1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

High insulin

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by peartree, Oct 21, 2009.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi All

I just recently had my blood tests done and most of my results were normal. My doctor said that my insulin levels are slightly high (I was fasting) and prescribed 1 metformin 500mg for a week and to increase the dosage to 2 pills a day after a week.

Can anyone please explain in simple terms what high insulin levels means? Does it mean that I have diabetes? (Diabetes runs in my family) I tried reading on the internet what it means, but it seems too complicated :-( The doctor's assistant just gave me results on the phone and I wanted to talk to the doctor himself, but he said he will call back. I can't wait until then and I am very scared!!!!!!

2. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

To my knowledge.. high insulin levels in the blood called insulin resistance which can lead many other problems in future if not attended, dont worry, it is still curable.

You have to excercise well to burn calories that is consumed , then insulin will be used well and maintains balance. dont eat simple carbohydrates which increase insulin levels to use the blood sugar.

the simple rule is anytime we eat , our body produes insulin to use blood sugar as a energy, if the blood sugar at any point is increasing, pancreas tries to produce more an more insulin to work on that sugar.

• dont eat simple carbs(avoid white sugar, white rice, white flour etc)
    • eat complex carbs(brown rice, whole grains etc.)
    • excercise daily
    with life style modifications like above can reduce insulin resistance.

Insulin Resistance and Pre-Diabetes

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

skalluri

Thank you so much for your immediate response. So does it mean that I am prone to diabetes, and not that I am diabetic now????

I am cursing myself for all those visits to the Italian restaurants and Indian buffet places :hide:

4. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Dear Peartree,

you are not diabetic now (your fasting blood sugar should be below 100) but the condition of high insulin resistance indicates body is striving hard to keep the blood sugar under control and can lead to diabetic in future if not attended, watch your diet and have healthy habits. it is 100% curable. dont worry.

sujatha.