1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How to change the habbit of eating rice daily?????????

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by shireesha06, Jul 1, 2013.

1. shireesha06

shireesha06 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your replies friends.

2. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Sireesha,

I am also a south Indian and rice is an inevitable part of our diet.. When it comes to weight loss, the main entry that had to go out is white rice, as its rich in starch and sugars. Below are the few things that i am following from february 2013, since i started my weight loss mission.

1. We have rice only for one time a day. Specially at dinner ,we avoid rice, even if it is left over from lunch.
    2. At any cost, i am eating brown rice since february , while LO and DH have white rice. I pressure cook white rice for them, and microwave the brown rice for me in a small bowl. It takes much time for the brown rice to cook than the normal white rice.
    3. At the beginning, brown rice was like hell for me. But slowly got accustomed to it. I can have the same sambar, veggies for lunch, but replaced white rice with brown rice.( I measure a 1/4 flat cup) It appears very little, but i compensate with vegetables and dal .. It will be very light to eat and filling your stomach also.
    4. Also, when i make pulao and other variety rice, i take white rice only, because it is very tough for me to make it with the brown rice.
    5. Make sure to take other grains like wheat, ragi, bajra powder, jowar, oats etc in our daily diet.
    So our diet goes like, one time a day rice ( Brown Rice for me) for lunch and roti, phulka and multi grain dosas etc for other two times.
    There are whole lot of recipes in the internet with other grains too.. Make sure you have a early dinner and the kitchen is cleaned up before 8 PM. That makes time for the family for a short night walk or a conversation time together and also the food is digested before going to bed.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    3 people like this.
  3. swehara

swehara Junior IL'ite

Hi Sireesha,

Nice to see your blogg.. Gen we cant skip rice. One of my Tip
    1. Eat rice once in a day
    2.When you eat rice take the qt of rice less and qt of vegetable more which means you are consuming more veggie and less rice.
    3. Eat 4-5 times a day with intervals which is very good for helath , example: have bf ( idli, dosa etc..) at 8, have a fruit at 10, lunch at 12 , tea at 3 , snack at 5 , dinner at 8..

Hope this helps.

Good day..

1 person likes this.
  4. Vidhya84

Vidhya84 Senior IL'ite

For me the trick to eat less (rice/roti!) is not watch TV while eating. Helps us concentrate on food :)

1 person likes this.
  5. upavi

upavi Gold IL'ite

Brown rice, cracked wheat, oats, quinoa are the substitute for white rice. For all things expect oats i pressure cook it & eat it with sambhar, rasam & veggies.

1 person likes this.
  6. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

You can have include lot of protein with sambar and curry in place of rice and have two to three rotis for lunch. Yes, as other poster mentioned daliya is a great inclusion into the diet. You can also knock of white rice idli and dosa with ragi or oats idli/dosa.

If you still have a white rice craving, do take a small portion.

Regards.

1 person likes this.
  7. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Do not neglect rice completely. It is required. Even regular chapathi eaters of north do take rice but less frequently.

I too follow the same practice (which Radha had also mentioned) and got over the addiction of eating rice. But I make it a point to have 2 tbsp of rice every afternoon with buttermilk.

The sambar or other curries you make can be had with the broken wheat / lapsi / dhalia.

Do not make your son get addicted on chapathis. Make him eat everything but with no addiction. this habit if cultivated from childhood will go a long way in building up his health.

1 person likes this.
  8. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

This time I bought virragu,samai and thennai rice from India,all of them are different types of millets.
    You can cook them like rice ,make payasam and I made adai as well from them,very tasty.You can find some recipes from Google.You can use Burghol wheat,Sabudhana,Aval uppuma as well .Even Ragi,maize ,buck wheat flours can be used.

4 people like this.
  9. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Kanaka,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

for your response. How did that all went out of my mind!!!! :)

Yeah now the option is more for shireesha with Jowar, Ragi, Bajra, Red Rice, Corn, Maize etc

1 person likes this.
  10. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,

As a southie..avoiding rice from regular diet is highly impossible..since 6months we replaced white rice with brown rice, rotis, dalia(bansi rava), couscous, quinoa, old fashioned oats or steel cut oats and taking lots of millets like ragi, jowar, bajra in dosa or idli forms..

Sravani