1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas to decorate home for Diwali

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by Rakhii, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Rakhi,

I found these hanging tea light candle holders in TJ Maxx and remembered you - the were in lovely colors too like deep blue, deep orange and of course red!

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

They are beautiful Srama! Thanks for thinking of me; i really appreciate it :)

3. SD2713

SD2713 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    I myself was searching for ideas and here i get so many beautiful tips to decorate home. But i am not in for diyas which are easily accessible to toddlers.
    One of the thing which we can do is making our own stencils on butter paper and paint them. What say!?
    SD

1 person likes this.
  4. Rakhii

Lovely idea SD!

5. mayavindra

mayavindra Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response.

You get it at Giri stores in Mylapore.You have a lot of varieties and price range there to choose from.

Rama

6. Rakhii

here they are charging quite a lot though. Min is $30. Is it over 1700 rs in India?

7. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Hi Maya,

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Rakhii,

I will try to find out cost at giri stores. I know this shop but dint know we get kundan rangolis here.

2 people like this.
  8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rakhi,

Your post in the RHS caught my attention and excited me for Diwali is my favourite festival too .What I am going to say is not exactly a decoration tip but something which leaves your home as sparkling and glowing as the festival of lights ought to be.

My Mil used to practice it and I just follow it. The whole house is cleaned from top to bottom. Start with one room at a time. Clean cupboards inside/outside , donate away clothes that you have not used for more than a year , wipe wall stains, wash curtains, clean switch boards…the works in cleaning, in short.

Do it for all the rooms ending it with washing all floors with soap and water, (I don’t know how practical this is when you do not have help. Here I cleaned the floors with soap and water only once.:)) Change the cushion covers, bedspreads .Buy one thing new for the house even if it is a small thing. (A new flower vase or a new bedspread/cushion covers/colorful lantern)

Strategically place and light all the candles in the candle stand that you possess. (This might be MY crazy idea because I do have a lot of them and they all get lit up only for Diwali .LOL. This year I thought of painting some diyas …after school I have not touched paint hahaha.)

Main word of caution …your daughter is still very young. Be careful and place diyas only where she cannot reach. And have paper decorations as much as possible.Let her pull and tear them out.you could record it on video for posterity :)))

Happy Diwali dear and I will be coming to this thread for more ideas..:cheers

3 people like this.
  9. Rakhii

Mindian, thank you so much for the lovely suggestions! I do have a few candle stands. Actually there are not many places which my DD cannot reach as she is at a stage where she is very inquisitive and wants to know everything. The only thing which can be safe is the dining table.

Yes, cleaning up is a huge task. I am considering spending couple hundred bucks and get a cleaning lady do that for me. Have to see how that works.
    I may not call her in the end as I always think "let me do this stuff myself, save money and then buy toys for DD!" lol

This year its going to be very hard for me Mindi. Navraatri was never a bid deal in my family but Diwali is. 31st is Halloween and i LOVE Halloween. As of now, I started decorating my home for the Halloween but at the same time getting small things in places for Diwali. Friday, 1st Nov I will taking down all the Halloween decorations and have to put the Diwali decorations out.

I bought some floating candles which can be placed....I dont know, have to figure that out. May be on the ledge by the door. I also put put an Orange saree on the curtain rod. It doesnt look very nice. Will post a picture here tonight and you ladies tell me how that is.

2 people like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Now that you mention orange saree as curtain, you know you could also weave some colorful sarees on your railings :)