1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Must have Upgrades in new home

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by sanravi_1970, Jul 28, 2014.

1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Friends

I would like to know what are the must have upgrades in a new house like tiles, cabinets, wall colour, gourmet kitchen. Looking at the huge list of upgrades make me get confused to choose. Please suggest me the must have upgrades.

Thanks

2. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Congrats on your new home !.

You dont have to do upgrades, if you dont want to.. Upgrades are really based on your budget and necessity as well. Also, plan budget leaving some amount for rainy day fund, or to fix any emergency maintenance items.

If were you, I would start to change things, in the below order

1. Fresh coat of paints & linens/curtains--> Makes the place feel like yours, as you get to choose the colors. Also gives a sharp look to your home. Also get fresh curtains, and nice comforters/bed-spreads/quilts etc.
    2. Upgrade items that puts you off --> Old toilets, stained wash-basins etc.. that are of minimal expenses but would make you happy to see them.
    3. Add one WOW factor --> Find onething that make your home stand-out, again not exceeding your budget.. like a back-splash /chandelier / fireplace etc.

Cheers,
    JM

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Thanks JM.

Since it's a new home and my first home, I don't know what standard features are good to hold for long, so doing an upgrade might help for long run.

Like for eg.I was told using ceramic floor in bathroom or places where water might spill helps for long run otherwise using a tile or vinyl might make water seepage or cannot hold for long.

Like that I was told for putting backsplash, but don't know whether the standard one the builder put is good or do I have to go for upgraded one.

Dont know about kitchen cabinets. When I went to gallery there are lots of options like level 1,2 etc. don't know whether standard cabinets that builder provide is enough for long run.

Then the hardwood floors.. No idea about it.

Looking for more help.

thanks

4. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

downstairs bedroom and bathroom upgrade with shower
    kitchen cabients with sliding racks
    hardwood floor cost a lot(do research in that community)
    all electric points(typically they will upgrades)
    research on electric upgrades and get them maximum.later they will cost a lot
    at least have tile for bathrooms and washer,dryer place
    if you are going with basement,better to give a thought about finishing up the basement with builder.

5. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

I will add one thing about paint. This was a suggestion a friend of ours got when they built their house. They were asked to wait atleast a year before re-painting. The builder told them that it takes some time for a house to "settle" and within the first year and minor faults that are there will appear. So it would be better to wait, and when the house has settled, you can do the small patch ups that may be required and then have the house re-painted. Another advantage of this is that after you move in and buy your furniture and your linens, you can get it painted to match.

Hope this was of help to you.

2 people like this.
  6. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Thanks priya and DKI.

DKI....
    I don't understand clearly regarding the paint point. Actually I am thinking of painting different colour for different rooms. Don't know if builder gives it as standard option or upgrade. I have seen some people color the whole house in only one colour. So my doubt is can I paint different rooms different colors or do same colour all over the house. I thought the very first time you colour the house with whatever colour we want , then we don't have to think of repainting for few years right. Please clarify this point regarding colors.

thanks

7. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

The painter will paint a neutral colour all over the house. This is standard. It would honestly be cheaper to have the builder just paint the single colour and you paint it later - especially since you want different colours in every room. It will work out very expensive with a builder. If you were to get a painting contractor later on, you would have a say in what paint to use, as well as where you want to buy it. When a builder buys his paint, he gets it at a wholesale price - but in 5 or 10 gallon buckets. If there are multiple colours to be used, he may either buy single gallon cans and charge you premium for this, or buy the 5 gallon buckets and charge you for the entire.

I am telling you this not from my own experience, but from what one of my friends went through not long ago.

8. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Ok. Got it now :)
    Any other tips while buying a new house is most welcome DKI :)

thanks

9. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Hi DKI - we got our house recently. My Builder told me he would charge 600$ for each additional color other than the standard (We can pick any one color for entire house)

So we didnt do that upgrade.

Consider Hard wood floors (They are expensive but it is better to install them now)

Consider converting tubs to showers

Consider your sprinkler system. If it is not standard it is cheaper to do it before they put grass and everything

Consider going for water softner Loop (You can add the water softner 1st)

Consider adding a sink in the garage. That way you dont have to come inside the home after gardening.

If you are getting 2 story home ask him if he can do 2 separate AC units. That way you can switch off the floor that you are not using.

3 people like this.
  10. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, congrats on you new house.choose granite or corian countertops in kitchen.never go for linoleum in kitchen or bathroom.see if you can get 32 inch to more cabinets .ask for crown molding for the cabinets.also stainlesss steel appliances wud be good.looks wise and becoz they r energy efficient.also look for plans with open flow not chopped up look.sometimes even open concept in houses is an upgrade.also in kitchen ask for pull out shelves in the bottom.

These upgrades will pay off in terms of holding value of the house and when refinancing and by chance selling too.good luck.

1 person likes this.