1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy foods, Barley and Whole wheat Recipes

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by baby1, May 19, 2010.

1. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

Barley is very good for health. i want to add it to my daily food. can anyone post some barley recipes please?
    same way, i am also looking for 'whole wheat' recipes. pls share if you know any. always we make use of wheat flour and no one uses whole wheat. pls post some healthy food ideas here.
    thanks in advance.

2. radhareddi

radhareddi New IL'ite

I have joined the site recently and saw your thread with braley.

I use barley in making south india tiffin dosa . I replace rice flour with barley. It taste good. 1 cup dal and 2 cups of barley. soak overnight don't throw the water . Grind with same water. Kids also likes them and better way to add fiber to our diet.

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

You can prepare Barley soup by boiling required qty of barley (usually 1 tbsp for 2-3 people) and then lightly toast an assortment of vegetable carrot-beans-cauliflower-cabbage 1 cup in !tsp of oil till you see light change in color add water 2cups and boil till lightly tender but crip add the barley water cook till one boil add salt pepper pwd serve hot.

Ingredients:
    • 1 cup whole barley (use barley flour if that is available, found in health stores)
    • Water
    • Salt
    • Pepper
    • Ginger (optional)
    Procedure:
    1. If using the whole barley, then lightly roast it on low flame until it turns very light brown. Keep aside to cool and then make fine powder out of this.
    2. If using the readily available barley flour then skip step 1.
    3. Take 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add 2 tsps of barley powder, salt and let it come to a roaring boil. Stir frequently as it tends to develop lumps.
    4. Allow it to cool, add pepper powder and optionally ginger.
    5. This can be served hot or cold and can be stored in the fridge for 1-2 days.

4. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

dear radhareddi and vjbunny, i am very happy to see your barley recipes...barley dosa and barley soup. both look simple, tasty and healthy. what more do we want than a healthy dish in a day?
    radha, i am adding half cup of whole wheat to the dal while soaking it for making dosa next day. an easy way to use whole wheat in our diet! try it.
    waiting for some more easy and healthy recipes.
    eat healthy, stay healthy!

5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Here is another recipe using wheat rava which in North India is known as dalia

Dalia Idli
    udad dal 1/2 cup
    Dalia 1 1/2 cup
    Methidana 1 tsp
    Soak udad dal and methidana for 3-4 hrs and grind to smooth paste keep aside.
    Dry roast dalia till sweet aroma emits (If dalia is very big then run in mix to get rava consistency) add this to udadal paste mix well and ferment for 8-10 hrs. Add salt and prepare idli. You can add finely diced vegetables of your choice to make it more healthy.............

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  6. sheshin

sheshin Gold IL'ite

thanks for sharing these healthy recipes. Can we make chapathi with whole wheat in the same way as wheat flour.

7. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

dear radha, do u ferment this batter or not? i mean, do u make the dosa just after grinding the batter or make the dosa next day with the fermented batter? i really liked this recipe as replacing rice with barley is really healthy. pls reply and keep posting such healthy recipes here. thanks.

8. hemadurga

hemadurga Bronze IL'ite

nice recipe.... thanks for posting