1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions pls....Hypothyroid with joint pain

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by rcvmegas, Oct 13, 2015.

1. rcvmegas

rcvmegas Senior IL'ite

Dear Ils,
    Below is my health history.
    1. Delivered twin girls via c section in 2011 at the age of 24.
    2. Developed hypothyroidism in 2013, the blood report showed high tsh levels but the primary care physician never mentioned it to me until I discovered a few months ago. tsh levels in 2013 was around 23. weight - 72kgs
    3. Starting taking levothyroxine 50 mcg from April 2015, at this time tsh levels were around 8. weight - 77 kgs
    4. Had joint pain issues, i wasn't able to sit on the floor or get up. when i try to get up knee and the bone running from knee to the feet hurts very badly.
    5. TSH dropped to 4.6 in june 2015. started experiencing joint pain all over. Legs, arms, elbows....sometimes I am not able to stretch my legs or bend my knee.
    6. I went to an endocrinologist last week, he suggested me to take Synthyroid, but however he was unable to explain the joint pain i was refereing to. he asked me to check with a primary care physician and get the x-rays or relevant tests done. current weight - 75 kgs.

What might be causing the joint pain? i feel pain all over..also my eyebrow bone hurts when pressed....what type of tests must be done?

I am not able to find a possible explanation to all these...pls advice me on this....thanks

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Missing a high TSH level on your blood report is pretty irresponsible of your GP. I think you should find a different primary care physician. Are you overweight? Your hypothyroidism definitely has a role to play if you are overweight. I'm not sure about the joint pain but a cursory Google search shows that joint pain is a very common side-effect of hypothyroidism. Not sure why your doctors failed to mention that. I would definitely seek alternate opinions.

1 person likes this.
  3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

take the synthroid for now and reduce the weight. Take the proper guidance from your doc to reduce the weight safely. I feel that the joint pain and knee pain could be due to overall poor muscle tone and therefore all the weight pushed onto the joints which are now protesting.

1 person likes this.
  4. Poetlatha

Poetlatha Platinum IL'ite

Dear friend, please check or do tests for Rehumatoid Arthritis(RA)too because you are saying all joints are hurting. And ask doctor what are the tests to check your immune system. My sister had hyperthyroid and after few years she has been suffering from RA. Pain,swelling ,stiffness,etc. can't get from bed or move. I'm not scaring you but cautioning. if you like to try alternative medicine, like accupuncture, kotakkal Arya Vaidya Salla try that out. My accupuncturists from Cuddalore is very good and she treated my hypothyroid. I took levoxyl for almost ten-12 years, then later got it corrected with accupuncture. But always you need to do your blood work to see that it's normal.

2. knee to feet bone problem or is it the sciatica nerve problem, try to figure that out clearly. The bone or the nerve. Physio is good for Sciatica. It's a nerve problem usually from hip to or low back to feet.

Please take care. My prayers for you to get better.

1 person likes this.
  5. rcvmegas

rcvmegas Senior IL'ite

Thanks Gauri03, 1sandhya, poetlatha.
    For my height, the weight should be less than 60 kgs. I am trying to loose weight and I am on good healthy diet. Due to joint pain I am not able to work out effectively. I somehow managed to reduce 2 kgs last month. I have an appt with a diff PCP next week...atleast I want to know what is causing these issues based on which i will be able to take appropriate treatment.
    Yes, I will get checked for RA, nerve problems....
    Will update my progress.....thank you all OPs..

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

A TSH of 4.6 is still high. I keep mine under 2.5 with the help of my PCP and endocrinologist. If you feel your doctors are not taking you seriously look around and switch. My physicians are great but I am also a squeaky wheel.
    As for the joint pain, have you had your vitamin D levels tested? I have rheumatoid arthritis-like symptoms in one of my hands, but my physician colleagues have said the other symptoms don't add up. It has become better with vitamin D supplementation, in addition to getting my thyroid under control.

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Don't worry about working out. I lost my first 20lbs with calorie counting and zero exercise. Just take a daily walk for whatever duration you find comfortable. It will help ease your joint problems. Exercise is not necessary for losing weight.

1 person likes this.
  8. rcvmegas

rcvmegas Senior IL'ite

Thanks Gauri03....

9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

You are welcome OP.

Personally I feel once your synthroid dose gets correctly adjusted most of the weight will come off naturally. The 2 kg you lost is too much for just a month and more because of your thyroid levels stabilizing due to the meds than your other efforts, I feel. But I am a layperson and this is just my opinion.

OP dont overexert now. Build up your muscle tone slowly. start small with daily walks, be more active around the house, though I am sure the twins are keeping you busy.

Actually I think your first priority should be to research pcp's and find a good one who is experienced in thyroid issues. Your first one dropped the ball which, frankly if you r really in US, is unheard of! - by me at least - and the second one doesn't seem to be much better either (He should have put you on Synthroid in April itself -- again just imo). So focus on that first.

And dont strain too much with exercise for right now. It will all happen -- with time.