1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian or Non-Vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Custard, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hi Pandusk,

Welcome to the Thread.... It brings me happiness whenever I hear that a person is Veg !!!
    I'm really happy that u are one and that too u are able to look at them as animals. :thumbsup

Regarding ur hubby.... I dont think its good idea to persuade one to become a Veg.... It has to come from WITH IN and only then it will be permanent.
    If he eats it only for taste, then surely u can try the recipes that u will find in this thread soon & try them.... and may be at some point of time Ur dreams of ur hubby being a Veg will come true!!!

Good Luck!!! :cheers

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

i eat non-veg but not that frequently...i love veggies very much and never hesitate to try to a new recipe out of it..sure will up with relative recipes :hiya

3. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Thanks Cindhuja !!! :cheers

4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Masala Mushroom :-

Heat 2-3 teaspoons of oil

Splutter 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds

Next add 1 clove

once they crack add 3-4 garlics crushed with the skin and a handful of curry leaves

Once the garlic gets golden brown add finely chopped onions

For 1 packet of mushroom(15-20) 2 medium sized onions are required

Once the onions gets sauted well add 1 teaspoon of chilli powder, 1 teaspoon of coriander powder, 1/4 teaspoon of cumin powder, few pinches of turmeric powder and enough salt.

saute till the raw smell of spices goes off

Then add mushrooms (chop them into bite size pieces)

add very little water and cover the vessel with a lid to cook well

Kindle then and then and sprinkle water if necessary

Do not pour more water as the mushroom itself emits moisture

Once done little oil and saute in low flame for 1-2 minutes.

the masalas in it make you feel some mutton recipe is cooking in the stove :crazy

Do not add too much of chilli powder as we do with other gravies..the aroma of the spices and mushroom will vanish then

Goes well with steamed rice and rotis :thumbsup

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  5. vijaya1982

vijaya1982 Bronze IL'ite

hi,

i am a vegetaraian, before i used to eat eggs but from 2 years i stopped eggs also not even in cakes.

even i am also tired to make my DH to stop eating nv! no use. My husband is fond of chicken.

If anybody will give recipes of eggless cakes and cookies, i will be greatfull.

Rgds,
    vijaya

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  6. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Cindhuja,

Thank u so much for the recipe..... my recipe too is some what similar..... ya we used to tell small kids(who come home) that this is chicken..... and they only comment that, "my mom makes it little more better".....

Ur recipe will be of great help to all readers.
    Thanks again :cheers

7. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Vijaya,

Very happy to meet u here.....
    me too stopped eating eggs only later.
    Oh !!! I have many cake recipes without eggs.... Sure will post them..... they will be mostly links.... keep visiting I will post soon.

8. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Dear Custard,

Nice topic.. Me & DH are both chicken lovers.. We had a lot of non-veg dishes after marriage and honestly in three years our weights have increased drastically.. I blame it all on non- veg addiction.. We both are now trying to reduce the consumption of non- veg food.. may be once a week as I did mention in my post too..

Thanks,

9. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Dear Custard,

I am a lacto-ovo-vegetarian. I used to eat chicken before but stopped after marriage. In my opinion , both has its own pros and cons. Irrespective of what you eat, if you watch your portion size and calories , you can lead a healthy life if you really want to. We prefer the easiest way and make wrong choices when eating. We prefer chips to a fruit. We prefer fried food to steamed food ( Me included ).

In my observation, vegetarian food is rich in carbs (no.. not good carbs ) and non-vegetarian food is rich in fat(from meat etc.,). Following either without any changes isn't healthy at all. If fat can increase your cholestrol and risk of heart disease, so can bad carbs.

Being a vegetarian in US is all the more difficult. I end up eating fries and cheese pizza since I wouldn't have anyother choice.

So my idea: Get the right amount of proteins , vitamins and minerals, fats in your food (veg or non-veg) within your calorie limits.

Now do I like being a vegetarian ? Yes and no. Yes because I cut down the fat from meat and eat lot of veggies. No, because I don't get enough proteins in my vegetarian food.

I am now trying hard to make every meal rich in protein, eat good carbs and cut down on unwanted fat.

Thanks,
    Aswini

Ansuya likes this.
  10. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hi Deepali,

Thanks for the feed back..... and All The Best for reducing weight !!!
    Do keep telling us about ur progress :cheers