1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Need Tips to maintain a silk sarees

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by BuviVishal, Feb 10, 2012.

1. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

hi

I got married before 7 months back. i dont know how to take care and handle the silk sarees(especially wedding saree) in bureau. currently i just folded and keep it above news paper with my husband's wedding dhoti and shirt. My wedding saree rate is 40 thousand:spin. i am wondering how to take care this very carefully. i dont have no idea about this.

similarly i am keeping my other silk and cotton sarees (betrothal saree) in anchor which they are provide the space in bureau. normally i wont keep my dresses without washing in bureau. but my MIL advised me as should not wash silk sarees often it will impact the sarees. but now i feel like some bad smell its comes from my bureau. My MIL asked me to wear the sarees atleast three to four times:rotfl.

before keep the saree in bureau i will put it in outside of my home under sunlight for an hour.

How to handle cotton and silk sarees...:bonk

Thanks
    Buvana

2. pbindu

pbindu Silver IL'ite

As per my mother's advice I wrap silk sarees in cotton cloth. Usually old dhoti's. Now that my husband does not wear dhoti, I wrap in cotton saree material. Mom's old sarees, cut into four or five parts and used for wrapping.

also see that if two colors are there in the saree, one does not overlap the other.

also you need to dry the unused silk sarees once in a year or once in six months. Just put it in open air for few hours.

You can also keep naphthalene balls to save it from worms.

Hope this helps.

3 people like this.
  3. vdeepab4u

vdeepab4u Gold IL'ite

Hi friends, my suggestion never use napthalene balls in silk sarees.. it spoiled my two sarees.. even my blouses.. the saree part where i kept napthalene balls had become faded and white which is very clearly seen.. this is my personal experience..

1 person likes this.
  4. vdeepab4u

vdeepab4u Gold IL'ite

You can also wrap the sarees in newspaper.. Buvana, even my mom would say that silk sarees should not be washed often.. so when we are wearing for shorter duration like small paries, better dont wash, dry it for some times, let the bad smell goes and then keep it in bureau..

5. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

If you are scared of sweat smell in the saree wipe it with a wet sponge/cotton cloth. Make sure to squeeze the sponge to the fullest. Air dry it for a few hours and keep in the bureau. Don`t keep ironed silk sarees in cupboard. If you do not wear the ironed sarees for quite some time they tend to tear at the iron folds. Once in a while change the folds of the saree and keep in cupboard. It is better to keep the sarees wrapped in cotton bags. If need be they can be washed with mild shampoo/reeta seeds and dried in shade in single.Wash the contrast colour border and pallu separately. This way they won`t get wrinkled and last long. If the sarees get torn in the borders you can stitch a supporting cloth underneath it, like a matching nylon ribbon piece or a small piece of net cloth. You can wear them for some more time.

6. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

First three washes, give to dry cleaning only.
    Keep always in a cloth bag. Or wrap in towel.
    When home- washing, dont use detergent, use shampoo. After testing colour is fast.
    Wash in plain water once in 6 months, dry in shade, even when not in use. If not washed for very long, silk will tear in the folds.

7. incharge

incharge Bronze IL'ite

Very useful tips. Thanks for sharing!

8. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing. Nice tips. it will be very useful for us

9. sridevipc

sridevipc Silver IL'ite

first thing never home wash the silk saree giv it for dry clean
    their are bag wich u get for keeping sarree u can try that
    if u can get a saree bag u can use the thambulam bag wich they wich in marriages put u r saree in that
    simmillary put the napthalin ball in the thambulam bag and keep it where u keep the saree the white patches as deepa said will not be their
    and if don use the silk saree for long time the saree will worn out (mostly in the folding) so even wen u don use ufold the saree for one day dry it in shadow n fold it n keep
    my mom use to have lot of silk saree she use to fallow above tips ( her wedding saree has 1kg silver so it is heavy n hard to maintain and 35 years old still she keep it new)
    simmilarly myne has 1 kg silver and heavier than my moms saree n after 2 years it look brand new cuz i fallow this tips

1 person likes this.
  10. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

hi sridevi,

thanks for your post. thambulam bag means what???

Regards
    Buvana