1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do I lighten dark hair withour bleaching?

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by Sandybeach, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Sandybeach

Sandybeach Silver IL'ite

Hiya all,
    This is my first query on IL, I have naturally very dark brown hair. I would love to have my hair in light brown (not blonde,but light brown with gold undertones-not red which is much easier to achieve). But all the stylists that I have ever consulted have only one answer-I cannot. Their suggestion is all the same color my hair in a color that is somewhat the same as my natural color and then highlight it with whatever color I like. But I want all of my layers to look evenly light and not just highlighted. My hair feels dry and damaged so I dont want to bleach it. Any alternatives??

2. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

I'd go with what the stylists say-dark hair is very hard to lighten without "lifting" the color with chemicals. You may be able to lighten it somewhat with haircolor from the store, but there is not a guarantee that it can be done. I'd first try to resolve the dry/damaged feel of the hair (damaged and dry hair can absorb color oddly and unevenly), and go from there. Start with highlights, or see if you can "test drive" a lighter haircolor through the magic of computers and digital photography, as a light brown may not work with your skin tones.

3. Sandybeach

Sandybeach Silver IL'ite

I have tried highlighting my hair with dark blonde in the past and loved the result. From the reactions of my family and friends, I can say it looked great...from different coloring experiences I think I can pull off light browns..you are right, I have had several self made color-at-home disasters and also disappointing salon experiences which is why I want to kniw exactly what I wnt this timebefore I go o a stylist...I dont want to go there and ask for advice and go along with it only to find out that is just not what I wanted! And usually such things require you to wait it out so I spend the next few months hating my hair...regarding dry hair, It's fine he day I wash it but gets frizzy at the roots the dy after until the next wash...i there anything i can do about it? i usually oil my hair efore washing and use a good conditioner and a leave in

4. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

You may be putting too much on your hair-the oil, the conditioner, and the leave-in, if you are doing this every shampoo. Try rinsing with vinegar, or using a protein pack (like egg or mayo), and let hair dry naturally (if you don't already). Strangely enough, oil treatments can contribute to dry, frizzy hair. From personal experience, VA can be humid (not just in the summer, either), so try a silicone based frizz-control serum if other suggestions don't work (the silicone will seal the cuticle of the hair, and reduce frizz).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011