1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Traditional Food habits

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by anuusri, Jan 9, 2010.

1. anuusri

anuusri New IL'ite

In our childhood days,our elders followed some customs while taking food which helped in leading a healthy life.

one must not talk/read/engage in other activities while taking food.
    Water must not be taken in between food as we cannot eat more.
    no eating of junk food before or during the meal time.
    preferred to eat home made food.
    also a food order to start with(from sweets,veg,rice,... curd)like this.
    not to eat greens and curd in night.
    using banana leaf and silver plates for taking food.

But In this fast growing world we do our day to day task with our own timelog. That is we find only less time to eat what we prepared.
    We eat food in hurry . No proper chewing of foods.......especially our morning breakfast(many do skip it).

Chewing the food properly helps in good digestion of the food we take in. We should not just swallow the food in hurry as it will cut off the
    air-flow and may also result in choking.
    There is an old saying "If we chew well and eat we can live for 100years".

But we couldnot follow many in our current daily life.

As we are from various traditional backgrounds we might follow different food habits.
    Please share about your views.

2. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hi Anuradha,

Right now I dont have any thing to add to ur list.... but I totally agree with what u said.

3. anuusri

anuusri New IL'ite

Hi Custard,

Thanks for your response.

:)

4. anuusri

anuusri New IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]contd........

When i was just thinking to write more about traditional food habits. These three questions sparkled in my mind.:idea

1) What do you mean by traditional food habit?
    2) Why should we follow traditional food habit?
    3) How can we help our next generation be aware off?

What do you think about this I'lites? Let me first share my views on this.

What do you mean by traditional food habit?

It is the Healthy life style,which we have seen and learnt from our elders.

For example:-
    In earlier days we will be given sweets and savories only if there is any festival/special occasion in our homes.
    During that time we enjoyed eating more because on other usual days we just cant see those items in our home.
    As we may eat more we will be given ginger drink or other alternatives in advance for easy digestion of the food items we eat.So we faced no health issues inspite of eating more.:wink:

From the above it is clear that though our elders were not aware of the direct pros and cons of the food habits
    they followed,they were able to follow a healthy diet which helped them a lot in leading a
    healthy life(they just followed what was followed by their elders). But today as we are aware of everything,
    our Lifestyle is more Healthier when compared with olden days but not exactly.

Why should we follow traditional food habit?

This Life is a gift by our elders. We should make it healthier by eating healthy foods and avoiding junk ones.Our Parents,grandparents,and youngsters cooking together in the kitchen, sharing family recipes and secrets passed from one generation to the next, is a lost art in many households.These days, it's hard for we busy parents even to take time out to teach their kids basic techniques.We are the role model for our kids.We should teach and guide them in a healthier way so they could make their Lifestyle healthy.[/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. anuusri

anuusri New IL'ite

contd...

How can we help our next generation be aware off?

->Following certain Rules at mealtimes such as washing hands before and after taking food, making perfect
    time for meals(BF,Lunch,Dinner),Eating meals regularly at the table/comfortable place instead of grazing,
    fixing proper timing for other meals and snacks, encourage kids them to eat by themselves and finish their
    plates.(earlier days our elders,first offer the prepared food to god, then they give for crow and then begin to take food. Some pray to god before taking each meal(we do in schools) and finally uneaten food will be given to dogs.

--> explaining the importance eating various food varieties in a creative way, help our children understand why they have to eat certain type of foods more and very less.(our grandparents tell us funny narrations such as if you eat too much your tummy looks like pot:biglaugh,don't eat the seeds in fruits then a tree will grow inside and so on.)

-->Eating together with family members will be helpful to know the likes and dislikes of the individuals and also
    wasting/restoring of uneaten food can be avoided.As far as today only dinning together is possible at dinner.[in our childhood days our grandma would sit in middle and we kids(mostly there were joint family before) sit surrounding her, she used to tell us stories and give food by showing the moon which is called as moon food also there will be a small competition for getting the last food ball so that we can become like an elephant:-D). Our children must also enjoy those things in practical rather telling them orally, as we used to be like this and do this in our childhood days].

Finally if we follow a healthy diet practise our children do follow it.By seeing us they should be able to choose What is good for them and what is not good. For example, it takes many of us years to become accustomed to the bitter taste of coffee,but once hooked many can't start the day without it.

Waiting for your views too I' Lites.

:cheers

--

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  6. stella_cb

stella_cb Junior IL'ite

Hi Anuradha,

I truly agree with whatever you have mentioned in your posts. Especially the below one. I always used to tell one of my friends who always has complaints about her son not eating all the fruits. When you eat fruits he will also gradually know that it is good for health and follow it.

Though our lifestyle is way too different from the traditional one, we may not have enough time, but we can be good examples for our children by following healthy lifestyle and eating healthy foods.

"Finally if we follow a healthy diet practise our children do follow it.By seeing us they should be able to choose What is good for them and what is not good. For example, it takes many of us years to become accustomed to the bitter taste of coffee,but once hooked many can't start the day without it. "

Regards
    Stella

7. anuusri

anuusri New IL'ite

Hi Stella,

8. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for such a nice an informative thread!

* I make myself eat a heavy breakfast which is the most important meal of the day traditionally

* And one fruit a day is what I follow now a days (since the last few months)

* Though I dont have the exactly called balanced diet in one meal (i.e. lunch/dinner) I try to have a balanced diet when all the meals in a day is considered

9. anuusri

anuusri New IL'ite

Hi MikesI and Gayathri,

Thanks for your feedback.

@Gayathri- Good to know that you are showing more concern to take a healthy diet everyday.

:cheers