1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Best cooking oil

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by machan, Jul 5, 2013.

1. hotchillipepper

hotchillipepper Gold IL'ite

Our body needs fat. This fat comes from oils/nuts/seeds/fat from meat and dairy etc. Now for every part of the body requirement are different. To give you a hint, Proper growth of some part needs Omega 3 more(flax seeds/fatty fish consumption, walnuts for brain function), some part needs O6(Sunflower oil/corn oil etc for lungs ), some part needs O9 (olive oils for heart) , and for heavy duty clean up we need sturdy oils like coconut oil. If we focus on one oil then its quite possible that the body functions which needs other oils might get starved and not heal themselves appropriately. If you have good body reserves then you might never notice but slowly it might start affecting functions. So rotation is best policy. Also IMO oils which are produced locally are best for that climate because nature choose those things to grow there for a reason! one should try to include more locally produced oil and lesser of other oils. HTH

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  2. machan

machan Platinum IL'ite

Thank u friends for all your replies...Nowadays we are getting all oils in the name of REFINED..Is it the refined oils are good??or can we use the normal proceeded oils..I have no isssues on the rice bran oil..As many friends told here I want to rotate the oils..But I am getting refined sunflower oil only..Any suggestions.which brand of olive oil is good to buy??

3. priyasakhi

priyasakhi New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

My 2 cents here...I believe in using Olive oil for cooking including deep frying. I completely agree that Olive oil and Extra Virgin oil oil both are very costly compared to the refined oils that we get. However, the fact is that Transfat and Cholesterol are way less in these.

So in the long run if you see the benefits it definitely pays off. My idea is its better to spend on quality food all the time rather on hospital bills all at once. This is how I use.

I use Olive oil for making curries, seasoning etc.
    Saffola refined oil for deep frying. I even use Olive oil for deep frying , alternate both so that cost is reduced.
    Use Gingely oil for making dosas.
    Olive oil spray also can be used for dosas
    Olive oil again for dosa molagapodi (spice powder used as an accompaniment for dosas)

4. priyasakhi

priyasakhi New IL'ite

Hi,

You can buy any brand of oilve oil, just make sure it is an imported one. Indian olive oil brands have not yet made a great leap in Olive oils.

Best place is a wholesale supermarket like Reliance, Spencers, or Big Bazaar where they have offers like buy 500 ml and get 300 ml free kind of things.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  5. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi machan, needy topic. I use extra virgin olive oil and sunflower oil in alternative days for cooking. sunflower oil for deep frying. Gingerly oil for traditional recipes, dosa, podi, mustard oil for some fries. Thinking to include rice bran oil.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

pls tell me which one is best (brand)groundnut oil and rice bran oil in India??

7. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Good topic really useful too.I use gingelly oil for making dosa and sambar.For deep frying sunflower oil and in addition I use bot sunflower oil and olive oil for curries.

1 person likes this.
  8. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Years back I used rice bran oil and got some skin problems so I hardly buy it.

1 person likes this.
  9. harinikanthi

harinikanthi Silver IL'ite

hi i am using goldwinner sunflower oil for seasoning ,deep frying and sesame oil for seasoning sambar ,kulambu and idly milakai podi for many years.here after only i have to think about rotating oil usage. what about using palm oil? my neighbour uses this for deepfrying papads or puris etc.but discarding the used oil.is it good to use the palm oil? went on google about it.but there is no perfect review for this.

10. machan

machan Platinum IL'ite

HiThanks for you repy..Its a very good idea to buy in offers..