1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Clear Blocked Nose and Sinuses

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by mssunitha2001, Mar 23, 2010.

1. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

i GOT THIS AS A FORWARDED MAIL....MAY BE BENEFICIAL ...TRY OUT ..THEY ARE EASY

How To Clear Blocked Nose and Sinuses

What do you do when you have a blocked nose or blocked sinuses and nothing clears it? Or it clears for a while then blocks up again?

There are two easy, natural solutions. One is massaging your nose, the other is sinus flushing.

Self-massaging your nose is the quickest and easiest of the two techniques.

This plus acupressure on a couple of specific points on the head and hands gives fast relief anytime, anywhere.

Sinus flushing takes a little longer to do but it is very effective for blocked sinuses and even sinus infections.

Acupressure for Nose & Sinus Problems

Whether you have a head cold, a sinus infection, or a simple, stuffy nose when you wake up in the morning use these: Five acupressure points & two massage techniques

They will provide immediate relief and help to prevent these problems if you use them regularly.

Extra Massage Techniques

1. Nose Rub: Rub your hands together to warm them up. Use the palm of one hand to rub the tip of your nose in a circular motion, 15-20 times, then another 15-20 times in the opposite direction. Do this several times a day for sinus problems, nasal congestion and stuffy nose, and regularly as a preventative.

[​IMG] 2. Head Acupressure: Put your fingers on your head and use your thumbs to find then press 2 points - located either side of your neck muscles in a depression at the base of your skull.

Press deeply and rub for 1-2 minutes, several times a day, and regularly as a preventative, for sinus problems, head colds, headache and sore eyes.

[​IMG] 3. Hand Acupressure: This point is located about 1.5 inches in from the edge of the webbing between your index finger and thumb. Put your thumb on the point and your index finger on your palm and use a pinching technique to stimulate the point deeply for 1-2 minutes. Repeat on the other hand. Repeat 2-3 times a day, and regularly as a preventative, for sinus pain, blocked nose and headache.

Natural Sinus Remedies

In addition to acupressure and massage, these natural sinus remedies are also recommended. They are easy to prepare and safe to use for sinus problems, nasal congestion and blocked noses.
    Natural Sinus Remedy 1: Spring Onion Nasal Wash
    Ingredients: A handful of fresh, green spring onion stalks
    Method:

• 1. Pound the stalks to extract the juice
      2. Clean and blow your nose
      3. Soak 2 small pieces of a cotton ball in the juice, then insert one ball inside each nostril, just before bed. If it interferes with your breathing, make the balls smaller or do one nostril per night.
      Alternatively, lie down and use an eye dropper to apply 2-3 drops of the juice inside your nostrils, 2-3 times a day during a sinus infection or bout of nasal congestion, and regularly as a preventative.

<HR align=left width="100%" SIZE=2>Natural Sinus Remedy 2: Garlic Nasal Drops
    Ingredients: One whole bulb of fresh garlic

Method:
    • 1. Crush the garlic to extract the juice, then mix with twice as much water to make the drops, which should be stored in a glass jar.
      2. Clean and blow your nose.
      3. Lie down then use an eye dropper to insert 2-3 drops into each nostril - sniff fairly hard so the drops go right up your nose. If the solution irritates too much, reduce the number of drops. Apply 2-3 times a day during a sinus infection or head cold, and regularly as a preventative.
      Alternatively, make a paste with the garlic juice and honey, and apply it up inside your nostrils with a cotton bud.

<HR align=left width="100%" SIZE=2>Natural Sinus Remedy 3: Sesame Oil Nasal Drops
    Ingredients: Pure sesame oil
    Method:

• Lie down, then use an eye dropper to apply 2-3 drops of oil up inside each nostril, 2-3 times day, and regularly as a preventative. Sesame oil also relieves and prevents a dry and itchy nose - apply with a cotton bud in and around each nostril

<HR align=left width="100%" SIZE=2>Natural Sinus Remedy 4: A Breathing Exercise
    This excellent breathing exercise (Breathing Exercise 1: Sitting) emphasises forceful exhalation to expel stale air and impurities from your airways and lungs. Do it anytime your breathing passages and sinuses are blocked, and several times daily as a preventative.

<HR align=left width="100%" SIZE=2>Natural Sinus Remedy 5: Nose & Sinus Flushing
    Flushing out your nasal and sinus passages with salty water is one of the best natural sinus remedies. It's easy to do and is a highly effective way to relieve and prevent a stuffy, blocked, uncomfortable or painful nose and sinuses associated with head colds, allergies, sinusitis, rhinitis and hayfever.

How

• 1. Special pots (Neti Pots) are available for this purpose, however you can also use a 2-cup teapot.

• 2. Fill the teapot with warm water then dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt in it.

3. Squat in a bath or shower or bend over a sink. Turn your head to one side and tilt it so one nostril is pointing upwards.

4. Gently insert the tea pot spout into your upturned nostril and slowly begin pouring the solution into your nose. The solution should start running out your lower nostril, but may not if your nose is heavily blocked.

5. If your nose is badly blocked, use a finger to press your lower nostril closed, and gently suck the solution in through your upper nostril. This will cause the solution to run into your throat - spit it out as it collects there.

6. Continue pouring until 1/2 the solution is left, then switch positions and pour the rest into your other nostril.

7. When you've finished, clean your nose by blocking one nostril at a time with a finger and blowing air out through the open nostril. You may be surprised at what comes out!

8. This technique is highly beneficial but does take a little time to get the hang of. Persist though and you'll be rewarded with freer breathing, clearer thinking and less colds and sinus problems!

<HR align=left width="100%" SIZE=2>The Cause of Nasal Congestion & Sinus Problems

While trying the above natural sinus remedies is recommended, you also need to identify what's causing your particular problem. According to reports- two common causes of sinus problems and nasal congestion are:
    • 1. Low Immunity: This renders your body more susceptible to what in TCM are called "external influences" - wind, cold, heat, dampness and dryness - which can invade a weak body and cause respiratory and other problems. Paying attention to your diet (see below), getting enough sleep and exercise, and reducing emotional and physical stress all strengthen your immunity.

2. Weak Digestion: The by-product of weak digestion is excess fluid and mucus which collects in your lungs, nose and sinuses. Eating easily digested, nourishing foods and less cold, raw foods and drinks, and dairy products helps. Also, the simpler and blander your diet (at least until you clear up your problem) the clearer your sinuses and nasal passages will be.
      However, to determine the underlying causes of your particular problem it is recommended that you consult a qualified ENT doctor

2. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Many thanks for this post Sunitha!

I suffer from very abd sinusitis and this comes as a great news to me!

Thanks Very Much! :)

3. mssunitha2001

Thanks a lot dear sarajara for stepping in.....

Hope these tips prove useful to you....:thumbsup

4. Vimmala

Vimmala Senior IL'ite

If you sit under Cannon ball tree for 30 mts daily in the morning all your Nose, Diabetes problems will vanish (If You Are in Chennai/ Tamil Nadu

5. kalavati

kalavati New IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,

Thanks a lot for the post on sinus remedies. I've had sinus headaches before and always opted to take on-counter med. for fast & easy relief. This time, it has acted up with my Flu symptoms and got really worse for the past 2 weeks. Though, I'm taking anti-biotics now, I decided it is time I look for alternative treatment. Like always, being a part of IL, my search starts here and Lo! I find a complete solution package here. Glad, relieved and thankful to you. Atleast, I have something positive to look forward if even few remedies in this works. God Bless you!

6. mssunitha2001

Dear vimala and kalavati

Thanks ya....:)

7. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Very Informative. Thanks.but is it ok to do accupressure on our own without any consultation??

8. mssunitha2001

Dear swethasri:)

I got this as a forwarded mail.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

But about Hand acupressure...i can vouch bcos in indonesia...i have seen this practised by people around me...

9. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Dear MSS thanks for sharing this informative info....

10. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Suni
    Can you feel my deep breathe of relaxation...Yes dear am (a)cute sinus dweller.
    fed off with all sort of handy tips(and all sort of treatments too) and finally into the breahe easy stripes and nasivion nasal drops.(occasionally)
    Some fomentation before my sleep around the nasal area gives me some relief.

and..you won't believe this...used to get more block when am sitting even for a couple of minutes..so when feel like blocked..just give a hard shake to my nose.OR will have a quick walk shaking my head left and right...SICK!!!!

Now after going through your salubrious solutions have little confident within myself.
    Hope my sinus UNDER SIEGE now.
    THANKS a billion my buddy.Bow.Bow.Bow.