1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Can we study on H4 status? Or need to change to F1?

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by josh, Aug 24, 2006.

1. reddy1101

reddy1101 New IL'ite

Re: You in Singapore or US?

Hi,
    Iam also living in santa clara, ca. Iam currently on H4, now planning to join in any college to do MS. Can u suggets me any Universites. Iam planing to join in summer. I want to complete Master & i want OPT after completion of study.Thanks in advance.

2. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Hi Swe,

I will try to answer as many questions as I possibly can. I may not have answers to a few of them, as rules may have changed or they may just be things I am not aware of.

1) Before applying for an MS program, make sure you can provide notarized transcripts for your UG and MBA programs, as they need you to have a minimum of 16 years education. If some of the courses offered in the program are the same/similar to ones you did during your MBA program, you may be able to get a waiver on those courses. This is specific to the school you choose and whether they offer such waivers, but something to think about. I saved on two courses and therefore the cost associated (close to $6k)

2) As for tuition fee, I believe there would be no difference in the cost of courses based on your immigration status (at least that's how it was when I did it); however, one important thing to note is that on H4, you can choose to take one or more courses at a time, whereas being on F1 requires that you take a minimum of 3 courses or a certain number of credits each semester. Again, check with the education counseller at the school(s) you will be applying to.

3) Frankly, I lucked out. MS in HR is not considered a specialty and therefore chances of a company sponsoring your H1B is bleak. My husband advised me to pursue my interests and we took that risk of not finding a sponsor. However, while I was on my CPT/internship, we got EAD via GC application and I did not even use my OPT. If your husband's green card application is in process and at a stage where your chances of receiving EAD are looking bright, I would say take the plunge. However, if that is not the case, and you are certainly hoping for someone to sponsor you, I would suggest giving it some serious thought again.

Glad to answer any other questions, so feel free to ask.

Best wishes,
    Shal

3. hmishra

hmishra Platinum IL'ite

Hi all ....

I need HELP !!!

I cannot waste another year sitting at home since I dint manage to get an H1b this year. Just came to USA 2 months back and I need HELP.

Can someone please tell me what can I study for 1 year to 1 and half year in the field of computer science ... I'm in California.. and I don't want to study for 2 years (MS is for two years I guess) !!! I just want to study for 1 year on F1 and strt working...!! Does anyone have any idea abt how do I go about it??? Iv googled with no luck with the results!!

-ConfusedNewUSAResident

PS: I have a masters in computer application from india and 1 year of IT experience from India

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  4. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

I really don't think there is anything that you can do in 1 yr. You might be able to do some online course or certification but you might not be eligible for F1/OPT/CPT etc.

5. hmishra

hmishra Platinum IL'ite

Oh.. that's just bad!! Thanks for the response though..

6. ChubbyGirl

ChubbyGirl New IL'ite

hi hmishra,

You can complete MS in 1 and half years if you take course option instead of project. Many students are finishing this way as project takes long time to complete. But you need to check the university if they have this option. Some universities dont have this option.

7. shreeka

shreeka New IL'ite

Ladies,

You can study while still on H4 and avail an advantage too. If you have been on H4 and lived in the state where you reside for over 6 months then the tuition fee will be considered in-state ( the same as citizens or other residents of the state ) If you apply through F1 you will be considered an International student obviously but also out-of-state tuition fee will be charged. Usually the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition fee is considerably huge.

8. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shreeka

Every state has a different policy, not all states consider H-4 students as in-state fee. In New Jersey only green card and citizens can avail of in-state, H-4 is considered to be out state. In New York, you have to live in New York for at least two-years before you qualify for instate. So every state has a different policy, you cannot claim instate everywhere.

9. sridevi6886

sridevi6886 New IL'ite

Re: Any H4 to F1 cases here ?

hi ruchira,

My name is sridevi. I live in bay area, having plans to study. I have done my BCA back in india. I know there are only few colleges which agree 3 years of indian education as under graduation. could i please know wat was ur UG which helped u to do full time MBA here. please advice..

10. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Re: Any H4 to F1 cases here ?

Welcome to UCSC Silicon Valley Extension | UCSC Extension Silicon Valley

This is in Santa Clara.

You can take courses where you will be able to change your visa from to F1 ( Provided you are in H4) and and you get 1 year OPT.

I have seen girls joining internships ( Unpaid) along with the course so, by the time they are done with classes they have an year US experience and 1 year work visa, where they find their H1 Sponsor.

I don't know if they have accept 3 year degree.

Good Luck.

1 person likes this.