1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Homemade HAIR OILS recipes

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by vidhukumar, Nov 16, 2007.

1. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Re: Homemade Herbal Hair Oil: Recipes Please

Hibiscus is not Mandara/Mandaram.it is sembaruthi poo...in tamil

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

yes it is chembaruthi, no doubt

Attached Files:

3. sabari

sabari Gold IL'ite

thank you for the recipes

4. aryasonia

aryasonia Senior IL'ite

For Shel...Plz reply!!!

Hey shel u mention the following in one thread

"Always use home made oil. ( Coconut oil + Dried amla, curry leaves, hibiscus flower, methi, few neem leaves)"

I want to know that shud i mix and heat the ingredients or simly add the ingredients to oil and store...

5. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Re: For Shel...Plz reply!!!

Dear Aryasonia,
    I hope i've cleared your doubt in that same thread. :)

6. aryasonia

aryasonia Senior IL'ite

Re: For Shel...Plz reply!!!

Yes..I got it. thanxs a lot shel:thankyou2:

7. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Recipes---Hot Oil Hair Treatment

Ingredients
    • 1 teaspoon soybean oil
    • 2 teaspoons castor oil
    Instructions
    Combine ingredients then warm on low heat. Massage mixture into the scalp and hair. Wrap hair in a hot towel for 15 minutes. Shampoo & rinse out.

Rosemary Hot Oil Treatment
    (For Dry Hair)

• 1/2 cup of dried rosemary leaves
    • 1/2 cup olive oil

Combine ingredients then heat up until warm. Strain. Coat the entire scalp and ends of hair with the oil mixture. Wrap hair in saran wrap and a towel over that, leave on for 15 minutes. Wash hair twice to remove the oil. Use this treament twice a month or when your needs a deep conditioning. Leaves your hair shiny and rehydrated.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  8. rya

rya Silver IL'ite

Hair care-Oil

hi all,
    i would like to discuss my favourite topic here for hair care. i would like to remind old hair care techniques and ofcourse now my "Athai"(my father's sister) used to do hair care routines. Recently, i met her and she gave me a hair care recipe(icannot get everything here, but for people in india can be benefitted i think). I love to prepare home made hair oil with many herbs(this is my hobby) and i have a special interest to do so..my usual procedure is to add herbs in oil....Here goes my athai's recipe:

Ripen coconut milk(we have to prepare milk from kopparai thengai in tamil) = approx. 3-4 cups(which comes full in a kadai)
    soak one spoon of fenugreek seeds in a little bit of coconut milk the previous night.
    ingredients to grind fresh - one gooseberry,lil bit of curry leaves,one hibiscus flower, lil bit of tulsi leaves and the soaked fenugreek(we can even put karisalankanni leaves in this list, as per her suggestion)
    vetiver - tie vetiver in a small cloth with the help of thread so as to form a little sack, to put in the oil

take a kadai, pour the coconut milk. please be careful while selecting koparai and shd be of good quailty b/cos we should get oil from that. Now grind the given ingredients except vetiver(soaked fenugreek, gooseberry,curry leaves,karisalankanni leaves, hibiscus, tulsi) into a paste and mix it with the coconut milk. now, stir the milk at times, and u can see the milk boils. keep the flame low always. it will take time to prepare but this is the purest and good oil we get fresh from the ingredients. after sometime, all the moisture will go off and oil separates(it is time consuming). At that time, turn off the flame, put vetiver sack in that and close the kadai. The next day, take the vetiver sack out first, then, filter the oil. now u can add the vetiver sack again in the oil bottle. Now the oil is ready. keep the oil aside for 2 days. After 2 days,u can start using it. This is my athai's recipe and i am going to try rosemary herb instead of vetiver, and buy swad coconut oil from shop and follow the same procedure above, and prepare the oil. My athai suggested, this oil would be beneficial especially before head bath. give a hot oil massage with this oil..keep it in the head for one hour and then take head bath..it cools the head..Hope this recipe would be helpful to you all..Thanks

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  9. birraj

birraj Senior IL'ite

Re: Hair care-Oil

Hi Rya,
    Thanks for the recipe. I am also into making home made oil here. I got some ingedients and made paste and dried it in the sunlight. After that I am making the oil by boiling the vadais. It is very good. I am thinking of making pure karisalankanni oil by ayurvedic method. Here is the method I read in a book. 1/2 tsp of powder of karisalankanni into 1 cup of water boil it till it reduces to 1/4 cup and filter the decoction. Use the decoction and the same amount of oil and boil it till the moisture evaporates. I am going to try that this week.

Birraj

10. rya

rya Silver IL'ite

Re: Hair care-Oil

hi birraj,
    your recipe seems to be a very good one..can u tell me where we can get karisalankanni powder in USA? but u can take assurance that by making home made hair oils, i have not got any hair fall problem yet..sometimes i may even be tempted to buy hair oils from shop b/cos of it's perfume but after so many experiences, i came to a conclusion to mix and match herbs and see what happens..practically, it is giving very good results..u can continue this and let me know how it works for you..
    Thanks