1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hair Care of Telugu Ladies

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by an123, Feb 25, 2014.

1. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

I have always been in awe of women with very long and thick hair. Up until now my benchmark was Malayalee, Bengali and Punjabi women who according to most Indians have the longest and thickest hair. Their eating habits (fish, lentils and coconut) and hair regime (coconut and mustard oil) have been cited as the main reasons. But I remember always my mother saying that a real test to a woman’s hair thickness is when she ties a pony tail or plaits it. The girth/ diameter gives away the real thickness. When women let down their hair it is very deceptive because curly / wavy hair women would seem to have much more hair than straight hair women. Which I have many times witnessed too when I get a shock when I see some women in plaits or pony tail and realize their hair is not that thick after all and it is the trapped air among the hair strands and the puffy nature of the hair.

So when I recently relocated to Hyderabad, I was in for a shock for my ignorance. My whole impression that Malayalee/ Bengali/ Punjabi women had the thickest hair was totally erased. After seeing so many women in the streets with such long and thick plaits, I am convinced Telugu women may be the underdogs who have never been given the due recognition of having the best Indian hair. Another interesting observation was most of these women who had thick and long hair were not from the middle or upper societies. This makes evident the fact that whatever they were doing were home remedies and less salon hair treatments and commercial products. As I am in a goal to grow long and thick hair, I would like to understand more about the habits of Telugu women. I also strongly believe hair care is a holistic lifestyle approach and not just about a product which is applied on the hair and thus would be happy to hear about the following …
    1. What kind of oil do they use for the hair(coconut/mustard/peanut/sesame oil or any other?)
    2. Do they add any herbs to the oil?
    3. How often and how do they oil their hair?
    4. How long does the oil stay on the hair?
    5. Do they use any other hair packs on their hair? If so how often and how long do they keep it?
    6. What do they use traditionally to wash of the oil in their hair (not shampoos!)
    7. How do they dry their hair?
    8. How do they wear their hair at home ( tied in a bun/ plait/ or let down)
    9. What food items are included mainly on a daily basis in their food diet which could contribute to their thick hair growth? Some items that have been found to increase hair growth are the following , please let me know if any of this is abundant on a daily basis ( please note I am assessing a vegetarian diet)
    a. Frequency in a week for Dals and dal powder
    b. Frequency in a week for Green leaves
    c. Frequency in a week for Coconut based dishes and coconut oil
    d. Frequency of Usage of fenugreek seeds
    e. What kind of oil is used for cooking?
    f. Any others?

Hope the Telugu ladies in Indus ladies who come across this query would be able to enlighten me on what traditional methods they have been following or know of what their mothers/ grandmothers followed to have long and thick hair. It would be very helpful to me or others who are seeking to have good hair growth

Thanks
    AN123

3 people like this.

2. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Good post.. me not representing whole AP.. but here are MY replies:

1. What kind of oil do they use for the hair(coconut/mustard/peanut/sesame oil or any other?)
    Mostly coconut oil.. and weekly or bi-monthly sesame oil scalp message

2. Do they add any herbs to the oil?
    Mostly no herbs.. some may add henna powder

3. How often and how do they oil their hair?
    If there's a granny or some old aunt around, they insist on every day.. but usually its twice a week

4. How long does the oil stay on the hair?
    Mostly over-night

5. Do they use any other hair packs on their hair? If so how often and how long do they keep it?
    Never used hair packs.. except henna once in a blue-moon

6. What do they use traditionally to wash of the oil in their hair (not shampoos!)
    when we were kids, soapnuts extract was common.. my granny was around then.. but these days its shampoo..
    Sapindus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. How do they dry their hair?
    Its AP.. there's plenty of sunlight, throughout the year.. ofcourse no hair drier..

8. How do they wear their hair at home ( tied in a bun/ plait/ or let down)
    Never let down... always tied in a bun

9. What food items are included mainly on a daily basis in their food diet which could contribute to their thick hair growth?
    a. Frequency in a week for Dals and dal powder
    Almost every day dals.. no meal without dal

b. Frequency in a week for Green leaves
    Daily or alternate days

c. Frequency in a week for Coconut based dishes and coconut oil
    Never cook in coconut oil.. though we don't use coconut as widely as mallus, coconut chutney is very common in breakfast

d. Frequency of Usage of fenugreek seeds
    Depends on the region.. coastal AP they use lots of fenugreek seeds..

e. What kind of oil is used for cooking?
    Sunflower or peanut oil..

f. Any others?
    Stay healthy and be tension free..

5 people like this.
  3. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

I second indoc for her answers.

4. mrunalini01

mrunalini01 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Good post an123

Agree with you that Telugu women have good hair. The secret is we love to keep hair natural and simple. Your interest in this topic increases if you see the paintings of telugu girl by famous director 'Bapu'. Telugu people describe beautiful girl as bapu bomma who has very thick long hair adding charisma to her personality.

Well, regarding hair care, indoc answered most.

BTW, you remembered me, three of my best friends in school days who have long hair upto knees. They plait hair two sides with white ribbons( compulsory in school) even then hair length comes down the shoulders. And one of my college mate has very long hair, though it's not thick it looks nice tapering at the end. when she plaits one side and wears chrysanthemum or rose flower it looks awesome.

5. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Indoc for replying to all the questions. It helps in me understanding the lifestyle and homecare regimes

6. mrunalini01

mrunalini01 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

laugh1smiley

7. jingi92

jingi92 Gold IL'ite

it is very tru ....... i second indoc's version too ... me here now in chennai but basically from AP ..... (now no more AP how sad .... ) ... my servant there used to say "sometimes when there is nothing to wash my hair with i even use rin soap" ... quote unquote .. and i hv always envied her hair .. sooo thick .... i think it is mainly greens in the dal every day that is the trick behind it ..

lets see if any others come up with something better :) .. so we cud follow too .. since having come to chennai i hv lost a lot of hair .. and cribbing each time i comb it ..

8. vanivineela

vanivineela Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Nice post.
    Very useful for me as I am losing lot of hair after my delivery.
    Whatever I am using, I am not able to stop hair loss.
    All kinds of foods, oils, massages, shampoos, OMG. nothing worked out Witsend
    I left every hope now, using Shikakai shampoo.
    Awaiting for more good tips to help me out wid a solution.

Thanks
    Vineela

9. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

I don't have tips to share but I just want to know anything helped them with hair growth and reversing hairloss.

I'm longing to have long hair too..what to know if elchuri or other tips worked for any

10. yogakriya7

yogakriya7 New IL'ite

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. I am of Telugu background, and my parents both have straight hair. My mother has very thick straight hair, and my father has slightly wavy medium thickness hair. When I was a child, my parents had the tonsure (head shaving) ceremony for me (puttentikallu), and my hair has been UGLY ever since. I was born with REALLY soft curls; now, I have VERY tight curls that are REALLY dry and brittle. My hair is incredibly thick and coarse, and no amount of oiling (even after 16 years) has been able to help my hair. For my Telugu ladies out there, if I shave my head one more time (Tirupati ceremony), would it grow back softer, like my baby hair? My hair went from completely soft to bristly and unmanageably thick and dry. I want to have my baby hair back; how do I get it back?!?!? Again, the question is, will shaving my head give me back my soft curls?