1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Desi diets for GERD

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Rapzee, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Rapzee

Rapzee Senior IL'ite

I was recently diagnosed with GERD. And so far we haven't been able to figure out the proper treatment because the medicine I was prescribed is not working. Therefore I am trying to make some lifestyle changes and one of them is my diet. But being an Indian Vegetarian I need some diet tips. Perhaps what to eat and what to avoid.

2. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

Hi My hubby had the same problem,and had visited so many docs.He was on medication for more than a year,but the condition persisted.
    What made a difference is when i stopped his tea and coffee.If you cant avoid,ensure you never have tea or coffee on an empty stomach.Ensure you have small meals regularly.Big meals with gaps worsens the situation.
    Stay away from fried food or food with too much of spice and garam masala.
    Cold milk helps to a great extent.

3. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

In addition to following the doctors advise things that may help are:

do not lie down for 2 hrs after a meal.
    avoid foods such as caffeine, tomatoes, oranges, spices ( garam masala), chocolates, fatty foods etc.
    avoid overeating and take small frequent meals
    drink plenty of water.
    Some medicines worsen the symptoms so check the side effects of the medicines he is currently on.
    do not bend down after eating , bend on ur knees in a straight fashion if needed.
    walking after having food also helps relieve some symptoms.
    and loosing extra weight may help.
    maintain a stress free lifestyle and do meditation etc. to help achieve that.

4. Rapzee

Rapzee Senior IL'ite

Thanks guys. I am actually not a big dairy person. I eat about two yogurts a day and that's about it. I don't even drink Chai or milk. Addition to that I am not a big fan of fried food. But I definitely am trying out the idea of small meals.

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Rapzee,
    I learned from seeing my DH and DD that their GERD is triggered by certain trigger food. It's quite similar to migraines actually. My dd has it bad with chocolates and paneer/channa varieties of food. She also has GERD induced migraines so when she knows her tummy is getting upset or feeling funny she avoids eating chocolate cake or anything g with cocoa in it even if she is offered some. With channa/rajma varieties she can eat it as long as it is cooked with a lot of ginger/garlic. Paneer also she needs it to be prepared in a specific way. Certain brands of milk/yogurt trigger GERD in her. Even among the organic varieties, she does get it when she takes certain brands of dairy.

My DH has to be on medication because his isn't controlled by diet alone. Even with the meds, if he doesn't exercise regularly, it gets worse. He runs 20 miles every week.
    He still avoids channa and all similar beans. He cannot eat greens like spinach etc. He can't eat any Greek yogurt. He cannot eat a lot of fruits. No raw salads etc. He cannot eat breads of any kind. The yeast is a big no no for him.

In my experience it's best you keep a food journal and record everything you eat. Once you track your food for a month or so, you will easily be able to pin point what food act as triggers and exasperate the symptoms.
    Also, if you don't already do, start an exercise regimen. It helps.
    Eat meals at proper times. Even one skipped or delayed lunch can give my DH and DD a bad day. So eat every meal. Eat small meals and add two snacks in your day. Don't go too long without any food in your stomach. Try avoiding fruits/diary etc on an empty stomach. Maintain the food diary to eliminate any offending food and you should see a difference.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. Rapzee

Rapzee Senior IL'ite

Thanks guys, I have made few diet changes. My reports came in fine. However despite of taking Prilosec for nearly 3 weeks my condition doesn't seem to get any better in fact it seems to be worsening. The doc did an ultrasound for my esophagus and that came okay so did the blood test. So now he wants me to go see "gastroenterologist to consider looking at the esophagus". Does anyone have medical advice as far this is concerned? My thoughts are to complete the course of the prilosec prescribe and then continue on with Over the counter high dosage of prilosec.

7. RevathiRani

RevathiRani New IL'ite

Hi, I am also facing similar problem, at least once or twice I need to wake up during night due to heart burn. I have been trying all the home remedies and nothing helped me to get rid of the problem. I am planning to buy wedge pillows which is specially designed for gerd problem. Before that I want to ensure that is there anyone tried wedge pillows and got relief..

8. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

Hey i dont know much about wedge pillow but i have heard that if u elevate your upper body while sleeping by putting hard books or something underneath your bed mattress so as to elevate the top part of ur bed at angle so stomach acid stays down due to gravity and does not travel upwards causing damage.

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Rapzee,
    Going to the gastro is a very good idea. If Prilosec hasn't worked, it's best to get an endoscopy done by a gastro to check your oesophagus and stomach for any issues.

L

10. RevathiRani

RevathiRani New IL'ite

Hi Rapzee,
    How is ur GERD problem. I have been also facing the same problem for 2 years. please share the tips in case if u get rid of the GERD. thanks