1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Embroidery: Kasuthi Work Instructions

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by jaymg, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Su

Thanks ---- Have been wanting that pic from the beginning but didnt figure out how to do it

2. thomamaria

thomamaria Guest

Thank you, Vidhyavimal, Jsrivenkat , Jaymg and Theartisticone for your comments and feedback on my small attempts at Kasuti. Feast your eyes, ILites, on a Kasuti saree by a master of the art!

3. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

There were a few queries as to how the net has to be attached to the sari.

Where small designs are worked between definite border lines small pieces are attached and where you dont have a marking line, when you are a beginner use long pieces as shown both for borders and motifs. After you get proficient you can switch to small pieces for motifs but care must be taken to align all motifs in the straight line.
    I still use long strips for the motifs in the body ogf the sari on the pallu and when I pull the net out I cut out the unused pieces to use in the body buttis. I will put more pics as I progress.:coffee

Attached Files:

4. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

hi jaya,
    :thumbsup lovely sari, when did you start on this?
    how much are you able to do per day?
    is this the pure silk irukkal saree which costs around
    5000/to 6000/-?

5. jsrivenkat

jsrivenkat Silver IL'ite

Hello Jayshree,
    Thanks for the detail clarification.Must try it out sometime.if the net can be posted as to how it looks,it will be useful.Am i asking to be spoon fed?
    Thanks

6. theartisticone

hi jsri,
    i think i will answer this query:
    check out post # 90 , page no :9 of the below link, i have posted a picture of the net

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TD class=alt1 width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TR vAlign=bottom>[​IMG] <TD width="100%">IndusLadies > Entertainment, Hobbies & Interests > Hobbies, Arts & Crafts <TD class=navbar style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; PADDING-TOP: 1px; font-face: Arial" colSpan=3>[​IMG] Embroidery : Kasuti & Kutch work.

and check post #99, page no 10 of this thread jayashree has explained in detail about the kasuti net.

7. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Su

Started this about 10 days ago and have finished the blue pallu area and have to do the body designs. This is a Irkal sari but cotton silk and cost me around 1200 Rs 3 yrs ago. A student of mine got this for as per my specification on colours direct from the weaver.

:coffee

8. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Jsri,

I have posted the net which is attached to the sari and the net looks just like it is in the picture. I f you go through this thread from the beginning ( I think you have not seen my earlier posts since you only started posting at post no.143) you will find detail explanations to the whole designs and the net and how it is to be selected and and what is the method of attaching the net there.

You can also see a completed sari in my other thread on Kasuthi embroidery

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  9. theartisticone

hi jaya,
    wow, in 10 days- rajini speed! i guess my son's interest in rajin is infectious!!!Big Laugh
    when do you expect to finish the saree?

10. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Su

I do abt 2-3 hours on some days and nothing at all on others. But this has to be finished for the 30th of this month for my son's Valedictory