1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Depression and Women

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by coolblues, Jan 17, 2013.

Have you ever experienced depression?

1. Yes, it's a constant state for me

16 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Yes, I experience it occasionally

45 vote(s)
    53.6%
  3. I have experienced depression during major life events

24 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I have never been depressed

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Others (let us know in comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Editor's Note: Hi coolblues! Thanks for posting this article which a lot of women can relate to. Your contribution has been selected as Best of Forums and featured here.

---------------

246.jpeg

More than 15 million people experience depression every year and this numbers are always on the rise. Most of them are women and majority of them do not seek or get help on time. One in four women is likely to have experienced depression at some point in life. This clinical mood disorder can range from being mild to severe. Loss of interest, excessive crying, irritability, worthlessness, overeating, weight loss, weight gain, difficulty in focusing, suicidal thoughts, headaches, feeling guilty and exhaustion are some symptoms of depression.

Studies show that a woman is more prone to experience depression due to fluctuating levels of hormones that occur throughout her life. Puberty, pregnancy, menopause, menstrual cycle, childbirth, miscarriage are some peak times when the hormones fluctuate. Women having a family history of such disorders, physiological, social stress, use of certain medications, history of mood disorders in early menstrual years and lack of social and family support are more prone to suffer from depression. Medication and therapy are some of the widely used methods to treat depression.

Have you ever experienced depression? Take the Poll.

Do you sense depression and seek help? What do you do to get out of a bout of depression? Share your tips, you will help somebody who is in dire need of it...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
    8 people like this.

2. coolblues

There was an unexplained sense of loss and severe irritability during child birth. I was kind of prepared for this state and came out through the help of self-help books, talking to family and listening to good music. It was quite a tough period!

3. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Nice post coolblues.Many women don't even know that they are under depression and they take dire steps. Even i have undergone the state of depression after the birth of my second child. I came out of it by spending more and more time with my baby, watching films i liked , practising what i learnt(music) . It was an eight weeks period and after that vanished.

1 person likes this.
  4. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

postpartum depression (PPD) is a serious matter. most women are not really aware of it. i feel, all ob-gyns should inform the pregnant women under their care about this. depending on individual body chemistry each of us reacts differently to the surge of pregnancy hormones, during pregnancy and their withdrawal post delivery.

glad to know you ladies managed to handle it on your own!

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Coolblues dear a thought provoking post. Usually many women go into depression after menopause. For me instead of depression it was my hip bone fracture and in bed for two months which made me feel low. But I did not lose hope. With God's and elder's blessings and with the love of my family I could overcome it. They took good care of me and thanks to my sis in law also who looked after me like a mother. I used to spend my time hearing music, writing Sri Rama Jayam , reading spiritual books. Thanks to my neighbours and friends too who helped me a lot.

2 people like this.
  6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

I have experienced it several times due to family pressure and health problems of self & family members.

I have heard and seen people suffering from depression hence I knew the hell it builds up for the one especially when no family member understand and help the sufferer come out of it. Unfortunately i too faced this very same situation, as DH himself was and is still under severe work pressure & huge responsibilities at home & office. finally my Mother who with her kind words and timely advice, guided me the right way to come out of it.

Now i am taking every precaution (prevention is better than cure) to stay away from that by keeping myself engaged in my favourite hobbies, having my 'me' time. If any problems comes / people unnecessarily try to poke / hurt with their words or actions I surrender all those words, actions, situations at the lotus feet of the almighty, surrender myself and feel light. (these are advised by my mother and it worked for me!). Without medicines I could come out of this horrible state successfully.

Only when we consider it seriously and take it to our heart it steals our happiness, put us into a depressed feeling and make us a irritating person for others. Instead if we try to keep our cool and don't bother much it will give us peace of mind. If one cannot do it mentally, then there comes the role of flowers .... offer the flower to the God thinking you are surrendering all your worries, sadness etc with its cause, reason and instruments..... it gives a great relief to our mind.

Engage in hobbies. If you don't have one, better cultivate one soon. Hobbies comes to help you at any point of time in life when you need a diversion.

If you don't have any one around to speak few kind understanding words, don't expect it from them. As Lord Buddha rightly said "expectations brings sorrow". Instead speak to your friends, take a nice pleasant walk in the evening.... do a window shopping or enjoy your walk in a garden, watch your nature neighbours I mean the trees, birds, insects.... they will lessen the burden you carry in your mind. Watch the people around you, all have some problem or the other ... you may feel you are in a better position than them (consider yourself lucky).

Do not forget :- You are the first one to motivate 'the you' in you. Rest comes only next.

18 people like this.
  7. coolblues

Well said, mimur... I feel a person must be totally not egoistic to be calm when the environment is hostile.. ! Wonder how many of us are like you :( Certainly laud your efforts!

Regards.

8. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

I have also experienced depression many times..What has helped me is my natural attitude of being hopeful..Atleast in my life issues have sorted out on its own best without my interference..So i always believe whatever has to happen will happen no matter how hard you try for it or against it..So every time i experience sorrow i remember this..makes me feel better..

2 people like this.
  9. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Dear coolblues

I cannot say that I am totally minus ego. I too have... sometimes i could come over and sometimes I coudld not. When i come over it successfully it brings peace. I am just trying to remember everytime and with practice I am becoming successful so very happpy about it.

Here I remember an important mantra for art of living i.e. "Accept people as they are" which is very much needed to certain extent (atleast in a family) to keep our cool.

3 people like this.
  10. sublakshmi

sublakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi coolblues,

Thanks for this topic, u always come out with excellent topics related to health. Continue yr good work.

As for the topic somewhat I was feeling too low when I read mimurs it brought some positive vibes, Thanks mimur.

I normally accept people as they are but even then at times the people are very dear bring too much sorrow by their attitude. This I would come over with the help of Almighty. With his help I have come across so much traumas with ease, I hope this continues and let me not go into the state of depression.

Have a wonderful day.

2 people like this.