1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Goodness of ALMONDS

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by rkgurbani, Mar 6, 2012.

1. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Almonds not only taste good, but they are also full of vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidents and health-promoting fats. They help to reduce cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart diseases.
    Though referred to as a nut, almond is actually the seed of the fruit of the almond tree. They are off-white in colour, covered by a thin brownish skin, and encased in a hard shell. There are two kinds of almonds: sweet and bitter. While sweet almonds are the kind that are eaten; bitter almonds are used to make almond oil, known to strengthen bones, improve skin and hair.

Some health benefits of almonds are as follows -
    * Almonds have a high percentage of copper therefore these highly nutritious nuts help increase bone mineral density, making a strong skeletal system.

*Doctors across the globe recommend consumption of almonds before and after pregnancy. A leading source of Vitamin E, the most essential nutrient for mothers-to-be; a handful of almonds can supply 33% of the Vitamin E required by the body.

*Almonds, when eaten frequently help in weight management. Thanks to its nutrient density, almonds have the effect of making you feel full and thereby reducing cravings and possibilities of over eating.

*The antioxidant properties of almonds are considered to be good for your skin and hair. So eating almonds, or alternately applying almond oil to your skin and hair will help you to derive its benefits.

*Nutrients in almonds such as manganese, riboflavin, and copper are all known to aid energy production. If you’re the kind who is always on the go, keep almonds handy for an instant energy boost.

*Including almonds in your regular diet helps increase HDL or “good” cholesterol, levels, and lowers LDL or “bad” cholesterol, levels.

*The antioxidant properties of almonds are considered to be good for your skin and hair. So eating almonds, or alternately applying almond oil to your skin and hair will help you to derive its benefits.

Came across these benefits while surfing the net and thought of sharing it here.

Here are some ways in which we use almonds....
    I usually grind soaked almonds and use the almond paste in recipes instead cashew paste.
    Also, I normally garnish my desserts and ice-creams with toasted and sliced crunchy almonds.
    Sometimes, we toss a few in our bowl of milk and cornflakes at breakfast time.
    Chilled Badam Milk is a very yummy drink during summers.

Friends, do share some more tips on how you all include almonds in your diet.

Admin Note: Here are other interesting threads that you may wish to read!

http://www.indusladies.com/category/1/Health-Wellness
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/27330-health-benefits-of-almond.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/face-and-skin-care/129462-share-benefits-almond-oil-skin.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/face-and-skin-care/178275-olive-oil-almond-oil-best.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/face-and-skin-care/75465-almond-oil-face-skin-care.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
    9 people like this.

2. nnarmadha

nnarmadha Platinum IL'ite

WOW..USeful info about Almonds.Thanks mam!!!

3. Mrudhani

Mrudhani Silver IL'ite

Hi
    Very useful information about almonds.
    1) I try to use almonds in place of cashews (pasted form in side dishes).
    2) I have used almonds in the multi cereal kanji powder which i prepare at home.
    3) Best way of having them is to soak the 2-3 almonds in water during nights and the next day morning having them in empty stomach after peeling the skin.
    4) Also badham milk is an all time favorite for everyone (though i have tried only ready made ones available in the market).
    5) I have heard about people having oats and almonds milk shake which is a high energy drink.
    6) Soaked almonds after peeling + boiled carrots + milk blended together makes a carrot almond smoothie (cashews also can be used)

A small beauty tip about almonds is that they help in reducing dark circles (so jus soak 3-4 almonds in water and paste it and apply around the eyes for treating dark circles)

1 person likes this.
  4. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

I give my child this....MILK mixed with small chopped banana, chiku, apple, pomegranate seeds, dates, almonds, cashews, pistachios, honey, cardamom powder, and kishmish daily. He does not like smoothies much but he likes this.

5. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Useful info....everyday night I used to soak few almonds in warm water. The next day morning I would remove the skin and have the almonds in empty stomach. Then will drink some water.

6. shivanithakur

shivanithakur Silver IL'ite

Thanks for very useful tips.

Shivani

7. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very useful information...!!!

8. kalaipriya

kalaipriya Platinum IL'ite

that's an useful post

9. sambangi

sambangi Junior IL'ite