1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How do we Improve immune system in kids and adults...

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by adara, Nov 6, 2009.

1. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Ladies,
    With so much viral infections going around we need a better immune system.
    What are the things to do to improve our health and immune system after we cross 30 especially women. Also, let us talk here about how to boost the immunity in kids.

Pour in your info and how you do in every day. Please tell me if there is already a thread started in this forum. I did not find a consolidated one for kids and adults.

Adara

Admin Note: Here are other interesting links of articles and discussions on tips to boost immunity

Boost Your Immune System
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/toddlers/35058-immunity-power-in-children.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/toddlers/198881-how-increase-resistance-power-toddler.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s.../14190-immune-boosting-foods-for-toddler.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/nature-cure/23543-laughter-the-best-medicine.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/health-issues/88017-foods-to-prevent-common-cold.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013

2. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Hi Adara,

some of the precautions I follow to imporve immunity for us(adults )

1. Drinking more water
    2.Taking zinc, vitamin c
    3.Eating sprouts in the breakfast
    4.Reducing carbs(especially simple carbs, sweets, cookies etc.)
    5.daily excercise(ofcourse I need to improve still on that :crazy)
    6. Rest

For kids:

1. giving immune support kids vitamins(which has vitamin c and zinc)
    2. Making them to drink more water
    3.not allowing to eat junk food
    4. proper rest

3. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi Adara

A simple, tried and researched method to improve immunity in Kids and Adults:

Increase the intake of Garlic.
    I used to get frequent flus while in college, whenever I go to mortuaries, then one of my seniors advised the below and I tried it and unbelievably it worked for me.
    Take 2,3 pods of garlic and boil in milk until it becoms soft then crush the garlic and drink with the milk. This I did for few weeks and After that the frequency of falling sick reduced dramatically.

I follow this to my kid too. But he wont drink the garlic with milk ao I add garlic liberally in all foods making sure that his intake is atleast 4 or 5 pieces of garlic per day. Touchwood he is immune enough to common colds/flu for a primary school kid.

Also I make sure the diet has 2 servings ( a fullcup= 1 serving) fruits, 3 servings of veggies everyday apart from milk/cheese and egg everyday!
    I give leeway for fast foods too once a week one meal can be his choice of junkie like Mac, Burger King, KFC or Pizza Hut.(tat way I can curb his grumblings of having to eat veggies everyday:))

Last week I read in the news paper that there has a been a research result published (in the USA) saying that the intake of Garlic is found to have improved immunity in human beings.

(Personally I am not in favour of giving health supplements pills(over the counter drugs) to kids since I am scared of Oversupplying than what the body actually needs and long term oversupply could be hazardous to health) But we have to check with our paeds if the kids needs any supplements and ask them to prescribe.

My 2 Cents!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Adara,

Like abhising, i don't believe in otc vitamins and health supplement and do avoid unless said by the doctors, as excess of anything is hazardous

this is what i do.

I give them a kashayam of tulsi,adjwain,raisin twice a week.

before i was giving them amla and honey. now i am getting concentrated amla extract. i just given them a spoon of that with water - no honey or sugar.

Giving them greens thrice a week. different ones everytime. i try out amaranth, brahmi, methi, palak and many others. (around 15 of them)
    the very humble and sour sorrel leaves are supposed to keep the lungs clean.

More of seasonal fruits along with their favs apple and oranges.

Lots of water. keeping their bowel movements regular is also a key.

we were a no garlic family. but after my cardiologist advice, giving kids garlic carmoflauged in some foods. they like it. thinking of introducing more.

Junk is only a packet of chips that they get once a month. otherwise it is biscuits (milk/crackers) and home made stuff.

This does not mean my kids do not get the occassional fevel and other things. actually it is healthy to get it according to some.:hide:

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Sorry wrong post

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Shanthi mam,

i have a doubt...Sorry to deviate from the topic...

1.Where do you get amaranth, brahmi in Chennai..how is it called here??
    2.Watz the benefit of amla soaked in Honey?? I know Amla is god but any reason for it to be soaked in Honey?? Saw in Nuts-N-Spices too..Bit expensive..But want to try if it is worth it

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Cindhu,

Amaranth is our molakirai aka thotakura in telugu. brahmi is vallarai keerai in tamil.

My siddha friend says amla soaked in honey (whole) is very good for immunity and hemoglobin levels. I was given because i was always aneamic. later we came to know i have less of iron absorbing capacity.

i think chitvish mam has given the recipe for the same.

8. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

:bonk:bonk:bonk..Thanks a ton for the clarification...

Will check Chitra mam's recipe index too ...

9. baladeepa

baladeepa New IL'ite

hi ladies

its a very good thread...

my kid is doing kg1...she has regular fever and cold...recently swine flu also...

even after giving antiboitics she is feeling sick...

i visited peadtrcs doctor,he gave all the medicine ,but still she is week...

i use to give her garlic,honey,fruits...

any suggestions or solutions pllllllllllllsssssssss.....

10. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    Lemon juice will increase the immunity.

Dear Shanvy,
    As you said, my Mom also used to give us Kashayam every week without fail. Ginger - garlic juice.