on that too if you have. You're a pro mom I should let.. I feel terrible looking at Moms in IL.. Ok I am going to gear up. I will let you know how it came. So it has to completely dry? Does it emote foul smell? So once its dry you put candles in it and light or oil and thread? Oops.. too many questions.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rakhii

Please see my response in blue. Chitra, not shy away from making something all by yourself too. Its almost been 3 years since M was born and I totally lost in touch with what I like/want. It will be fun to reconnect with ourselves. So, the diya out of paper is my project.

8. Rakhii

A little update yesterday. Here are the play dough diyas made by my LO. We have added some glitter into them for extra zing. More than likely, the color’s are going to fad after the play dough dries out, just like my salt dough Diya’s did.
    IMG_2782.JPG
    Here are the paper Diya’s I am cutting out to make a running banner in the hallway. I just started, I have a LOT more Diya’s to go.
    IMG_2780.JPG
    Chitra, to give you an idea, here is what Salt dough diya’s are looking like after they have completely dried out. Not too bad eh?
    IMG_2781.JPG

sindmani, vsharma, mbharani and 3 others like this.
  9. Chitravivek

Beautiful girl ! M rocks ! Those are beautiful. This is my plan: I am going to make plain Salt dough and get glitter, paints and stuff for S to do her touch. I am sure it will not be very artistic but it will be something I will treasure for life. I will post pics once all done.. I am excited now..

1 person likes this.
  10. Chitravivek

Rakhii: PLaydough color doesn't fade after drying.. Atleast not eh Crayola ones I use

1 person likes this.