1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What healthy meal did I eat today

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by shivachoubey, Jun 11, 2010.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shiva

What a nice and informative thread. I do not remember whether I saw this thread before and posted anything but now on I will try to come here and read the posts which are very informative. I am a foody and like to try different recipies.

love
    viji

2. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Shiva,

Nice thread, just got in today, I'm sure I will enjoy each of your work!!!

Thanks a lot for the nice recipes !!! :)
    I'm yet to read all of them!

3. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,

So nice to see you here and I am so happy you liked this thread. Do post some recipes of yours too.

Lots of love

regards

4. shivachoubey

Dear Custard,

Welcome to this thread. I am happy to know that you liked it. If you have any healthy recipe do share here.

regards

5. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

This is a recipe I tried yesterday.

Ingredients

• Green beans 2 cups
    • Cooked chana 1 cup
    • sliced almonds 1/4 cup (or any seeds like sunflower seeds)
    • poppy seeds 1 tbsp
    • balsamic vinegar (any vinegar or lime juice) 2 tsp
    • soy sauce 1 tsp
    • black pepper 1/2 tsp
    • oil 1 tsp
    • salt to taste

Procedure:

1. Roast the sliced almonds
    2. Pre-cook the green beans either by steaming or microwaving.
    3. Add the oil to the almonds
    4. Add the poppy seeds
    5. once poppy seeds turn brown add the chana and green beans
    6. Add the vinegar, soy sauce, pepper
    7. Cook on medium low for 10 mins or till beans are cooked.

Do not have a picture.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  6. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Thats an interesting recipie Bee Amma. I have sunflower and pumpkin seeds with me. I will surely try this out and let you know. I guess there is nothing much to go wrong in the form of over cooking...Thank you very much. Love to try some easy and healthy recipies.

I have tried extending my dosa batter lately with Oats and Wheat germ in it. I powder the oats and add that to the dosa batter and add some wheat germ too to the dosa batter. Of course will need some water to make it into a spreadable consistency on the dosa tava. It tastes good and with wheat germ, the dosas seems more crispy too. Its a healthy extension!!

7. vsj1985

vsj1985 New IL'ite

Hey Shiva,

Firstly, Shiva congrats on all the weight u lost,..... was just going thru ur blog, u go girl!:thumbsup Hats off to you.. I am truly one of your biggest fans :bowdown

Ladies excellent post going on here simply loved it.... I happened to make a very healthy meal today, was actually very confused and dint know what to make.. had a few baby carrots left out from the salad bag, one raddish, one tomato, 1/2 of a cabbage, a few chillies, and 2 onions at home!! (i desperately need to go vege shopping tomo!:hide:) so came up with something.... and it worked out quite good actually. I made Carrot Cabbage Onion Oil-less Paratha.

I know might sound a little weird but it turned out pretty good actually :)

Lemme share the recipe with u....
    4-6 baby carrots grated
    1/2 a Big cabbage grated
    1 medium red onion finely chopped
    3-4 green chillies (as per taste)finely chopped
    1 tsp of ginger garlic paste
    Salt as per taste
    one pinch Red chilli powder (as per taste)
    one pinch Garam Masala powder
    one pinch Haldi
    one pinch Jeera Powder
    one pinch coriander powder
    Wheat flour 1 - 2 cups (depends on how vegetably u want the paratha)
    2-3 drops of oil to grease ur palm while making the atta

Just mix all the ingredients in a big vessel and knead the atta like normal for chappathis, pls put very little or no water as the vegetables will leave out water of its own....
    mix to make a soft atta just right to roll out (again depends on how comfortable based on your preference, I like it a little hard, its easier to roll out :bonk)
    Once ready, simply roll out like normally chaptis not too think, nor too thin (like phulkas). You can fry it if you like, (hubby and I are on the task of lossing weight so... no oil for us). Eat hot with a cold cup of yougurt mixed with a pinch of salt and red chillies powder and if you like a spicy Andra mango pickle.

2-3 of these rotis should be perfect along with a cup full of yogurt... so veges go in, yogurt goes in :thumbsup

Tastes great and looks yummy.....

My next trial for this will be a Palak carrot cabbage onion paratha :) lets hope it works out :)

Hope u'll like the recipe....
    God Bless and have a wonderful day ladies....:cheers

8. deepthijv

deepthijv Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shiva

What a nice and informative thread. As always u r simply superb..kudos:bowdown

iam going to try the sweet potato nests asap...i love sweet potatoes and heard numerous benefits about them..Once v make them how long can v store??

Me and my DH both work from 12 pm to 9pm..v are having lunch around 11:00 / 11:30 am and feeling very hungry by 4pm...v end up eating all oily/unhealthy food in the cafeteria...can you please suggest some healthy snacks which i can make and store...so that v can carry and eat them in de evening for snacks...iam carrying apple but its not sufficient...and by the time v reach home its 9:30pm...please help me..

Thanks in advance

Deepthi

9. shivachoubey

10. shivachoubey

Hi,

Today I made Bulgur Upma. Bulgur is like broken wheat and is also known as Lapsi upma in India. Its texture is thicker then rava.

There is a difference between Cracked wheat and Bulgur wheat - Cracked wheat is uncooked. Its just wheat seeds crushed into small pieces.

Where as

Bulgur wheat is basically whole wheat that has been washed, steamed, dehulled, parched or dry-cooled, cracked, then sifted into various forms

Here is how I make it to toughen myself and my man.

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup bulgur wheat.

2. 1 onion finely chopped.

3. few curry leaves.

4. 1 tsp mustard seeds.

5. Few french beans finely chopped.

6. 1 potato finely chopped and microwaved. Put it in a container and microwave for 3 minutes, then shakes so that the pieces move well and gain microwave for 2 minutes.

7. 1 tsp oil.

8. Salt to taste

9. 1 tsp sugar (optional).

10. 2 cups water.

Procedure.

1. In a pan add mustard see to the oil and let them splutter.

2. Add onions, curry leaves and french beans. Cook till onion changes it color.

[​IMG]

3. Add Bulgur and stir fry it for 5 minutes or till the time it the color turn a little brown and you get the aroma.

[​IMG]
    4. Add in the potatoes.

[​IMG]
    5. Add salt and sugar.

6. Add water and cover for 5 minutes.

7. Bulgur cooks very fast. so keep an eye.

Enjoy

[​IMG]

Do You Know - Bulgur is very high in Fiber and also rich in "B" vitamins, iron, phosphorous and manganese,