1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

help me to postpone diabetes

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ndta26chennai, Oct 5, 2012.

1. ndta26chennai

ndta26chennai Gold IL'ite

hi,
    i had gestational diabetes,the range was too high.its now 9months after my delivery my sugar level is in borderline,my diabetologist said," iam diabetic".iam trying to keep it under control still its near the range.think iam in pre diabetic stage.is there any measures to prevent diabetes,r to postpone it ?i do ve post delivery weight gain,icant do dieting now as iam BF.iam doing 20mts of exercises daily?whatelse can help????iam worried a lot about this.

2. sumaramesh

sumaramesh New IL'ite

HI

You need to avoid rice and eat chapati..

Try eating this kinda foods..
    Chapati
    Broken wheat upma
    Broken wheat pongal,
    Broken wheat bisebele bath.
    Ragi

And google for Low Glyemic Index foods..

3. malathia

malathia Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Try avoiding rice, potatoes these are rich in carbohydrates. Do some walking this will surely reduce your sugar levels.

TC

4. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear OP,

I too had gestational diabetes. You will have to control your diet and weight. I guess in another 5-6 months you will be thru' with your BF. Then you can either go to your diabetologist and request him for a calorie or meal chart for you or you can take some preventive steps yourself.

For myself, I stopped taking sugar in my tea/coffee. I cut down on sweets, rice, potato, yam, pumpkin, white flour etc. Switch to olive oil if you can. Try to cook in minimum oil, reduce fried stuff and juices. Eat more of salads. Take a light dinner. The more you exercise, the better will be your metabolism. However, everyone's body reacts differently to food stuff so you will have to check which foods increase your sugar levels.

Buy a sugar monitor like Accuchek etc so that you can monitor your sugars at home. Every 6 months go for your HbA1c blood test. It is a simple blood test after fasting for 12 hours to check if you have been able to control your sugars in the past 3 months. I also go for annual eye tests.

The best preventive care for diabetes is to change your lifestyle - control your diet and increase your exercise. Though diabetes cannot be cured, it can be controlled effectively at home. So dont worry ..... just bring about some changes in your diet, monitor your sugar levels regularly and you will do just fine.

love,
    kylie

5. ndta26chennai

thank u.i too want to go for diabetic diet.i dont have anyone for help,iam the only person ve to take care of my child and look after house hold things,i should try all these few months later.

6. ndta26chennai

thank u kylie,iam doing the routine monthly check up as well as hb1ac.should start the diet once i stop BF.

7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

OP.
    Control your portion size...the quantity of food you consume over three meals should be broken down to 5 meal times.

Another thing is to wait for 30 mts after mealtime and do light exercise for 20-30 minutes.

8. lakshmisathish

lakshmisathish Bronze IL'ite

things will come to normal...
    u can worry abt ur weight after 3 years.. feed the baby well for atleast 2 and a half years...
    all ur fat will go off,,,,, if u feed ur baby well...

9. LightOfVictory

LightOfVictory Junior IL'ite

Hi,

Many have given you awesome advise. I just like to add one thing - 'do your own experiment'. See the effects of various food on your body by checking your sugar levels after eating each kind of food. When I had Gestational Diabetes , I have found the following :
    1. If you eat enough protein with every carb meal, BS doesn't spike immediately.
    2. Also, adding good fat with every meal like spreading ghee on Chapathi has a magic effect on BS. Don't believe in the myth that fat is bad or causes cholesterol. But eat only good quality fat, not the chemically refined vegetable oils. Of course, moderation is the key.
    3. Talking about wheat, it could spike your sugar as much as rice or more. Eating chapathi or idli, spiked for me but not rice with protein. I have heard the similar experiences from others. Also wheat has 'gluten' which may not suit everyone's gut even if there is no adverse reaction. Experiment and judge for yourself.
    4. Fixing the gut and fixing the metabolism will cure most of the ailments. I am researching and experimenting on this. Will update you with more advise once I find success on my own experiments :)

Vaikuntha likes this.
  10. kalaprabha

kalaprabha Silver IL'ite

Loosing just 5 pounds from your existing weight will surely push you away from prediabetic category.watch what you eat,adding enough protein ,vegetables and fruits will help you maintain healthy weight.Cut down on carb.Even I had GD while I was pregnant with my LO a year ago.Taking formula 1 nutritional shake while breast feeding is a good alternative,it helps control your borderline sugar.moderate household work will also help you to burn calories.

All the best!