1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Are these foods really safe??

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by SriVidya75, Feb 27, 2011.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I might sound obsessive about these daily reports or articles I read, but last couple of weeks I have seen Yahoo posting several articles on foods that are not safe or foods that might be full of pesticides, veggies and fruits which may actually cause more harm rather than helping us.

So whats your take on this friends? what do you think are these articles / information valid? do we really have to worry about what we are eating or feeding our kids?

The most scariest foods on the list were fruits with most sensitive/thin skin (like straw berries/ blueberries/rasp berries/apples/ and what not....) and veggies like potatoes, (they said the farmers who grow these potatoes wont eat them and they grow separate bunch for themselves i.e the organic variety for their family use), tomatoes, I guess celery or some other veggies were also included

These foods reported high levels of pesticies and germs which may not be removed even afer washing them thoroughly.

I was wondering , so this way what are the foods that we are left with? are foods really becoming more artificial? more than the quality, quantity is what targeted at while growing them? is it safe to eat the regular fruits n veggies and if we have to depend on organic stuff, more than affordability can we be sure thatthe organic variety dont contain any bacteria like e.coli? I am referring to the incident that happened last year or so where spinach was banned for couple of months due to wide spread out break of e.coli.

So whats safe to eat / feed our kids with out actually getting hurt or spoiling health.? what are your thoughts?

Admin Note: Make sure you check other interesting discussions and article on Organic Food

Know About Organic Food
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/162992-organic-vs-non-organic.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/4669-organic-foods-is-it-worth.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/personal-services/25961-organic-groceries-and-vegetables.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/shopping-and-restaurants/62713-food-without-fertilizer.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/157192-organic-milk-in-chennai.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/general-discussions-usa-and-canada/70806-organic-poultry.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013

2. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Srividhya...Good questions you have raised and even I am bugged with those!

But living in different geographical locations with our choice of occupations gives us no choice or to be choosers. I try to buy the Org stuff as much as possible despite their exorbitant pricing. How abt you?

And is the "organic Food" safer...or rather healthier? See the below article
    Organic 'not as healthy': Vegetables grown with pesticides contain MORE vitamins | Mail Online

Hm...very thought provoking and and becoming more paranoid ...day by day:drowning. God save us:bowdown!

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

That link doesnt sound legitimate maa..:bonkthese days everyone is posting their own views on blogs and if one points towards one direction, anotherpoints to the other...

Come on they are saying the pesticides that they add to grow the vegetables actually will help in creating more nutrients in the plants??:bonkwhen did this discovery happen:biglaughi mean we can never get nutrients from poisons isnt it??

We have started buying organic fruits, but I was wondering, USDA terms of organic by defnition are diff. than eurpean terms of organic I heard USDA has more lineant rules of what is organic etc..so thats another concern:hide:eek:r is it that am reading too many such articles:crazy

4. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Srividhya, Did we(government) pay heed to the farmers/Indian scientist/ecologist when they said using pesticides/fertilizers on plants are not good for the plants and the soil as well?

We agree only when someone else says.We are always like that aren't we?:hide:

BTW, it looks like in the current scenario, it is better to grow all veggies by ourselves.

5. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Whether organic or not, its always good atleast to wash the surface well before consuming. sometimes its difficult to have too many choices. Being aware of what's happening around is good. but ultimately its our sole discretion to decide what to take & follow and what not.

6. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

By rule, we need to take all online reports with a lot of salt. They are not scientifically validated , so hold no proof. Some articles are written to promote Organic food.

New fad is organic food ..may be after some years we will hear bad stuff about organic food. I am not against/pro to Oraganic food, but always wonder pesticides are used to kill the pests, so what would organic food farmers do to prevent pests.? They would leave them as it is or they use some natural processess which are not proven yet.

I would just wash all the fruits/Vegs well before consuming. That is all.

7. samraa

samraa Bronze IL'ite

I totally agree with what armummy has posted. I wash green leafy vegetables,grapes in salt water .wash well and eat-it's the best we can do.

8. shyly

shyly New IL'ite

I think we should most certainly wash veggies and stuff before eating .That makes them safe and clear of all unwanted stuff.

9. shyly

shyly New IL'ite

:cheers dont stop enjoying the bounties of mother nature wash well and eat

10. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

+1 to this. My mom used to use rock salt to wash vegetables and fruit. I use table salt or rock salt.

-Lakshmi