1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Treating Anaemia, low haemaoglobin.

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Dewdrop, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

I'm in my early forties, housewife, mother of 2 teenagers. Feeling tired all the time, muscle ache, frequent headaches , esp. exhaustion doing usual regular chores during my period days, all this were diagnosed as being due to my low haemoglobin count. I've been prescribed medication to increase the iron content, but the doctor himself advised me to rely less on these pills & opt for iron-rich foods. Apparently the pills really really upset the stomach & coupled with my pre-menopause symptoms, he said it would be very tough for me to handle.

The main problem now is that I am a total vegetarian -- even egg, we don't consume. So apart from spinach & beetroot , I'm at a loss as to which other vegetarian foods contain iron. Can someone kindly give tips & suggestions for my problem.

Thanks,
    Divya.

Admin Note: Here are interesting natural tips to beating anemia (article and discussions)

Beat Iron Deficiency or Anemia with Healthy Food
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h...44-anemic-how-increase-haemoglobin-level.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/130623-vegetarian-iron-rich-foods.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/123980-iron-rich-foods.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/130623-vegetarian-iron-rich-foods-2.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h...40-please-suugest-foods-reduce-anaemia-1.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/61054-low-iron-level.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013

2. abhiadi

abhiadi New IL'ite

Hi Dear,

u can take dates and figs too..they r very rich in iron.
    also try diff leafy greens like methi,chaulia(its bit reddish in color) apart frm spinach..u can get them in indian stores.
    in fruits include pomengranates which r rich in iron.

as of now can remember this only.

take care

bye
    adi

3. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

hi dewdrop,
    beans can be great souce of iron.i think you can try Azuki beans(red beans). for 1/4c of Azuki beans you can get 20% of iron. you can find it in any chinese stores.

for more info:
    ADZUKI BEANS- Nutrition Information

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  4. Liveandletlive

Liveandletlive New IL'ite

Hi there, cashew nuts also have high iron content.Drumstick leaves, dates and particularly Brocolli is rich in iron and vitamin C which helps to absorb the iron easily.Eating vitamin c rich foods will also help the body to absorb the iron from other fruits and vegetables.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Are you sure you cannot take iron pills? If you are anemic, that is the fastest way to improve the iron count...diet is slow and sometimes is not enough. You should take them only with meals and usually later in the day...early morning is tougher. But above that...why are you getting anemic? If you are having periods where you are changing pads more often that every two hours, you need to have medical help. Also, another avenue is to do Chinese herbal medicine. I used to get something from my Chinese acupuncturist for my friend and it worked well for her to stop heavy bleeding.

6. Suriya

Suriya New IL'ite

I too have the same problem.
    I'm vegetarian. I have heavy periods. I'm nearing 40. Iron pills upset my stomach. Often I feel nausea. Even Ragi and other stuff rich in iron upset me.

One doctor told me that mint, corriander leaves, Nellikkai (better soaked in honey) can be added to improve iron absorption. Sapota fruit can also help.

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dewdrop,

I also had very low hb count before my son was delivered. Vandhana had made a diet chart for me, if I can find it in my mail box, I will post it here. In any case, increase your consumption of Vitamin C. It will enable the system to increase its ability to absorb iron. I ate a tablet called C Pink, it worked very well for me and caused none of the distress associated with iron tablet consumption.

8. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi, I am also on the recovery process from a very low hb level of 4.5. I had no symptoms absolutely. From 4.5 to 7.2 in 25 days was a really too quick a recovery process for me. But then I was at home on leave - so everyday I had, apart from iron pills the follg juice and I think this alone and not pills helped me. A combination of raw well washed and scraped beetroot, a generous handful bunch of palak, coriander, mint and curry leaves, one small piece of ginger, one amla, few soaked dates, one tbspn of honey, 2 spoons of powdered jaggery - all blended well and strained to a container full of iron rich juice. This I would keep in the fridge and have twice daily. This was suggested by my SIL.

Apart from this, I used to have beetroot/carrot/any greens in turns for lunch. Now I feel better. Though I travel a long distance for job, I do not feel tired and come back fresh. But nowadays, since the time I resumed duty, I do not find time to have this juice. Had I continued, my hb would have reached 12 or 13. Moreover since I still have my monthly cycles prompt and heavy, I think it is difficult to maintain the hb increase.

Even raisins - dry grapes are good.

9. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    Very happy to see so many suggestions.

Adi -- I have never bought figs as my family doesn't prefer it.. though I like it very much. Now is a good reason to enjoy it.

Narra -- Yes, I've started increasing beans intake ; last week was fully rajma !! I boiled & kept in fridge & used up in different dishes like subji, salad, as stuffing for paratha etc.

Liveandletlive -- I don't get drumstick leaves here though we all like it. Never knew that Vitamin C helps in absorbing iron ,now I will surely have some lemon/orange juice alongwith the meals.

Tina -- I used to have erratic periods & have tried a southindian herbal medicine [ powdered bark of a tree]... it became worse ![ Maybe it's genetic 'cos both my mum and her sister had similar probs. Esp. my aunt used to get her periods every 11 days! :spin]Then on a friend's suggestion I stopped eating soy products --[I loved the soya chunks & tofu] and I was immensely relieved of normal, periods returning . Now they are not that heavy but I get immense pain in my thigh muscles for over 6hrs. during the first day of the period. Then pain disappears & returns for the same duration during the 4th day -- drives me nuts ! :crazy. The doctor too advised it would be sensible to treat through food /diet for the first 8 weeks, then see how it goes.

Suriya -- Wish I could get sappota here, but nellikkai I've seen, so will certainly consume it. I also never knew Ragi had iron ..:hide:

Vidya -- I will enquire for the tablet in the drugstore. Will I get it OTC or do I need a prescription for it ? Yes please, if you find the diet chart do post it here. It would help others also who have this condition.

Mallika -- What a wonderful method to increase the hb level !! I have these ingredients at home apart from curry leaves & amla -- still can make right away with the other stuff. I'm a housewife , so I think can regularly have this yummy drink.

Thank you so very much friends, I now feel much more hopeful about treating my condition without any pills.
    Good health to all !
    Divya.

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I forgot to mention one other thing: use cast iron pans as much as possible. I am feeling really sorry for you low hemaglobin ladies....you must feel all dragged out. Just a moment of bragging: I just had mine checked and it was 15.5!

Divya: Menstrual pain is very very effectively treated through acupuncture. I used to have terrible cramps and they could be eliminated immediately. Those cramps were so bad the soles of my feet would ache so I was so glad to get relief. Here in the USA my personal belief is that the Chinese trained acupuncturist/OMD (Oriental medical doctor) are better than the USA trained acupuncturists. They have to pass accreditation through govt just like other types of doctors. I have a great one living near me who has helped me enormously over the years.