1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Keep That Back Pain Away [toi] Bangalore Edition

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by sunkan, May 3, 2008.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Keep that back pain away

Right posture, exercise, and some lifestyle changes will keep you free of back pain, says Dr Deepak Sharan

Why do people get
    back pain?
    Causes include heavy lifting, frequent bending, pushing, repetitive work, static postures, vibrations (in case of drivers), mental stress at work/home, anxiety, depression and job dissatisfaction. Potentially any of the components of the back, including bones, soft tissues, nerves or blood vessels can be a source of pain.In our experience, the most common causes are myofascial pain syndrome (due to an exquisitely sensitive knot within the muscle belly), fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, inflammatory arthritis, prolapsed intervertebral disc and failed back surgery syndrome.
    Most people with back pain show signs of disc space narrowing or disc bulges (commonly called spondylitis) on x-rays and MRIs. However,30 to 85 percent of painfree, healthy adults, depending on age, also show exactly the same changes and hence spondylitis is now usually considered inconsequential and not a cause of pain.
    These 'red flags' require urgent medical assessment - age of onset less than 20 years or more than 55 years, recent history of injury, constant progressive, non-mechanical pain (no relief with bed rest), mid-back pain, past history of cancer or steroid intake, unexplained weight loss, fever, spinal deformity, urinary retention/overflow, loss of sensation in the perineum or weakness in legs.
    How should back
    pain be treated?
    Research has shown that bed rest or corsets/belts/collars do not promote recovery and cause stiffness, muscle wasting, loss of bone mineral density, and chronic disability. Patients should stay as active as possible and return early to normal activities, including work. Pain killers and muscle relaxants may be used for a few days but have serious side effects if used longer.
    There is strong evidence that passive treatment modalities (massage, ultrasound, electrotherapy, laser and traction) are not helpful. Epidural steroid injections provide inconsistent and temporary results.Surgery for uncomplicated back pain has a failure rate of 40 percent or more in various studies and frequently patients become worse after surgery.
    The best outcomes are obtained from multidisciplinary programmes which typically include a variety of interventions,such as manual therapy, exercises, education, workplace visit,ergonomic modifications, cognitive behavioural therapy and fitness related activities including yoga.
    How can back pain
    be prevented?
    Sit with the back supported on the chair's backrest with the thighs sloping down slightly so that the hips are higher than the knees.
    Choose a mattress and pillow that provides firm support and avoid sleeping face down.
    Maintain an optimal body weight.
    Learn appropriate flexibility and strengthening exercises from an expert.
    Stand, stretch and walk every half hour of sitting. Give up smoking.
    Avoid high heels.
    While driving, sit on small wedge cushion which is higher in the back than the front.
    While bending forward bend from the hips and knees, and not from the waist.
    All organisations must provide mandatory training on ergonomics, on-site workstation assessments, fitness sessions and physical therapy. The benefits include healthier employees, increased productivity, less errors, increased competitiveness in the marketplace, less absenteeism,increased job satisfaction and job retention, and greater goodwill for the employer.
    (The author is a consultant in orthopaedics,rehabilitation and ergonomics)

[​IMG]

Admin Note: Here are related links on back pain that you may wish to read

Back Pain After C-Section
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/health-issues/200143-stay-away-lower-back-pain.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/health-issues/10973-prevention-of-low-back-pain.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/health-issues/123974-exercises-for-back-pain.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/blogs/recipiesdirect/low-back-pain-1327/
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/f...s/176642-back-pain-symptoms-tips-prevent.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013

2. soji

soji New IL'ite

Thanks Sunkan Mam For Such An Informative Message. I Have The Habit Of Sleeping Face Down. Now I Will Try To Avoid That. Thanks.

3. kavana

kavana New IL'ite

Ur giving nice information Thanks very much

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanku soji,
    happy i am of help here..sunkan

5. she123

she123 New IL'ite

hi..
    i had ceasarion for the delivery..and the problem starts form there..
    i can't read..i can't sit in front of the compuer ....i can't strain basically. for anaesthesia, they give me an injection on my backbone . right from that point, the pain spreads upwards to my neck. if i read, the bone behind my neck swells in 5-10 mts...

if i go to doctors....they give me some pain killers...

can anyone help me?

she

6. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunkan madam,

Thanks a lot for sharing with us. Very informative post !! 20 days ago, i read this post and I thought, I should show my mother-in-law. She is suffering from Slip disc problem. Mailed her this write up .

She is following the point specified :
    "Sit with the back supported on the chair's backrest with the thighs sloping down slightly so that the hips are higher than the knees."

My mother in law mailed me yesterday and told me that she is bit relieved in that position. Me and my Mother-in-law are thanking you for sharing it with us. I thought, I should share this with you.

Thanks a lot, once again.

7. Anu65

Anu65 New IL'ite

Hi Sunkan,one of my fiends is working in a marketing,as he completed his MBA last year,he has to travel one place to another for marketing purpose,because of this travel he is suffering from sever back pain,you have any remedy for this?