1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Natural Remedies from your Spice rack

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by sabita1987, Mar 10, 2011.

1. sabita1987

sabita1987 Bronze IL'ite

HI friends,

This thread is about spice rack.What to do with your spice rack?
    Spices are the building blocks of many dishes.Lets learn some really quick and delicious fixes using the most basic spices.
    Come and share here about your favourite spice , its taste it its use and its quick fix to any dishe.We can share about any spice take it from mustard seeds to crushed chillies.
    I hope this thread may help to us for gathering information about the spices.

Admin Note: Read our related article

Healing Power of Spices

2. sabita1987

sabita1987 Bronze IL'ite

Hi buddies,

Let me start it first:) with a spice ummm......
    CINNAMON
    It tastes like sweet and fragnant.Generally we use it in garam masala powder,biryani,cakes,rolls etc.In chocolates and milky desserts it adds a rich flavour.
    :idea Hey gals do u know some thing drinking hot water with a pinch of cinnamon powder may make us to reduce our weight.
    One of my favourite drink with cinnamon is HOT CHOCOLATE.
    Melt 4 chocolate squares in the microwave.Add 1/2 tsp of cinamon powder and some hot milk.Stir.Voila!
    Delicious hot chocolate with a twist!

I think u people like this ,post your comments plz:thumbsup

LUV
    Sabita:cheers

3. sabita1987

sabita1987 Bronze IL'ite

Hey gals,
    Today i want to post about one more spice SAFFRON.Floral,pungent aroma and an earthy,musky taste.It adds a vibrant yellow colour to food.A little goes a long way,so use sparingly.Add saffron to kheer,phirni and halwa.Dilute in a little milk and use a mortar and pestle to extract maximum flavour before adding it in.
    I hope you gals like this ,and plz post some more information about the spices in your spice rack.

LUV
    Sabita

4. smartgrl

smartgrl Bronze IL'ite

I like the aroma of cardomom(elachi)
    esp in tea!!!!!!!!!!

5. sabita1987

sabita1987 Bronze IL'ite

Hi smartgirl,
    I too like the flavour of CARDAMOM.Now i want to share some more uses of it.I used cardamom in savoury and sweet dishes.Crush pod to add flavour to rich rice dishes.Biryani and curries also taste great with a dash of cardamom.I also add crushed seeds to baked apples or in a biscuit mix.
    Hey i want to share aome biscuits that are made with a dash of cardamom.
    Beat together 40 ml of freshly squeezed orange juice,zest of 1 orange,125gms icing sugar,50 grams white butter,100grams finely chopped almonds or cashewnuts,60grms flour and 1/2tsp of powdered cardamom.Put a spoonful of the batter on well-greased baking tray and spread out thinly with a fork.Bake at 180degree c for about 10 minutes.Lift and immediately roll around a rolling pin or the back of round bowl,or leave as is.Cool for five minutes and then gently slide off.
    UMM yummy cardamom biscuits are ready.I hope you like this biscuits.Plz comments on my post.

Luv

6. sabita1987

sabita1987 Bronze IL'ite

Hi gals,
    Today i want to share about CRUSHED CHILLIES.
    Spicy,it adds heat to any dishes-indian,thai,chinese,mexican and in pasta.Generally i use it in any bland preparation that needs a little kick.Hey i want to share one receipe with crushed chillies.
    Finely chop an onion and saute in olive oil.Add sweetcorn kernels and crushed red chillies with a bit of salt and pepper.Drizzle leamon juice over it.Thats it you can enjoy this simple snack on a rainy day.We can replace sweetcorn with any sprouts to make it more healthy.
    I hope you gals like this.

7. sabita1987

sabita1987 Bronze IL'ite

Hi gals,
    Today wnat to share about ASAFOETIDA,it is commonly called as hing or inguva.It tastes like strong,pungent smell that disappears once cooked.
    Generally ,i use it in vgetarian and pulse dishes,or it is good even in pickles also.It can be used to replace garlic in some dishes.Use sparingly as it has a strong flavour.Sambhar,rasam and dry vegetables taste great with a pinch of hing.

Gals share some more uses of hing or in what form you use it.

8. vayusri

vayusri Senior IL'ite

:hiya Sabita,

I mostly use it in sambar.

ASAFOETIDA can be used as a medicine / home remedy for many reasons.

For gas and flatulence, you may add a pinch of hing to buttermilk with a pinch of salt and drink it after meals.

A piece of hing placed on an aching tooth, reduces pain.

You can even apply hing on an itching skin for relief.

9. sabita1987

sabita1987 Bronze IL'ite

Hey sri,thanks for sharing such a wounderful uses of hing:bowdown.

10. xxuser

xxuser New IL'ite

Hing is a real life saver for me.Couple of years before i was in hospital for heavy stomuch pain. They did all tests but cudn find anything.I should say the fear of non identification added to my pain .At last my grand ma brought a bottle full of butter milk with lot of hing and asked me to drink it.And a big burp solved it all:rotfl. Since then Hing is my friend in Kitchen.What ever i cook , I ensure hing is added in one item or the other.It really helps ..