1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Iron rich foods.

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by keethi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. kalavati

kalavati New IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks for lot of info on iron rich foods. I think I came to the right thread for this.
    I need it now.

2. kosher

kosher New IL'ite

Iron Rich foods are mainly useful for the Iron Deficiency and the Anaemic patients.There are so many Iron containing foods.

1) Spinach.
    2) Soya bean.
    3) Kidney beans.
    4) Tomato.
    5) Potato.
    6) Watermelon.
    7) Broccoli.

3. keethi

keethi Silver IL'ite

Hi all ladies,

I am taking vitamin tablets.always periods delay.So all of you kindly take iron rich foods.It is very important for our health.

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

3 years back when I had my son, during the entire pregnancy, haemoglobin content was an issue. the iron pills caused constipation. Lack of iron gave me extreme tiredness.

Drumsticks - are known good for iron content. Just boil a few pieces on top of the rice in a cooker and eat them as it is.

I do not get drumsticks often, so now-a-days I make a point to include spinach atleast twice a week

5. keethi

keethi Silver IL'ite

Hi ptamil,

Ya have greens as often as you can.:)

6. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    It happened to me also. In the third trimester I was very anemic and I have to take iron tablets which led to severe constipation.:drowningStill I felt very tired. After the delivery also I felt the deficiency upto one year.

7. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

very true vidhya...mine was also something similar.

how the importance of eating balanced diet strikes us during such times:)

8. ssdonkar

ssdonkar Silver IL'ite

Thanks for shareing this very important information.

Aaditi S

9. a16s

a16s New IL'ite

hi all,

as I am also in iron deficiency. I hate taking iron tablets because they cause constipation. I found the following details:-

Sources

<TABLE><THEAD><TH>Food Product</TH><TH>Quantity [mg]</TH><TH>Iron</TH></THEAD>Bajra1 thich chapatti [30mg]2.4Poha [rice flakes]1 katori [30gm]6.0Chana [roasted]1 katori [30gm]3.0Soybean1 katori [20gm]2.0Pudina1 katori [50gm]8.0Amarnath leaves1 katori [50 gm]11.0Colocasia leaves1 katori [50gm]5.0Red meat2-3 medium size pcs [90gm]2.0Dried fish2 pcs [35gm]7.0Lotus stemHalf pc [100gm]61.0Dates [dried]100gm7.3Raisins100gm7.7Til1 teaspoon [5gm]0.5Garden cress seeds1 teaspoon [5gm]5.0Jaggery1 teaspoon [5gm]0.2

Can anybody suggest me. I found from my friend that she tried til, jaggery,methi seeds for her son to retain the iron levels. Now I am in very low iron I have to gain the iron, by looking into the above I found the lotus root has much iron.

Did anybody tried if so can I know what the results are?

I am hypothyroid person too. So I have to check my food, beacuse of adverse effects on throid.

Thanks in advance....

10. keethi

keethi Silver IL'ite

Hi a1,

You can get ideas here.But since you have thyroid problem,kindly check up with doctor and get to know what to eat and what not to eat.:)