1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Opportunity for H4 visa holders

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by anitha.ksamy, Jul 14, 2008.

1. anitha.ksamy

anitha.ksamy New IL'ite

Hi,
    This is Anitha here, I have seen a lot of topics about H4 visa holders and how they can work in the US....
    This reminds me of one of my friend whom I know in 2006.. she was on H4 visa but was working for a company (a regular 8 to 5 job 5 days a week) as a testing consultant through a consulting company...
    But I remember she said to me that as per papers she is volunteering for the consulting company... but the consulting company charges the actual company on a hourly basis....
    the contract between my friend and this consulting company is that... once a sufficient amount of money she has earned for the consulting company they will pay for processing h1 for my friend at-least 2 different H1's.. and once she gets the H1 she would come on the consulting companies pay roll and the consulting company would pay my friend whatever she earned before h1 as a joining bonus...
    That way my friend got the visa, got the money as one lump sum... and the consulting company also made money...
    she said to it was a good opportunity.. but due to the risk of it we didn't pursue it ...
    what you think? is that a good option? if anyone interested I could get more details...

2. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

Anitha

I dont know how many companies or people would really be engaged in such situations....am sure if the Immigration dept finds this out..both the company and the consultant will be black listed...I have never heard anyone doing this....

Yes i have heard H4 people working from home like home recruiters (free lancing) for the consulting companies to hire consultants or place consultants and getting % or fixed amount per consultant they refered ...this is paid like a volunteer effort..however I dont know in this case also how the taxes are paid or deducted or sometimes taxes are not paid at all...which didnt really effect anyone...just like baby sitting or catering from home...done by H4 working women...

3. deeyash

deeyash New IL'ite

This is a good idea, but when it comes to risk factor we really cant relay on anything. On the other side we see that both are benefited. The person gets the H1B visa and the employer or the consulting company makes money.
    If we are ready to take the risk i think this is a good option.
    Regards
    Deeyashu

4. scorpiogal

scorpiogal Senior IL'ite

Be ware

Your friend might be the lucky ones but there are lot of scammers out there will try to exploit .

i WAS IN h4 FOR 5 LONG YEARS AND NOW FINALLY GOT MY EAD and started to work again

5. charusarathy

charusarathy New IL'ite

Hi
    i am newbie on my H4 Visa,I like to know if there are some opportunities, courses or workshops,volunteer jobs in and around chicago to keep myself occupied.. all valuable inputs welcomed...
    cheers
    Charoo

6. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

I think there are very few consultants who take risk and just might be lucky enough to get placed in such a consultancy.

Even i am looking out for options to keep myself occupied and to get start working.

Cheerss!!!!
    Pandu

7. SuganyaJawahar

SuganyaJawahar Senior IL'ite

Anitha, Pandusk, Charusarathy

I am pretty sure that, at the present situation, none of the desi consultants are encouraging any kind of employment like you have mentioned.
    What you have mentioned has happened in 2006 which was a BOOM period. Many desi companies were in need of skilled and low-paid employees at that period. Even if they are not skilled, the companies had provided career training and made the employees work.
    Now, in 2009, Most of the desi companies are not even willing to sponsor for H1B. So forget about any shady employment. It will definitely cause a big problem.

Pandu,
    "I think there are very few consultants who take risk and just might be lucky enough to get placed in such a consultancy.

Even i am looking out for options to keep myself occupied and to get start working.
    "
    Its not the question of who gets lucky .
    Currently, I do not know any consultant ready to file for H1B since its already too late. However, USCIS is still accepting for H1B filling. So, you can enquire around. But before you proceed with any company, do a proper research about that company. Since, I've heard that so many consultants are getting the money and not filling the H1 at all. Hence, EOD we miss out our money as well as we dont get our H1B. Be CAUTIOUS in what you do.

Good luck on your search and keep updating. It helps for others who are in search.

1 person likes this.
  8. mansi19

mansi19 New IL'ite

hi you are in california..i am also in california and on h4 :( this is the worst thing i am facing..can you help me in finding out the way for a job as i know every1 would love to work i mean after sitting at home for so long..
    hope to c yr reply soon

9. geeti

geeti Senior IL'ite

Hey girls,

I am also on H4 visa and I was working for the Indian Embassy in Washington DC. There is no paper work and they also pay you like 1000$ a month. The job is basically admin related. You can call them and ask for upcoming job opportunities. I was bored to death so I didn mind working there. :)

At the end of the day you get to earn your own money as well as roam arnd DC!!:cheers

Ciao
    Geetika

10. aks_1985

aks_1985 Senior IL'ite

HI geetha

Thats a good idea ..i will make sure i wil call the embassy and ask for opportunity..

Akshata