1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Wheat atta..not healthy to keep kneaded atta for long

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by VanithaSudhir, Mar 30, 2015.

1. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

I wanted to know whether it is not healthy to keep chapati atta kneaded and kept for long.
    I usually knead it in the night and keep it in the fridge for next day use. One of my friends told me that it is not healthy and it causes Type 2 diabetes since the starch will be converted to sugar and is not good for health. I tried googling , but did not get much information.
    Can someone throw some light please ?

2 people like this.

2. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Vanitha, starch is just complex sugar so it will breakdown into sugar. But I have not heard anything about kneaded flour being unhealthy. The general idea is to eat food as fresh as possible, but with our busy lives it may not be always possible, so if you store kneaded atta don't store it for more than a day or two.

2 people like this.
  3. anitalovesyou

anitalovesyou Silver IL'ite

Hearing this for the first time ! I safely keep kneaded dough in the fridge for 1 or 2 days. No problem as such. People also say not to heat food in plastic plates or bowls in microwave, since it causes cancer. But tell me, who has stopped using plastic plates or microwave in todays busy lifestyle ??
    So dont worry much and relax. You can also get lots of health issues with stress :)

3 people like this.
  4. VanithaSudhir

Thanks priya & Anita.
    I don't keep the atta for more than a day. Actually I keep it overnight. Until I didn't know about it, it was fine. After knowing it, I am little hesitant. Anita.. I am not sure about others, but I don't use plastics to microwave or use teflons.
    I know there are so many unknown things that we still do ...which might cause issues, but want to avoid known health hazards at least.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@vanithasudhir I do store atta for a couple of days. it does not break into sugar as far as i know. I know many keep the proven dough for baking later in the fridge or freezer depending on when they want to bake.

if you just pop it into a box and store the chances are it becomes grey on the top and looks slightly off when you want to make..

the trick is to apply a little oil on to the dough. wrap it tight in a aluminium foil or cling wrap as per your choice and then put it into a box or zip loc bag as per your convenience and put it into the fridge. i don't have any color change. i find my rotis or puris remain great as done with fresh.

you can also freeze them as rotis..but they don't taste the same as rotis made from stored dough..

3 people like this.
  6. VanithaSudhir

Thanks shanvy. Yes I do wrap the dough in a foil and put it in a ziplock and refrigerate. But hearing that it is not good to leave them for long...has left me concerned. I tried checking in the net... And found that wheat bread is not good for health for the same reasons. Lol. Confused now..

7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

News to me though I knead it only fresh and tossed out the microwave long back. So after all the white stuff being unhealthy now the wheat bread? Wonder whst to eat?

4 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@vanithasudhir if you mean refrigerating bread by this sentence i think i can explain why it is thought so..

1 person likes this.
  9. VanithaSudhir

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@vanithasudhir the only thing that i agree with the article is that the wheat that is now grown is not what it was. so is rice that we get now.

I did discuss this once in another thread. when my family used to cultivate paddy it was just two crops a year. and slowly it became 3 months..and now we have paddy that can be harvested in lesser time too.

Same is the case of wheat.

i don't discount digestive issues. there are many people in india too who have gluten and wheat allergies , even i went through a gut inflammations and stayed off wheat for almost 3-4 months.
    https://celiacdiseaseindia.com/

Celiac India

and we can't just live every minute scared off our own shadows. moderation is the key and rotation and cycling your carbs also helps..that is what i do for myself and my family.

1 person likes this.