1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Which fruits and common foods to avoid for border line diabetics?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by GitaAM, Nov 30, 2011.

1. GitaAM

GitaAM New IL'ite

My husband has recently got high blood sugar levels even though he does not like nor eats sweets, cakes etc.

We eat a lot of fresh fruit, dates etc.

Any idea which fruits and common foods should generally be avoided for high blood sugar cases?

There is confusion in information available on many sites, so if anyone has personal experience, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Admin Note: Do check interesting threads and article on diabetic diet

Diabetic Diet
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/98652-diet-for-diabetes.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/3384-diet-for-diabetic-patients.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/158097-diet-dos-and-donts-diabetics.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/f...71270-natural-home-remedies-for-diabetes.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/155814-best-fruits-for-diabetes.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/krishnaammas-kitchen/20732-snacks-and-tiffens-for-diabetic.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013

2. roamin

roamin New IL'ite

In short, one should avoid food with high glycemic index (can find by google search for any food). so one should avoid sweets and the like, rice (prefer wheat instead), potato (prefer sweet potato instead, in this sweetness is not sugar, it's a very beneficial and high fibre veg), eat food with fibre like oat, vegetables, fruits (avoid mango banana in excess), and yes, karela is beneficial due to a certain compound in it.

3. kavitharaja

kavitharaja New IL'ite

Apart from what roamin said, avoid jackfruit.
    Also, guava is supposed to be good for diabetes. Also, all of these fruits are not to be completely avoided. It has got so many other vitamins that is good for the health, so it should be eaten on a regular basis.

4. laxsuresh

laxsuresh New IL'ite

Dates should be avoided.

5. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

wheat,oats and millet should be included...avoid normal rice...

6. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

white rice can be replaced with not-polished rice/ brown rice..

1 person likes this.
  7. GitaAM

GitaAM New IL'ite

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have also been looking through reliable [hopefully!] sites such as the Mayo Clinic, for more info.

The Mayo Clinic site suggests not to exclude high sugar fruits but just to reduce the intake. Some other sites say avoid this, include that and so forth, rather confusing.

At present we dont have rice every day, maybe twice or thrice a week and not in large quantity. Other days we have 2 chapathis each. Dinner is the only proper meal, that too almost entirely fat free.

Lunch time is usually roasted gram - chana - with a fruit or at most a sandwich or idli with limited chutney/sambar. Breakfast is home made oats with low fat curd, chopped apple or whatever fruit is available and flax seeds, plus one more fruit - orange, papaya, whatever.

We also have cinnamon and fenugreek seed infusion every morning, nowadays also adding karela to that potion. Any ideas about karela?

Thanks for any further suggestions and advice.
    Hubby's FBS when last tested was 124, cholesterol normal. My sugars are normal but high LDL [genetic].

8. sreyachandra

sreyachandra New IL'ite

Hi Geetha,

Diabetics can be genetical,due to lot of stress,constipation,gall bladder stones.Let me know if he has got gallbladder stones.

U try this recipe it really work wonders : Raddish-1,drumstick-2,karela-1(big size),bottlegoud-half piece,methi leaves-handful,curry leaves-handful,dhania leaves(kothimeer)-handful,capsicum-1...cut all these veggies into small pieces,add overnight soaked fenugreek seeds,sprinkle small tablespoon of amla powder,a bit of cinnamon powder,salt to taste, a pinch of blackpepper,...steam all these ingredients and give him for breakfast,eat with roti..ones or twice in a week try to add red kidney beans or channa or blackeyed beans,horse gram so that u get proteins...

early morning :take tablets or no tablets no problem with fenugreek water,u can use those seeds in steamed veggies
    mid morning : 1 plate full of steamed veggies
    afternoon : stomach full salad..lettuce,cucumber,tomatoes,greenpeppers,boiled beans
    snacks : handful of nuts mainly almonds+raisins(no cashews,no peanuts) or u can eat sunflower seeds,brazilian nuts,raisins
    supper : 1 glass buttermilk with curryleaves,fenugreekseeds,salt..... tadka
    dinner : same steamed veggies with pulkas-2

drink only luke warm water,there should be a gap of 1 hour for ur solid food and liquids,never drink water along with ur food.

1 person likes this.
  9. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

Along with these things, let him have lot of water. Butter milk should be watery. Dates, pineapple, mango, banana and jack fruits should not be taken.

Try to avoid potato, sweet potato, ground nuts etc...

karela juice is good for diabetics.

fry the fenugreek seed (methi) and powder it. This powder can be taken in early morning with empty stomach . All bitter vegetables are good for diabetes.

10. skanum

skanum New IL'ite

Many members have already written many helpful tips --all are useful for Diabetes.I am in the border line diabetic level.I control my sugar levels
    1-no sugar -or splenda in tea or coffee.
    2-if you take any type of fruit juice -take 1/2 cup juice and 1/2 water-avoid cokes and colas.
    eat fruits in small quantities
    3-drain of the water after rice is cooked ,take rice 1/2 --3/4 cup only once a day avoid rice at night-have early dinner .
    4-take 3/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds as a must with water daily in the morning .this is the best medicine --this controls sugar levels ,liver, kidneys and pancreas.
    5-check A1C SUGAR LEVELS 3 times a year this shows your sugar levels the last 3 months ask your doctor about it I am regular with this test and i know where i stand .
    6-break fast -take oats, quinoa, low carb bread no white bread. rotis made from multi grain atta.i eat everything in limits.
    7-i take GLYMIN ( KERALA AYURVEDIC TABLETS 2-- a day this helps to control sugarlevels.
    8- i walk for 45 mins daily -do yoga and breathing exercises (art of living )daily.By doing all these tips i am able to be fit ,healthy
    9-diabetes is a silent killer

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
    2 people like this.