1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Dental issue of my four year old daughter

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by jayyu5, Nov 17, 2012.

1. jayyu5

jayyu5 Gold IL'ite

Hi I need some advice. My daughter is four and enough and she has four decayed teeth..we went to three dentists for opinions...all suggested root canal on all four of them..i am so upset..as she has to be admitted general anasthesia and they will put caps too.. is this really necessary. can anybody give inputs

Does anyone know any good dentist who will truly tell if rct is necessary.

One of my cousin told that till age of 6 no filling no rct..nothing is needed as all are milk teeth and they fall off.

thanks to let me know

am very concerened.

regards
    jay

2. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Come on.
    Try and meet some pead.dentist.
    I meet one here in Abu Dhabi for mt son and advised just to do filling for timebeing because the milk teeth will fall in time and SO NO ROOT CANAL is needed for 4 years old.
    So just do filling and enough, Which i did as per the Pead.dentist and he is fine

3. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Jay

Your cousin is not right. Doesn't mean the milk teeth needs no treatment when required just because its going to fall someday..your daughter is 4 and the first milk tooth falls at the age of 6-7 years. So, the same needs to be retained or saved till the time it is to leave. Got it ?

The milk tooth are very important for the permanent to come in right direction, Jay. The permanent tooth will be developing right below the milk tooth. If its removed early, then the below doesn't have a proper sense of direction and could come out all crooked. There are instances where the milk tooth is removed much early if the decay is too bad and could affect the neighboring teeth or the permanent below, then the empty space is maintained with something called.space maintainers.. now that is what is uncomfortable for any kid, trust me. Not a filling or RCT. Your daughter is lucky her teeth can be atleast saved. Hope you understand the importance now.

Also, the milk teeth helps in functions like chewing , biting and speech. So, it is there for many reasons.

Now, coming to the treatment part. 3 Dentists can't be wrong can they, Jay ? They all have just one intention.. To save your daughter's teeth. As a mom I totally understand how it feels to make a 4 year old sit on the dental chair for all those drilling, but its sad, the tooth wasn't taken care of well before. Don't feel bad now, just get them treated. Trust me, its the BEST solution.

I can offer you the different treatment options now.. If an RCT has been advised it means, the decay has gone in deep. So the decay needs to removed and empty space filled up.. the GA ( general anesthesia is suggested because more than 2 teeth are involved and a deep decay removal is what's to be done.

Talk to the Dentist on whether one tooth at a time can be done with local anesthesia and some local analgesic sprays which will numb the area. Make your daughter totally comfortable with the Dentist and visit them casually so that she or you don't have any fear before they start the treatment. You could get a cleaning in front of her to show that there is nothing to be scared ..

Jay, I have had a patient of 2 years old on whom I had to do a simple filling. They are way too difficult to handle at that age.. My heart broke to see them have decay.. I had just one word to those parents, don't repent now. Its up to us to take care of their teeth till they can totally.

Don't worry.. I totally understand your reason to be upset..but by not getting the teeth treated you are doing no good to your daughter. Please understand and make an appointment.

Take care. If you are fine, she will be fine !! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Also, Nija's daughter and your son are different. Have different amount of decay, extent of decay and maybe are at different levels at the permanent teeth birth.

Had her daughter, had the same deep decay or the life span of the tooth been less than what was needed even her Ped would've suggested the same RCT and not just filling. So, it doesn't work the same way for us just because our friend's kid is of the same age or if they had a different kind of treatment.

If the decay was minimal, then a simple filling was what you could've expected too. So, don't worry as I said and go ahead.

Best Luck.

1 person likes this.
  5. jayyu5

jayyu5 Gold IL'ite

thanks Preethi. Actually we had planned everything about treatment was planning to do it this week when the call from my cousin came and things went upside down. Getting charged now again. Thanks and appreciate your long reply. We tried doing a filling for her but she cried a lot and refused to co-operate. We ourselves as parents feel gen anest. is better as its one time mental agony rather than local. Thanks for your reply again.

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Good going, Jayyu. I remember o had a patient whose mom was fretting about GA ( general anesthesia ) and just didn't want to go through that. Her son had 7 teeth to be filled / root canal treated. About your kid's age. I had to treat couple of teeth together and it was a long process.. eventually the kiddo looked forward to come either for the pampering he got from his parents before and after the visit, the goodies I used to give away to kids( brush, colouring books crayons etc ) or to watch the cartoons played at my clinic. Well, kidsss !! ;)

As long as you understand the whole importance of milk teeth, it will all work well.. and please can you call your cousin back and correct her / his thinking. I mean its very important to spread the awareness and its no better time than now.

Take care and everything will be super fine.

7. mrskannan

mrskannan Bronze IL'ite

Hi DrPreeti,
    in Homeo we say it very differently. We treat the person as a whole. Here the kid has some other problem too which results as decayed tooth. You could check about this in other homeo sites.